Where would we finish in the Premier League?

Kernow

If you've been a reader of this forum for a considerable length of time, you've probably seen all kinds of comments about our Premier League credentials. Comments such as we're nowhere near good enough, is there any point in winning promotion as we'd just come back down, I'd rather win the majority of games but stay in the Championship rather than lose most weeks in the PL... blah blah blah.

Luckily for you, o faithful readers, I am here with proof of where exactly we would finish if we were a PL side. I have collected a sample of data, which are the results from the PL teams we have played this season. There is a team from each 'third' of the PL. We have Liverpool in the top third, West Brom in the second third and Leicester from the bottom third. A win, a draw and a loss means the equivalent of 4 points from three games. You don't need to do any maths because fortunately my phone has a calculator and I can tell you that it equates to 1.33 recurring points per game - over a 38 game season that's 50 points.

So there we have it. We would finish with 50 points in the PL, meaning we would finish either 10th or 11th depending on our goal difference compared to Chelsea. The scientific process of this study makes the results undisputed and it is quite clear that we would not only survive in the PL, but thrive. What's all the moaning about?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Kernow said:

If you've been a reader of this forum for a considerable length of time, you've probably seen all kinds of comments about our Premier League credentials. Comments such as we're nowhere near good enough, is there any point in winning promotion as we'd just come back down, I'd rather win the majority of games but stay in the Championship rather than lose most weeks in the PL... blah blah blah.

Luckily for you, o faithful readers, I am here with proof of where exactly we would finish if we were a PL side. I have collected a sample of data, which are the results from the PL teams we have played this season. There is a team from each 'third' of the PL. We have Liverpool in the top third, West Brom in the second third and Leicester from the bottom third. A win, a draw and a loss means the equivalent of 4 points from three games. You don't need to do any maths because fortunately my phone has a calculator and I can tell you that it equates to 1.33 recurring points per game - over a 38 game season that's 50 points.

So there we have it. We would finish with 50 points in the PL, meaning we would finish either 10th or 11th depending on our goal difference compared to Chelsea. The scientific process of this study makes the results undisputed and it is quite clear that we would not only survive in the PL, but thrive. What's all the moaning about?

I've run the same calculation, only split into home and away matches.

From the data, we'll pick up 3 wins and draw at the very best from our home games all season, but win all 19 games away from home, leading to Europa League qualification.

My advice is knock the ST on the head if we go up, buy an away membership and benefit from the £30 price cap on away games.

2 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I've run the same calculation, only split into home and away matches.

From the data, we'll pick up 3 wins and draw at the very best from our home games all season, but win all 19 games away from home, leading to Europa League qualification.

My advice is knock the ST on the head if we go up, buy an away membership and benefit from the £30 price cap on away games.

That seems very scientific. Can't argue with that.

Bottom three.

As it stands, we are neither incisive nor adventurous enough to cause Premier League teams enough of a headache on a weekly basis. 

Granted, the team is still a work in progress and McClaren has a lot of work to do first of all to get us anywhere close to those levels.

But I wouldn't read anything at all into three one-off cup games where the intensity and the stakes are entirely different.

More often than not, the Premier League teams have another gear to find, so honestly I dread to think how we would do without serious surgery to the squad and the playing style.

Bottom 3 with the current team but we know Mel would spend and we wouldn't be complete paupers, so for me it around all be on whether new signings could thrive and evolve as a team around the likes of Hughes, Ince and a fit Thorne.

1 minute ago, SKRam said:

Think we have a better squad than some Prem teams but that doesn't mean we'd be better than them. Obviously attract other players in Prem but I still  like Camara!  Just saying!! 

Should have come on 10 minutes earlier. We had no outlet and Leicester comfortably came up the pitch without fear of counter. 

I greatly appreciate the satirical nature of this thread, and am forced to respect those that respond to it in a serious nature less.

I think if we went up we'd need to keeo the majority & keep the team spirit. We'd need a few that would improve us. Instead of spending £15m on three average players go and spend it on one player that can take us to the next level

its impossible to say where we would finish, a good season all play like we did tonight and luck on our side... potentially 15th

play like we did at leeds then 20th 

i thought bournmouth were nailed on to go down and survived, i think our style of play is more suited to the prem but on the other hand the silly mistakes we make that go unpunished would be punished at that level 

Archived