Yanic Wildschut - Signed for Norwich

DCFC4LIFE

45 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Name me a club in this division who has successful signed internationally? I'd say only Huddersfield, and that's because of their manager who had the knowledge of the German leagues. 

I think people ask for too much.

Last bit of your post is spot on. 

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ramit said:

Some are more likely to succeed than others

Really? There are thousands of players all over the world that have signed with a brilliant pedigree at former clubs and been useless for their new clubs. It happens, it's football.

he would be no different from any other players that move clubs.

we have signed plenty of players who fans have been creaming themselves over and they did nothing for us and then "average" players who have gone on to be must picks.

bryson for example was a punt and it worked, albentosa was an established player and he failed.

torres and shevchenko at Chelsea? Both legends at their former clubs, world class players, flops at Chelsea.

its football.

16 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Who? Brentford are currently 15th, and at Brighton all I can think of is Hemed, who was playing in the top division in Spain? Hardly a tough find, I think he cost £3m! 

Vibe and Jota both from abroad and done very well for Brentford, Brighton have bought Hemed, Skalak, Knockeart, Bruno and Kayal abroad also Reading have made a lot signings from abroad who have done well this season. 

13 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Obviously he does...doesn't mean we can't debate whether or not Nugent is a good signing or not. 

Nugent was a runner, just like Bent was. Both have lost their pace. Boro fans were coming on here telling us that. 

Any even if Nugent was brought in to offer runs in behind the defence, isn't that pretty much what Vydra offers?

It's an odd signing. Especially when the areas we needed to improve were fairly obvious, and most fans agreed on them. 

Nugent is a good player and a very good signing. In terms of where we needed to strengthen then central midfield was the place for me and mac it seems with the attempt to get Lansbury, we have been weak through the middle in different ways 

4 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

A Basel squad player? 

So that's the extent of your knowledge of the player eh?  We shall see which one of us has it right on this matter.

BTW, you asked for an example and i gave you one, a damn good one too IMO.

3 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Nugent is a good player and a very good signing. In terms of where we needed to strengthen then central midfield was the place for me and mac it seems with the attempt to get Lansbury, we have been weak through the middle in different ways 

2 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

People need to realise that Bent and Nugent are different types of striker. 

I'm not saying he's not a good player, he is, and has been for a very long time at Championship level.

But what exactly is it that he offers that Bent and Vydra don't? 

Hold up play? Bent's done a pretty decent job of this to be fair to him.

Work rate? Vydra was running his socks off up until the last two games.

3 minutes ago, ramit said:

So that's the extent of your knowledge of the player eh?  We shall see which one of us has it right on this matter.

Just because he has done well internationally doesn't always mean he will do well domestically, look at players like David Healey and Kyle Lafferty.

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

I'm not saying he's not a good player, he is, and has been for a very long time at Championship level.

But what exactly is it that he offers that Bent and Vydra don't? 

Hold up play? Bent's done a pretty decent job of this to be fair to him.

Work rate? Vydra was running his socks off up until the last two games.

He plays for his teammates not just himself, he is a very good signing if fit ! 

18 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Vibe and Jota both from abroad and done very well for Brentford, Brighton have bought Hemed, Skalak, Knockeart, Bruno and Kayal abroad also Reading have made a lot signings from abroad who have done well this season. 

Knockaert isn't an unknown quantity for a championship club. Bruno was an ex Spanish international released by a CL club. Hemed cost over £3m for a La Liga side, again, hardly tough to scout. Kayal, Celtic, come on... Skalak I'd agree with, but he doesn't start for them so hardly integral to their promotion campaign. 

Vibe has 15 in 58 games. If a striker like that played for Derby, he'd be slated. Jota was a good find but he was from the same side Albentosa was signed from, so can't say we weren't looking in that area. 

Reading, again have Stam's knowledge of the Dutch leagues. But out of their side that started against us, I can't see a single player signed from abroad. 

14 minutes ago, ramit said:

I know nothing of the player minus a good euros, but looking at his stats he wasn't a regular for Basel, which may suggest something. 

You clearly know more about him than me, we shall see! 

20 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Obviously he does...doesn't mean we can't debate whether or not Nugent is a good signing or not. 

Nugent was a runner, just like Bent was. Both have lost their pace. Boro fans were coming on here telling us that. 

Any even if Nugent was brought in to offer runs in behind the defence, isn't that pretty much what Vydra offers?

It's an odd signing. Especially when the areas we needed to improve were fairly obvious, and most fans agreed on them. 

There's no way Nugent and de Sart would have been brought into the club without the 100% backing of McClaren so I'll definitely back his judgement on these 2 signings. 

My guess is that de Sart is here as cover / competition for Johnson which could be an indication that we won't see anything of George Thorne until next season. Similarly Nugent gives a different option to Bent because, given Fulhams' rigid stance on Chris Martin, Mac knows that CM probably won't be back until after this season is over.

However, with regard to a number of the signings brought into the club in the last 18 months, I share the view amongst many fans that recruitment and value for money has, at best been poor and àt worst downright incompetent.

2 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Knockaert isn't an unknown quantity for a championship club. Bruno was an ex Spanish international released by a CL club. Hemed cost over £3m for a La Liga side, again, hardly tough to scout. Kayal, Celtic, come on... Skalak I'd agree with, but he doesn't start for them so hardly integral to their promotion campaign. 

Vibe has 15 in 58 games. If a striker like that played for Derby, he'd be slated. Jota was a good find but he was from the same side Albentosa was signed from, so can't say we weren't looking in that area. 

Reading, again have Stam's knowledge of the Dutch leagues. But out of their side that started against us, I can't see a single player signed from abroad. 

You asked for players from abroad and I gave you answers, you can't complain about petty things anyway. Why does the fact Bruno was an ex-international count him out? Knockaert was well known, but even before that Leicester bought him as an unknown quantity abroad and Hemed cost £2m which is a bargain for a striker who scored 17 goals last season, Vibe cost £1m and scored more goals then all of our strikers last season. I'd rather us look for a cheap player abroad who might be great or fail then spend £3m on players like Blackman or £8m on Vydra. 

11 minutes ago, ramit said:

David Healey and Kyle Lafferty don't have career stats like this

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/birkir-bjarnason-player-stats

This is what a Basel fan said about him. 

'Utter rubbish since the Euro. Wish we would have sold him in August. Yes he's a regular, but shouldn't be, everybody seems to agree about it. He might just be tired, after all he hardly had a break since the last winter break. Missed a 100% chance on the weekend at 0-1, the counter after the chance led to the 0-2 (the opposition was down to 10 players too). There is no reason for him to play tomorrow, if he's starts ahead of Elyounoussi I won't understand the world.'

2 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

This is what a Basel fan said about him. 

'Utter rubbish since the Euro. Wish we would have sold him in August. Yes he's a regular, but shouldn't be, everybody seems to agree about it. He might just be tired, after all he hardly had a break since the last winter break. Missed a 100% chance on the weekend at 0-1, the counter after the chance led to the 0-2 (the opposition was down to 10 players too). There is no reason for him to play tomorrow, if he's starts ahead of Elyounoussi I won't understand the world.'

Every player goes through a down period and every club has it's share of idiots and since "everybody seems to agree about it" i venture to guess that they have more than their fair share.  Yes i am sulking, just let me please, i will get over it in a few years

Archived