Season over

Sexydadbod

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, DRBee said:

Jesus wept  .. are you saying we didn't under-perform in Clough's last season? You have a very short memory ( or perhaps selective memory) if you can't remember how bad the football was then

sadly i remember only too clearly theo robinson steve davies and ben davies, all 3 found their level in leagues 1 and 2 shortly after.

11 pts adrift of Wendies in 6th and only 15 games left.

Season is over.

I hear we should stick to it and like Brighton come good next season - but in reality we are nowhere near where Brighton were last season, let alone be good enough to battle top 2 next season - its whether this squad is really good enough for next season?

4 minutes ago, toddy said:

11 pts adrift of Wendies in 6th and only 15 games left.

Season is over.

I hear we should stick to it and like Brighton come good next season - but in reality we are nowhere near where Brighton were last season, let alone be good enough to battle top 2 next season - its whether this squad is really good enough for next season?

So because 11pts is obviously mathematically impossible we should give up? I wouldn't accept that, while there's a chance of us creeping in to the play offs we should fight for every point available. What have we got to lose by doing so?

Brighton finished 3rd on 89pts last season, we were 5th on 78pts. The season before that they finished 20th on 47pts, we were 8th on 77pts. You wouldn't have said they were top 2 or even play off quality then. 

11 minutes ago, mrdave85 said:

So because 11pts is obviously mathematically impossible we should give up? I wouldn't accept that, while there's a chance of us creeping in to the play offs we should fight for every point available. What have we got to lose by doing so?

Brighton finished 3rd on 89pts last season, we were 5th on 78pts. The season before that they finished 20th on 47pts, we were 8th on 77pts. You wouldn't have said they were top 2 or even play off quality then. 

What you are asking is for Wendies to go on a 4 match losing streak out of there remaining 14 games?

And also asking for Norwich, Fulham, Preston and Barnsley to go on a losing streak too....

The two games we should have banked were Bristol and Cardiff, reality is something different.

As for Brighton last term they finished 11 pts a head of us -they do have a very good squad that can dig deep and grind out results and have a coach that knows this league and what is required to get out of it, they have also spent wisely improving their squad.

We on the other hand are currently 11th and 21 pts behind Brighton and have not spent wisely, have not improved on last season and don't have a coach with the experience of theirs within this league. [I do like Mac and glad he is here]

But our squad is not good enough for promotion - the table does not lie!

2 minutes ago, toddy said:

What you are asking is for Wendies to go on a 4 match losing streak out of there remaining 14 games?

And also asking for Norwich, Fulham, Preston and Barnsley to go on a losing streak too....

The two games we should have banked were Bristol and Cardiff, reality is something different.

As for Brighton last term they finished 11 pts a head of us -they do have a very good squad that can dig deep and grind out results and have a coach that knows this league and what is required to get out of it, they have also spent wisely improving their squad.

We on the other hand are currently 11th and 21 pts behind Brighton and have not spent wisely, have not improved on last season and don't have a coach with the experience of theirs within this league. [I do like Mac and glad he is here]

But our squad is not good enough for promotion - the table does not lie!

Ignored my point about Brighton did you? No problem, let me point it out again for you...

Brighton finished 30 points behind us two seasons ago. Where they and we are now does not mean anything. Take away the colossal s******* that was Pearson's reign and I think we'd be right up there. 

They (Weds) don't need to go on a 4 match losing streak, but they could lose 4 games. They've yet to play Norwich, Villa, Newcastle, Reading, and us. Anyone can beat anyone in this league. Why give up when it's still possible? 

Last time I looked we could finish on anything between 47 & 92 points. As to how many we will finish up with with is pure guesswork. Whether we are good enough for promotion or not remains to be seen at the end of the season not now. The sixth place has been achieved with a maximum of 78 points and a minimum of 68 points over the last 5 seasons.

1 hour ago, mrdave85 said:

Ignored my point about Brighton did you? No problem, let me point it out again for you...

Brighton finished 30 points behind us two seasons ago. Where they and we are now does not mean anything. Take away the colossal s******* that was Pearson's reign and I think we'd be right up there. 

They (Weds) don't need to go on a 4 match losing streak, but they could lose 4 games. They've yet to play Norwich, Villa, Newcastle, Reading, and us. Anyone can beat anyone in this league. Why give up when it's still possible? 

Didn't ignore it  - Chris Houghton took over midway through that season and secured their status.

Last year bought well and built a very good squad and finished 3rd and this season took them to a higher level where they are currently 21 pts above us. It does mean something as we are below where we were last season?

Pearson 10 games total is only 3pts less then Mac's last 10 games - so no it not all Pearson's fault .....

It was still possible that we could win the league when we got rid of Pearson in October, but the reality was and still is we are not good enough. Bloody hell do you remember 2008, we are currently struggling against the Bristol city's of this world let alone premiership sides.

Anything is possible  - reality is something quite different.

For promotion you need consistency and that is something we don't have.......... 

Pearson may be to blame for preventing us from reaching he top 2 but not in terms of the play offs. We were very close the Sheffield Wednesday a few weeks ago and were even in the play offs at one point. Can't blame Pearson for our results and performances since then. Simple fact is that we are not good enough.

2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Pearson may be to blame for preventing us from reaching he top 2 but not in terms of the play offs. We were very close the Sheffield Wednesday a few weeks ago and were even in the play offs at one point. Can't blame Pearson for our results and performances since then. Simple fact is that we are not good enough.

totally agree, and I will add  - some of the performances earlier this season under Pearson are no different to recent ones under Mac [Leeds /Norwich/Bristol/Cardiff] -two different coach's, but same set of players.

2 hours ago, mrdave85 said:

Brighton have been in the playoffs 3 of the last 4 seasons.

That one season they finished low down, was a change of a manager, and Sammi Hypia clearly not working.

Hughton came in mid season and saved them, very much like Macca did for us after Pearson.

That 30 points behind us 2 seasons ago argument is subjective.

I have no intention of looking it up, but 3 seasons ago, it wouldnt surprise me if we were 30 points behind Brighton.

So I have no idea what the bit in bold is trying to proove.

4 minutes ago, toddy said:

totally agree, and I will add  - some of the performances earlier this season under Pearson are no different to recent ones under Mac [Leeds /Norwich/Bristol/Cardiff] -two different coach's, but same set of players.

Pearson's time in charge was awful. Take any 9 game stretch this season under McClaren vs Pearson's and the record is always better. He won 1 game in 9. To even get to the playoffs after that start is nothing short of incredible. We went 10 games unbeaten, winning 8 of them.

You've mentioned 4 games, the same set of players under a different coach have dramatically turned this season around. I can't see how anyone can blame McClaren after the start we had if we don't make the play offs. 

Has another team turned their season round like we have? 

1 minute ago, jagerbob said:

Brighton have been in the playoffs 3 of the last 4 seasons.

That one season they finished low down, was a change of a manager, and Sammi Hypia clearly not working.

Hughton came in mid season and saved them, very much like Macca did for us after Pearson.

That 30 points behind us 2 seasons ago argument is subjective.

I have no intention of looking it up, but 3 seasons ago, it wouldnt surprise me if we were 30 points behind Brighton.

So I have no idea what the bit in bold is trying to proove.

Replace Hypia with Pearson, and look at our league position.

And people are calling the season over and want McClaren out. 

That's my point.

16 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Got to disagree
Its all down to Pearsons reign.

yes we made the play off positions briefly, by winning 8 in a row or something and going months without conceding a goal, but no team in the league was going to keep that record up. Now its levelled out a bit, we are where we are because of the first 2 months of the season. Everyone is talking of a squad overhaul, but let me remind you cardiff was the first team to win a league game at pride Park since mcclaren came back! - People tend to forget that, because they seem to only look at the league table.

1 minute ago, mrdave85 said:

Replace Hypia with Pearson, and look at our league position.

And people are calling the season over and want McClaren out. 

That's my point.

I didnt see the original poster.

Brighton finished 3rd the year before we did. Lost to Palace in the 2nd leg at home.

Archived