Midfield?

Sparkle

1 minute ago, Duracell said:

The position still exists, and that's the kind of player we need to have to play 4-3-3 effectively with the lightweight midfielders in front of the CDM. So in that sense, he's still very relevant.

Same could be said for the need of a Martin-type played at CF.

You see my point though. I think a Thorne type player should be top of the shopping list. But that player will have to be brought in as we only own the idea of one. 

As for Martin, I find it staggering given his injury 2 years ago and his absence this season, that a manager of SM pedigree has never found a way of playing without him. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TroyDyer said:

You see my point though. I think a Thorne type player should be top of the shopping list. But that player will have to be brought in as we only own the idea of one. 

As for Martin, I find it staggering given his injury 2 years ago and his absence this season, that a manager of SM pedigree has never found a way of playing without him. 

A Thorne-type player has been top of the shopping list since 2014. But instead every summer it's "look!! another pacey winger who can't cross or pass!! who else is excited?".

The CF thing is crazy. Doesn't even need to be someone who scores as many goals at him, we just need someone who can pass the ball quickly to someone running past him or near him. The are players in League One who do that.

That's what cover is supposed to be. Not as good as your first choice, but similar.

4 hours ago, Duracell said:

A Thorne-type player has been top of the shopping list since 2014. But instead every summer it's "look!! another pacey winger who can't cross or pass!! who else is excited?".

The CF thing is crazy. Doesn't even need to be someone who scores as many goals at him, we just need someone who can pass the ball quickly to someone running past him or near him. The are players in League One who do that.

That's what cover is supposed to be. Not as good as your first choice, but similar.

I'm hoping that Nugent was bought for that reason ...

He really needs to start over bent,as terrible as that may seem,just to see if he can do the hold up cf role.

We need to not worry about the result too much and start assessing players like him sharpish....

9 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

Just a tad mate. Obviously that's your opinion so i'm not going to fault you for that. But I agree with Butterfield & Bryson. Thorne & Johnson are some of the best players in this league on their day. 

Thorne is outstanding but he's perma-crocked. If I had any degree of confidence that he'd be fit to play even two-thirds of a season I'd keep him. Sadly, I don't. As for Johnson, nope. Everything is up for argument but I just don't rate him although I accept I'm probably in the minority in holding that opinion tbh.

12 hours ago, Simsy said:

De Saart Johnson and Hughes.

De Saart is lucky I am including him but Johnson is better further up and has that muscle we lack. That's with 3 in midfield. I actually think Johnson is key in any midfield/formation we have because the others are so lightweight.

Totally agree. Johnson is the one who provides the 'oomph!'

On 15/02/2017 at 07:30, Simsy said:

De Saart Johnson and Hughes.

De Saart is lucky I am including him but Johnson is better further up and has that muscle we lack. That's with 3 in midfield. I actually think Johnson is key in any midfield/formation we have because the others are so lightweight.

De Saart will be lucky if he ever starts again, thought his passing which we supposedly bought him in for tonight was awful I'm afraid.

Seldom do I post negatively but I hate loan players coming in, taking the shirt of permanent players if they are no upgrade. Tonight's performance told me he is no upgrade. Just how many balls did he over hit? 

May be still learning but he might as well have been wearing clogs at times.

3 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

De Saart will be lucky if he ever starts again, thought his passing which we supposedly bought him in for tonight was awful I'm afraid.

Seldom do I post negatively but I hate loan players coming in, taking the shirt of permanent players if they are no upgrade. Tonight's performance told me he is no upgrade. Just how many balls did he over hit? 

At this point what do we gain by playing him from now on? And I agree about loan players, I don't like them unless they are signed with a view to a proper signing.

10 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

He put in at least 2 or 3 absolutely top quality balls, I remember one mis placed pass but overall thought he looked one of our better players tonight. 

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

So how come De Sart got MoM? #confused

Really?!! #baffled.

Someone watched a different game to me. Mind I'd be embarrassed for any one to get MoM, couldn't even give it Carson, he had so little to do. Maybe Keogh at a stretch. Opinions eh.

2 minutes ago, Davide said:

He put in at least 2 or 3 absolutely top quality balls, I remember one mis placed pass but overall thought he looked one of our better players tonight. 

Funny I seem to recall several finding touch, there you go, as above different opinions. Didn't cut it for me.

2 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Really?!! #baffled.

Someone watched a different game to me. Mind I'd be embarrassed for any one to get MoM, couldn't even give it Carson, he had so little to do. Maybe Keogh at a stretch. Opinions eh.

Wot?

I didn't see the game and I'm asking how then De Sart got MoM after reading some of the previous comments.

4 minutes ago, Davide said:

Only one? Bizarre. He played many balls that went out of play, or missed the target completely.

Archived