Season over

Sexydadbod

3 minutes ago, mrdave85 said:

Pearson's time in charge was awful. Take any 9 game stretch this season under McClaren vs Pearson's and the record is always better. He won 1 game in 9. To even get to the playoffs after that start is nothing short of incredible. We went 10 games unbeaten, winning 8 of them.

You've mentioned 4 games, the same set of players under a different coach have dramatically turned this season around. I can't see how anyone can blame McClaren after the start we had if we don't make the play offs. 

Has another team turned their season round like we have? 

Not blaming Mac, the common denominator is the players and their performances, I said it under Pearson and I will say it again, once a player crosses that white line he has to take responsibility upon the pitch. 

Cardiff currently sitting 12th?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, toddy said:

Not blaming Mac, the common denominator is the players and their performances, I said it under Pearson and I will say it again, once a player crosses that white line he has to take responsibility upon the pitch. 

Cardiff currently sitting 12th?

I'm sure they'll (annoyingly, cause I can't stand the p***) will continue to improve under Warnock. I think the difference being we've hit a bad patch now while it took them a few weeks to get going.

If we win our two games in hand over Leeds, we're 5 points off them, I don't understand the mentality of the season being over until it mathematically is. 

1 hour ago, mrdave85 said:

I'm sure they'll (annoyingly, cause I can't stand the p***) will continue to improve under Warnock. I think the difference being we've hit a bad patch now while it took them a few weeks to get going.

If we win our two games in hand over Leeds, we're 5 points off them, I don't understand the mentality of the season being over until it mathematically is. 

Mathematically no, of course not, but if you had to base judgement on what we are seeing on the pitch....

On 2/14/2017 at 21:43, McLovin said:

Not going to make the play offs because the teams above us are too good and consistent(lots of late goals for our rivals). We don't deserve to make the play offs if we concede 7 goals in 2 games against rubbish teams anyway. We aren't going to get relegated now, might as well try and integrate some more youth players into the team if possible!

You sure bud? I thought the season ended May 29th with a 6-0 thrashing of dirty, 'orrible Leeds in the play-off final?

I haven't read the entire thread so forgive me if this has been said before, but I don't want us to scrape in to the play-offs and go up if it means a repeat of THAT season next year because we are clearly not ready for the Premier League. Despite the last few results I still believe that Steve Mac is the right man for the job and that he should be allowed to build for a stronger promotion push next season.

I'm tired of reading, or hearing, every game "This game is massive". For me, each season is massive and we are just not capable of rising to the occasion. We are NOT going to reach the playoffs so let's stop fooling with ourselves. There needs to be a MAJOR shakeup at the end of the season. We need players who know how to keep the ball, hit the ball, pass the ball, throw the ball, free click the ball, corner kick the ball, and head the ball.

12 minutes ago, CaliforniaRam said:

I'm tired of reading, or hearing, every game "This game is massive". For me, each season is massive and we are just not capable of rising to the occasion. We are NOT going to reach the playoffs so let's stop fooling with ourselves. There needs to be a MAJOR shakeup at the end of the season. We need players who know how to keep the ball, hit the ball, pass the ball, throw the ball, free click the ball, corner kick the ball, and head the ball.

You're getting confused with Subbuteo I think 

1 hour ago, CaliforniaRam said:

You remember where we were with Clough, right?

Play offs 2/3 of the last seasons shows we are more than capable of challenging for play offs. This squad went 10 unbeaten, no major shakeup required. 

30 minutes ago, mrdave85 said:

Play offs 2/3 of the last seasons shows we are more than capable of challenging for play offs. This squad went 10 unbeaten, no major shakeup required. 

Agreed.

With exception of Weimann/Hanson out and Nugent/De Sart in - this same manager and group of players went on a 10 game unbeaten run, playing the same football, the same formation etc. If (and appreciate its a big 'if' based on recent form) we can put a similar run of form together then anything is possible. It will be interesting to see how those above cope with the pressure as the season reaches the latter stages.

How about we do our bit tomorrow night by raising the roof of Pride Park (cos last week was pretty flat other than when we got back 3-3) and helping the lads deliver a much needed 3pts?!! 

COYR

35 minutes ago, mrdave85 said:

Agreed.

With exception of Weimann/Hanson out and Nugent/De Sart in - this same manager and group of players went on a 10 game unbeaten run, playing the same football, the same formation etc. If (and appreciate its a big 'if' based on recent form) we can put a similar run of form together then anything is possible. It will be interesting to see how those above cope with the pressure as the season reaches the latter stages.

How about we do our bit tomorrow night by raising the roof of Pride Park (cos last week was pretty flat other than when we got back 3-3) and helping the lads deliver a much needed 3pts?!! 

COYR

35 minutes ago, mrdave85 said:

Agreed.

COYR

I've tried to avoid this thread for as long as I could to try stay away from the wrist slashing, over the top comments, but now I'm going to ask the question that has been asked many times on this forum, yet never given a satisfactory answer to. Why is the premier league so important? I'd rather see Derby play nice football in the championship, than watch us get thrashed every game in the premier league. So how exactly is the 'season over' when we've got many games left to play? As fans, we should just sit back and enjoy the games, why worry about it? If we're good enough to make the playoffs, we will.

6 hours ago, McLovin said:

Pearson may be to blame for preventing us from reaching he top 2 but not in terms of the play offs. We were very close the Sheffield Wednesday a few weeks ago and were even in the play offs at one point. Can't blame Pearson for our results and performances since then. Simple fact is that we are not good enough.

We may not be good enough but the ditching of Chris Martin has certainly had a long lasting result. how many teams can afford to lose an effective goal scorer?

6 hours ago, McLovin said:

Pearson may be to blame for preventing us from reaching he top 2 but not in terms of the play offs. We were very close the Sheffield Wednesday a few weeks ago and were even in the play offs at one point. Can't blame Pearson for our results and performances since then. Simple fact is that we are not good enough.

If that's true there's there's little point in moaning about it really. Nothing will change anytime soon if we're really as bad as you'd have it.

15 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I've tried to avoid this thread for as long as I could to try stay away from the wrist slashing, over the top comments, but now I'm going to ask the question that has been asked many times on this forum, yet never given a satisfactory answer to. Why is the premier league so important? I'd rather see Derby play nice football in the championship, than watch us get thrashed every game in the premier league. So how exactly is the 'season over' when we've got many games left to play? As fans, we should just sit back and enjoy the games, why worry about it? If we're good enough to make the playoffs, we will.

Agree with your last sentence Andicis........but I don't agree that being in the Premier League = being thrashed every week. 

Posted this in another thread.....

"What if we were in the PL and somewhere between 7th and 11th for a sustained period - winning more than we lose, playing decent football, bringing Academy players throught, fiscally sound and the odd flirtation with cup romance, but not necessarily winning trophies. So doing as we do now but in the PL?  

E.g. Southampton" 

25 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The premier league is so important because it will allow us to see better quality footballers at pride park. Sat in the championship well eventually lose players like Ince and Hughes but in the prem we may well keep special players like those, as well as add more if we recruit properly so we get even more entertainment as fans. That's not to mention the financial benefits, it's very difficult to run a club sustainably in the championship thus the extra money from the premiership would allow us to grow the club significantly, leaving us better now and into the future. The ultimate aim of football must be to gain successful results, and thus our aim right now must always be promotion, so it's disheartening to see us fall short again.

That being said however, I agree wholeheartedly that the season isn't 'over' while there's still games to play. Like you say, there's still a chance of promotion, and we must continue to aim to get into the top six no matter what until it's mathematically impossible- if we win enough games to get into the top six, we deserve to be there, if not we don't. I watch Derby county to see us have success overall, be that promotion, cup wins etc- but I go to individuals matches focused only on the hope to celebrate victory in that match. This doesn't changed whether we've won the league already or are mid table, I still on that day want 3 points, and I hope our team continue to win games this season, even if it doesn't result in promotion

1 hour ago, Dava75 said:

Agree with your last sentence Andicis........but I don't agree that being in the Premier League = being thrashed every week. 

Posted this in another thread.....

"What if we were in the PL and somewhere between 7th and 11th for a sustained period - winning more than we lose, playing decent football, bringing Academy players throught, fiscally sound and the odd flirtation with cup romance, but not necessarily winning trophies. So doing as we do now but in the PL?  

E.g. Southampton" 

Agree, that it would be brilliant, but then for every Southampton, there is a QPR. I'm of the opinion that realistically I couldn't see that happening, obviously in some cases it has done, and don't get me wrong I'd love it if it was to happen. However, given the other scenario of for example 'doing a Wigan' or 'doing a Sunderland' where each season we would just survive on the last day kind of thing, or be relegated, would you prefer that, or to be how we are in the Championship? For me, I'd prefer the Championship for entertainment over just surviving, but say we were to reach between 7th and 11th I'd be delighted with that!

52 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

The premier league is so important because it will allow us to see better quality footballers at pride park. Sat in the championship well eventually lose players like Ince and Hughes but in the prem we may well keep special players like those, as well as add more if we recruit properly so we get even more entertainment as fans. That's not to mention the financial benefits, it's very difficult to run a club sustainably in the championship thus the extra money from the premiership would allow us to grow the club significantly, leaving us better now and into the future. The ultimate aim of football must be to gain successful results, and thus our aim right now must always be promotion, so it's disheartening to see us fall short again.

That being said however, I agree wholeheartedly that the season isn't 'over' while there's still games to play. Like you say, there's still a chance of promotion, and we must continue to aim to get into the top six no matter what until it's mathematically impossible- if we win enough games to get into the top six, we deserve to be there, if not we don't. I watch Derby county to see us have success overall, be that promotion, cup wins etc- but I go to individuals matches focused only on the hope to celebrate victory in that match. This doesn't changed whether we've won the league already or are mid table, I still on that day want 3 points, and I hope our team continue to win games this season, even if it doesn't result in promotion

Agree, it would definitely give us the potential to have and keep better quality footballers, but I personally debate whether it would be more entertaining. I think the fast, frenetic football of the championship is actually more entertaining than the more slow, thoughtful style of the premier league (personal opinion). Agree a lot about the financial situation though, financially it'd be great to be in the premier league to benefit from the extra money for the club, that being said, I wouldn't envy the higher ticket prices! All in all, I see a lot of drawbacks to both leagues, I'm the same on match day, I just want to win the next match and see where it takes us, rather than worrying about it.

Archived