Ollie Watkins - Signed for Brentford

Arsene Titman

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 22:54, plymouthram said:

We really need this lad at Derby next season, with him playing at a higher standard and playing with better standard team mates. Please Mel, I hope you read these forums and take note

Why should he take your advice? 

4 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Because with our track record of signings since Mel came in it might not hurt to take advice from somewhere else, Plymouthram is as good as anyone.

Not that Mel is the person responsible for poor signings, he has just backed his managers and trusted whenever he has been asked to buy a player, you can't ask for any more from a chairman.

9 hours ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Not just plymouthram's advice really though is it?  There have been scouts watching him from all 4 divisions that have resulted in multiple bids turned down, despite the fact that the money on offer has been substantial for a league two side. I'm not saying that he will make it at a higher level (although that is what I believe, having seen the majority of his professional career so far) but clearly an array of people from within the sport believe that he will. If you boys don't take the punt, someone else will. Only time will tell if it works out either way. 

10 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Because with our track record of signings since Mel came in it might not hurt to take advice from somewhere else, Plymouthram is as good as anyone.

Not that Mel is the person responsible for poor signings, he has just backed his managers and trusted whenever he has been asked to buy a player, you can't ask for any more from a chairman.

Based on the signings we've made thus far, I'd argue that we would have been better putting the 1000+ professional footballers registered in England through a bingo machine and signed the first 20 that came out for a premium deal on a big wage packet.

Mel needs better guidance from those who are ulitmately spending his money. I know it's not always a straight forward process, but we seem lazy in our approach - to say the least.

You just need people who know what they're looking for to work hard enough. It's as easy as that. I'd argue that the money spent on Vydra probably could have covered the cost of an entire scouting network of 100+ scouts working day and night for a good few years.

4 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Based on the signings we've made thus far, I'd argue that we would have been better putting the 1000+ professional footballers registered in England through a bingo machine and signed the first 20 that came out for a premium deal on a big wage packet.

Mel needs better guidance from those who are ulitmately spending his money. I know it's not always a straight forward process, but we seem lazy in our approach - to say the least.

You just need people who know what they're looking for to work hard enough. It's as easy as that. I'd argue that the money spent on Vydra probably could have covered the cost of an entire scouting network of 100+ scouts working day and night for a good few years.

Brilliant post! Bang on the money.

Just been told today by one of my work mates. His step-son is in the Exeter City squad (do not want to give his name) But like Ollie Watkins he lives in the Torbay area and was taking Ollie home from Exeter (they share lifts) when Ollie's phone went. It was Steve Mac informing him that he had spoken to his club and put in a verbal bid in for £4M and that Tidsdale (Manager) had stated he wanted more. This is not a made up story because this work mate of mine is not one to spin a tale and was not aware of the interest by Derby until his step-son told him about the incident. As you can gather I live in Plymouth and work in the Newton Abbot area, so you can take this as a good scoop.

1 minute ago, plymouthram said:

Just been told today by one of my work mates. His step-son is in the Exeter City squad (do not want to give his name) But like Ollie Watkins he lives in the Torbay area and was taking Ollie home from Exeter (they share lifts) when Ollie's phone went. It was Steve Mac informing him that he had spoken to his club and put in a verbal bid in for £4M and that Tidsdale (Manager) had stated he wanted more. This is not a made up story because this work mate of mine is not one to spin a tale and was not aware of the interest by Derby until his step-son told him about the incident. As you can gather I live in Plymouth and work in the Newton Abbot area, so you can take this as a good scoop.

Kinell, he'll have to be a reincarnation of George Best at that price!

53 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Surely he's got an agent. Also worth 1.5-2.0 million at most.

1 hour ago, plymouthram said:

That's the funniest post I've ever read! Either you're on the wind up or your m8 is having you on. There's no way a manager would be on the phone to another club's player while he's under contract and there's no agreement in place. It would be both unprofessional and potentially in breach of league rules. I'm no fan of McLaren but he's always struck me as a decent chap. 

21 minutes ago, Mitsiboy said:

That's the funniest post I've ever read! Either you're on the wind up or your m8 is having you on. There's no way a manager would be on the phone to another club's player while he's under contract and there's no agreement in place. It would be both unprofessional and potentially in breach of league rules. I'm no fan of McLaren but he's always struck me as a decent chap. 

It might strike you as a wind up, but I have no reason to believe my work mate would make it up. If it does happen in the summer then remember this funny post. 

Archived