Midfield?

Sparkle

Just now, Zag zig said:

Funny I seem to recall several finding touch, there you go, as above different opinions. Didn't cut it for me.

Maybe but I was impressed with a couple of long range deliveries, thought his vision is good. Possibly the disappointment of the night just highlights the mistakes. I don't think anyone had a particularly great match. As ever, too many players are not performing to a level we need. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Wot?

I didn't see the game and I'm asking how then De Sart got MoM after reading some of the previous comments.

See below, I'm truly surprised some rated his performance, that's it in a nutshell 

7 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Only one? Bizarre. He played many balls that went out of play, or missed the target completely.

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Only one? Bizarre. He played many balls that went out of play, or missed the target completely.

I honestly remember one shocker and can't remember another or if they were misplaced, it was a long range pass that was just slightly off. I thinks we need players like this who gamble with a long pass or two. His vision is good and I honestly saw a different player to what you did tonight- I thought he looked decent when others were having bad matches

Just now, Davide said:

I honestly remember one shocker and can't remember another or if they were misplaced, it was a long range pass that was just slightly off. I thinks we need players like this who gamble with a long pass or two. His vision is good and I honestly saw a different player to what you did tonight- I thought he looked decent when others were having bad matches

Fair enough if that's what you saw. He certainly tried the ambitious passes, but I lost count of how many went out for throw ins etc, it is interesting what a different perspective shows! Personally, I thought he was probably our weakest midfielder today, as I thought some of his passing was woeful.

1 minute ago, Davide said:

Maybe but I was impressed with a couple of long range deliveries, thought his vision is good. Possibly the disappointment of the night just highlights the mistakes. I don't think anyone had a particularly great match. As ever, too many players are not performing to a level we need. 

Too few to impress me, suppose my real point though is that I don't see him a massive upgrade, so just don't see the point of him dispossessing a player we have under contract, but I'll go with everything else you say. :)

Just now, Andicis said:

Fair enough if that's what you saw. He certainly tried the ambitious passes, but I lost count of how many went out for throw ins etc, it is interesting what a different perspective shows! Personally, I thought he was probably our weakest midfielder today, as I thought some of his passing was woeful.

Let's just agree none of our players were good enough!! Thought Burton looked disciplined though. At least they didn't play us off the park like in the reverse fixture!

Just now, Davide said:

Let's just agree none of our players were good enough!! Thought Burton looked disciplined though. At least they didn't play us off the park like in the reverse fixture!

Definitely agree with you on that one! Burton were organised, but looked nothing special (understandably considering their league position). 

28 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

De Saart will be lucky if he ever starts again, thought his passing which we supposedly bought him in for tonight was awful I'm afraid.

Seldom do I post negatively but I hate loan players coming in, taking the shirt of permanent players if they are no upgrade. Tonight's performance told me he is no upgrade. Just how many balls did he over hit? 

May be still learning but he might as well have been wearing clogs at times.

De sart won MOM today, dunno what game you were watching but it certainly wasn't the one I was, where he had a pass accuracy of over 80%..

6 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

De sart won MOM today, dunno what game you were watching but it certainly wasn't the one I was, where he had a pass accuracy of over 80%..

Ok, pass rates are poor stats if you dink them sideways a few times anyone can have a high rate. I'll give anyone that he hit a couple of decent ones but my eyes saw a few too many go way long and I guess a couple more thought the same. I'm open to him proving me wrong but I'm not convinced.

Just have to disagree then..

5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Wow, I saw a 50/50 ratio on his passes unfortunately most seemed to be of the sideways variety, I also would never have given him mom in fact did anyone deserve it? 

5 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Wow, I saw a 50/50 ratio on his passes unfortunately most seemed to be of the sideways variety, I also would never have given him mom in fact did anyone deserve it? 

Sideways mainly,backwards a lot,out 6 or 7 times,but rarely forward.Looked like clements continental crap tonight.

I'd sign de Sart permanently in the summer, if possible.

I think he's not the full package yet, but he's got what this team desperately lacks at times; aggressive passing.

Even if you contend that his passing isn't consistent enough, in a match where we were really meandering and not looking to be going anywhere, he was the player always trying to be positive and aggressive with the ball. He's similar to Thorne in that regard and I think he'd be the perfect DM competition for him. 

I also think he'd be better next season as well, once we get a striker who can drop and take the ball to feet. He would also benefit from having an energetic midfielder ahead of him too, a luxury that Thorne, Mascarell and Eustace were all blessed with. He's having to try and get the ball out to the wingers very directly at the moment, because we offer nothing down the middle at all. I feel that de Sart would dominate the game more if he wasn't always having to try and play the Hollywood pass to Ince or Anya down the wing...

I think he'd be a really good investment. Give McClaren a bit of time to coach him and some proper game time. I dont think he's playing at what would be considered full match fitness in England right now, he's got a high ceiling once he bulks up a bit. In time I think he could be nearly as dominant as Thorne is.

He's alright now, but he could be frighteningly good by Christmas.

Some of you watched a different game to me. De Saart every now and then plays a brilliant 50 yard pass the rest end up with the opposition. Other than his debut I have seen enough of him to think he really does not improve us so I wouldn't sign him permanently.

As for Butterfield I still would be asking for a refund.

McLaren got it wrong last night with the selection, we need Johnson in there.

7 hours ago, Sparkle said:

I'd have said he was well worthy of it, thought many of his passes were Thorne esque- hence why I was so confused to see so much criticism. Definately our best player today in my view, clearly I'm in the minority, but there we go

15 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Some of you watched a different game to me. De Saart every now and then plays a brilliant 50 yard pass the rest end up with the opposition. Other than his debut I have seen enough of him to think he really does not improve us so I wouldn't sign him permanently.

As for Butterfield I still would be asking for a refund.

McLaren got it wrong last night with the selection, we need Johnson in there.

I watched the game where Butterfield was our best player in terms of passing, running, creating and shooting, ably backed up by De Sart. It was the third midfielder who failed last night. Again. 

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody want to debate De Saart's virtues tonight?

Ok in his defence, we were playing a top team, their performance was almost as commanding as ours against them in the play offs a few years back; moving swiftly on....

My main point previously, someone tell me tonight what playing a bang average at best com does for team morale of those with more experience already on our books and contracted to us next year? The unfortunate unlucky George will we ever see him again (sigh) is our No1, Johnson is a capable stand in when fit, despite passing limitations, gives massive presence but De Saart?

Would rather play Hughes, Butterfield or Baird holding or any combination of two at the back than a kid not likely to be here next year. His signing was a nothing for me, so now the season is gone I'd rather see some academy kid like Elsnik in whatever formation given experience, time to groom our own not someone else's reserve.

Please don't pick him again.

Archived