Yanic Wildschut - Signed for Norwich

DCFC4LIFE

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

We could invest 2 million of the 5 million we were willing to spend on Yanic on a decent worldwide scouting network between now and the end of the season and then sign a couple of good players using the other 3 million we were willing to spend on Yanic.

The last two transfer windows have shown us, to get the quality we crave we need to spend big money! Unless we look abroad.

Invest it how? Where exactly does this money go?

4 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Nugent is nothing like Darren Bent. And he has featured for 20 minutes. Give the bloke a chance mate! 

I'm not writing him off, my post doesn't say that.

In terms of whether he is better than what we already have, or offers anything different to Bent & Vydra is up for debate though, no? 

10 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I think the recruitment team at the club are just here for the crack.

If you imagine the money spent on Camara, Blackman, Anya and Nugent as well as the combined wages were given to a competent person in the world of Worldwide transfers, it could be frightening.

Look on the bright side if players like Wildschut are fetching £7m we stand a better chance of getting our money back on the above [don't count on it though it's the Derby way]

8 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Name me a club in this division who has successful signed internationally? I'd say only Huddersfield, and that's because of their manager who had the knowledge of the German leagues. 

I think people ask for too much.

Brentford and Brighton have got quite a few decent players abroad. 

24 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Agree in principle but how many games have they played between them? Probably as many in all as a certain striker who cost nearly as much as them combined. I'll wait to see what Nugent can do for us before writing him off I reckon .

Brentford seem to have done alright signing abroad.

Watford signng players like Ighalo and Forestieri did alright. Although the Udinese thing may make this one nil and void.

Brighton too.

Leeds seem to be reaping the rewards now.

22 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I'm not writing him off, my post doesn't say that.

In terms of whether he is better than what we already have, or offers anything different to Bent & Vydra is up for debate though, no? 

Don't you think McClaren knows more than us fans on what he offers? Nugent is a runner, Bent is not. I'd say they are totally different forwards. 

@Nuwtfly, I disagree with your assertion that LW was the most important area to improve this window. In fact I'd argue that it would have probably been 3rd or 4th on the list and the hardest position to fill properly. The two vital signings this window were bringing a natural DM who is comfortable in possession and bringing in a striker who can get more involved with bringing the midfield into play (particularly after it became increasingly unlikely we'd get Martin back). As these two players were more needed to provide cover and competition we managed to get the deals done with relative ease and I think both will prove to be good acquisitions.

LW was a slightly different proposition because as we already had plenty of cover in this area, any player bought we would have to be sure would:

1. Be distinctly better than any other player in the squad in that position
  2. Be a natural in playing as a wide forward as part of a three
  3. Be a good fit for how we play football

Finding a player who meets these criteria and could almost certainly hit the ground running was always going to be a tricky prospect, particularly finding such a player at a price we find to be reasonable. It's a pity that we haven't been able to get a deal for someone in this area but it's just the way it goes at times and I rather us bide our time than panic buy somebody who isn't right.

3 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Don't you think McClaren knows more than us fans on what he offers? Nugent is a runner, Bent is not. I'd say they are totally different forwards. 

Not to mention that Nugent is far more likely to get involved with general build-up play than Bent is.

Just now, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Obviously he does...doesn't mean we can't debate whether or not Nugent is a good signing or not. 

Nugent was a runner, just like Bent was. Both have lost their pace. Boro fans were coming on here telling us that. 

Any even if Nugent was brought in to offer runs in behind the defence, isn't that pretty much what Vydra offers?

It's an odd signing. Especially when the areas we needed to improve were fairly obvious, and most fans agreed on them. 

29 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Name me a club in this division who has successful signed internationally? I'd say only Huddersfield, and that's because of their manager who had the knowledge of the German leagues. 

I think people ask for too much.

Aston Villa for one.  They snatched up the second most important player in the Icelandic national team for peanuts, 1.75mil, a player who will likely light this division on fire and someone i am still sulking over Derby not going for, Birkir Bjarnason.

10 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Watford signng players like Ighalo and Forestieri did alright. Although the Udinese thing may make this one nil and void.

Brighton too.

Yep, I liked that post of your about establishing an international scouting network. When clubs are prepared to pay £7 mill in the domestic market for a player like Yanic Whatshisface you know it's time to look elsewhere for value. 

Just now, ramit said:

Aston Villa for one.  They snatched up the second most important player in the Icelandic national team for peanuts, 1.75mil, a player who will likely light this division on fire and someone i am still sulking over Derby not going for, Birkir Bjarnason.

Or he might not make that grade and they will have a flop on their hands.

every transfer in world football is a risk

3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Obviously he does...doesn't mean we can't debate whether or not Nugent is a good signing or not. 

Nugent was a runner, just like Bent was. Both have lost their pace. Boro fans were coming on here telling us that. 

Any even if Nugent was brought in to offer runs in behind the defence, isn't that pretty much what Vydra offers?

It's an odd signing. Especially when the areas we needed to improve were fairly obvious, and most fans agreed on them. 

I'm not on about pace. It's about work rate, which Bent doesn't have. 

Nugent is a better player for holding up the ball than the other two. 

3 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

@Nuwtfly, I disagree with your assertion that LW was the most important area to improve this window. In fact I'd argue that it would have probably been 3rd or 4th on the list and the hardest position to fill properly. The two vital signings this window were bringing a natural DM who is comfortable in possession and bringing in a striker who can get more involved with bringing the midfield into play (particularly after it became increasingly unlikely we'd get Martin back). As these two players were more needed to provide cover and competition we managed to get the deals done with relative ease and I think both will prove to be good acquisitions.

LW was a slightly different proposition because as we already had plenty of cover in this area, any player bought we would have to be sure would:

1. Be distinctly better than any other player in the squad in that position
  2. Be a natural in playing as a wide forward as part of a three
  3. Be a good fit for how we play football

Finding a player who meets these criteria and could almost certainly hit the ground running was always going to be a tricky prospect, particularly finding such a player at a price we find to be reasonable. It's a pity that we haven't been able to get a deal for someone in this area but it's just the way it goes at times and I rather us bide our time than panic buy somebody who isn't right.

A well written argument, but I don't agree.

A defensive midfielder who is comfortable in possession? I'm not sure that is what we need from our DM. I think we need someone in there who can break up the play and give the ball to people who are useful in possession, like Hughes and Butterfield. Johnson was doing a good job of this. De Sart (granted I didn't see the WBA game) has looked pretty poor in possession when I've seen him. He just plays the ball backwards after holding on to it for a second or two. Lightweight as well. Not what you want as a DM. Hope he comes good, of course, but he just looks like Mascarell No.2 at the moment.

And a striker who brings the midfield into play? Bent does this perfectly fine - when he gets given the ball!

Our weakest area is LW. Russell hasn't done it for years and Camara looks like a rabbit in the headlights with the ball. 

15 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Brighton too.

Who though? Watford got Premier League players for free because of their owners, which is unfair. 

I'm looking at the Brighton squad list and I'm struggling to see who you mean? 

Leeds? 

Brentford yes, absolutely, but they've also purchased a load of flops, and sit 15th. Brentford have made their £ off English talent, Gray, Hogan, Odubajo ect

Archived