Yanic Wildschut - Signed for Norwich

DCFC4LIFE

5 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

You asked for players from abroad and I gave you answers, you can't complain about petty things anyway. Why does the fact Bruno was an ex-international count him out? Knockaert was well known, but even before that Leicester bought him as an unknown quantity abroad and Hemed cost £2m which is a bargain for a striker who scored 17 goals last season, Vibe cost £1m and scored more goals then all of our strikers last season. I'd rather us look for a cheap player abroad who might be great or fail then spend £3m on players like Blackman or £8m on Vydra. 

I didn't ask for players from abroad. I asked for "gems" from abroad. Apparently investing into a vast scouting network helps you get these amazing players for cheap. 

You didn't really provide a single standout player, in my opinion. Hemed doesn't start for Brighton anymore, they replaced him with an experienced English striker who they just paid £3m for. What a shocker, eh! 

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Nuwtfly said:

A well written argument, but I don't agree.

A defensive midfielder who is comfortable in possession? I'm not sure that is what we need from our DM. I think we need someone in there who can break up the play and give the ball to people who are useful in possession, like Hughes and Butterfield. Johnson was doing a good job of this. De Sart (granted I didn't see the WBA game) has looked pretty poor in possession when I've seen him. He just plays the ball backwards after holding on to it for a second or two. Lightweight as well. Not what you want as a DM. Hope he comes good, of course, but he just looks like Mascarell No.2 at the moment.

Our weakest area is LW. Russell hasn't done it for years and Camara looks like a rabbit in the headlights with the ball. 

Over the past couple of season we've had one of the most potent attacks in the championship, yet this season even in our really good run of form under McClaren we have been somewhat ineffectual going forward and have been heavily reliant on Ince producing the goods. So you have to ask the question, what is different? The two big glaring differences are we have Bent rather than Martin up front and we Johnson as DM. I'll try to go through and explain to you what the problem is with each case, starting with DM (just bear in mind I'm going to leave my thoughts on why De Sart and Nugent might fix these problems for another post and I'm focusing solely on outlining the current problems)

DM

19 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

A defensive midfielder who is comfortable in possession? I'm not sure that is what we need from our DM. I think we need someone in there who can break up the play and give the ball to people who are useful in possession, like Hughes and Butterfield. Johnson was doing a good job of this.

It's vital for the defensive midfielder to be comfortable in possession, along with him being positionally disciplined and have the anticipation to break the play up. They don't necessarily need to be a Thorne-esq playmaker but they need to be able to receive the ball from the back 4 and move it onto another Derby player without hesitation or error, they also need to be always available to receive the ball from a Derby player when an attack begins to break down and effortlessly move it the ball on to begin another attack. This is Johnson's critical failure in this position, he's just sloppy and hesitant when in position of the football and it stifles the flow of our game. Your DM should be approaching the highest passing success rate of your side because it's vital that they retain possession very well yet Johnson is frequently among the lowest passing success rates of the side (frequently around the 70% mark). Johnson's ability on the ball has the knock effect that the other two midfielders have to come deeper in order to establish a foothold in the midfield and help instigate Derby's play from deeper areas, meaning they can't float into more advanced positions to attack the opposition. This is one of the two major reasons why we are struggling to really get on top of teams and hence scoring less goals.

ST

34 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

And a striker who brings the midfield into play? Bent does this perfectly fine - when he gets given the ball!

Bent's ability to bring the midfield into play this season has been adequate at best (significantly better than Vydra mind). This isn't Bent's fault because for the majority of his career he has played as a pure goal poacher but he just lacks the clever linkup play that helps get your midfield breaking through the opposition defensive lines. Ask yourself this how many chances can you think of that have been produced through Bent's linkup play this season ? And don't you find it weird that nearly all the goals from Midfield have dried up, despite having players on the books such as Butterfield and Bryson who both have had good strike rates from midfield in the past. Go watch what Martin is doing at Fulham or even what Kermorgant is doing at Reading and you will see what a difference a striker who can play the role properly can make. 

This isn't supposed to be a slight on either Bent or Johnson both have done serviceable jobs for us in those positions at a time where we didn't have much other option.

2 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

I didn't ask for players from abroad. I asked for "gems" from abroad. Apparently investing into a vast scouting network helps you get these amazing players for cheap. 

You didn't really provide a single standout player, in my opinion. Hemed doesn't start for Brighton anymore, they replaced him with an experienced English striker who they just paid £3m for. What a shocker, eh! 

Knockaert and Mahrez for Leicester were gems from abroad. 

1 hour ago, Tombo said:

Invest it how? Where exactly does this money go?

It pays for competent scouts i.e: you could pay your son to do the scouting, or go out and hire one of the best scouts in the game and pay him a decent wage..you could also hire more than one competent scout for example.

I remember when we had Simon Hunt in, now there was a scout!

Missing out?.? On this lad for 7  mill is to my mind not missing out ,,, is he 7 mill better than Johnny ? I doubt it , we have Anja  coming back into the squad , we have vydra who can play left of the forward line ,,, hang on , we have an abundance of forwards who we paid good money for and came more highly rated or at worst equally rated with this lad,,, to panic buy this lad for an inflated 7 mill fee would have been a repeat of our mistakes ? Of the last few windows,,, long before we pay 7 mill for this type of player let's get on that training field and start getting the best out of the players of similar stature that we have been bringing in , never giving anywhere near enough game time to then consigning to the scrap heap and saying they are worth peanuts let's give them away for any amount we can scrape for them ,,,,,,, it is the fault of this whole transfer window system where we feel pressured to buy for buying sake as opposed to steadily building a team ,,, 

1 hour ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Who though? Watford got Premier League players for free because of their owners, which is unfair. 

I'm looking at the Brighton squad list and I'm struggling to see who you mean? 

Leeds? 

Brentford yes, absolutely, but they've also purchased a load of flops, and sit 15th. Brentford have made their £ off English talent, Gray, Hogan, Odubajo ect

I genuinely thought Odubajo was foreign, turns out he is more English than me ?

The lad Leeds had playing against us, I think they signed him from Valencia, he tore us a new one all night, he wasn't a bad signing.

Brighton - signed Ulloa, who now is the subject of a 7.5 million pound bid from Sunderland, which has been rejected.

The point I was trying to make is, if you fish in a bigger pond, there is less competition, resulting in more fish to catch....I think Eric Cantona said that, or was it Connor Sammon?

12 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

The lad Leeds had playing against us, I think they signed him from Valencia, he tore us a new one all night, he wasn't a bad signing.

Pablo Hernandez? Played for Monk at Swansea I believe.

13 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I genuinely thought Odubajo was foreign, turns out he is more English than me ?

Brighton - signed Ulloa, who now is the subject of a 7.5 million pound bid from Sunderland, which has been rejected.

The point I was trying to make is, if you fish in a bigger pond, there is less competition, resulting in more fish to catch....I think Eric Cantona said that, or was it Connor Sammon?

Mate I agree with you 100%, but it's so difficult to do. Teams lose far more often than they lose, which is why proven quality cost so much. 

13 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Any club who waits till the last day or two to sign player deserve to get screwed with inflated fees.

We've had all month to stick in a respectable bid for him and wait till the 30th, madness planning 

You assume that a) we want to buy him and b) we have put in a bid.

Just because someone in the paper says something, you don't have to always suck it down like a trout with a dog nobbler. I tend to dismiss such stories as tripe, and by applying that logic, I have something like a 98% success rate.

Archived