Ollie Watkins - Signed for Brentford

Arsene Titman

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Mitsiboy said:

That's the funniest post I've ever read! Either you're on the wind up or your m8 is having you on. There's no way a manager would be on the phone to another club's player while he's under contract and there's no agreement in place. It would be both unprofessional and potentially in breach of league rules. I'm no fan of McLaren but he's always struck me as a decent chap. 

It is so funny. 

6 hours ago, plymouthram said:

Just been told today by one of my work mates. His step-son is in the Exeter City squad (do not want to give his name) But like Ollie Watkins he lives in the Torbay area and was taking Ollie home from Exeter (they share lifts) when Ollie's phone went. It was Steve Mac informing him that he had spoken to his club and put in a verbal bid in for £4M and that Tidsdale (Manager) had stated he wanted more. This is not a made up story because this work mate of mine is not one to spin a tale and was not aware of the interest by Derby until his step-son told him about the incident. As you can gather I live in Plymouth and work in the Newton Abbot area, so you can take this as a good scoop.

Gave your post a 'like' simply because I believe you believe this to be true and as such I appreciate you sharing the news with the forum. That said, I'd be very doubtful McClaren would be in direct contact with the player under the current circumstances. Watkins is a player I've said several times already that I would love to see join us, but £4 million is a ridiculous fee (and apparently still not enough) so I'd now be looking elsewhere.

I'm all for lower league clubs being paid a fair fee for their promising young players, but this is just plain greed on their behalf. Highly promising as he is, there's nothing yet to suggest he is worth much more than half that figure which I think would be a fair deal for both the clubs involved and for the player. As such, I think the club should park this one and move on. 

An friend of a friend has a friend called Molly Watkins.

apparently schteve rang her up and told her the club were very keen on her.

she put the phone down when he mentioned something about playing in the hole.

21 hours ago, 86 points said:

Gave your post a 'like' simply because I believe you believe this to be true and as such I appreciate you sharing the news with the forum. That said, I'd be very doubtful McClaren would be in direct contact with the player under the current circumstances. Watkins is a player I've said several times already that I would love to see join us, but £4 million is a ridiculous fee (and apparently still not enough) so I'd now be looking elsewhere.

I'm all for lower league clubs being paid a fair fee for their promising young players, but this is just plain greed on their behalf. Highly promising as he is, there's nothing yet to suggest he is worth much more than half that figure which I think would be a fair deal for both the clubs involved and for the player. As such, I think the club should park this one and move on. 

4 million is a lot and I can understand why you think it might be too much. On the other hand, Lookman went for 7.5 million up front rising to 11 million. Being as objective as is possible as an Exeter fan, I'd like to see us get at least 2 million up front with a variety of add ons meaning we'll do well if Ollie does. In particular, I'd expect a decent wedge of any sell on profit, perhaps 20 -  25%. After all, were he to score a bucket load for you in the Championship, he'd immediately be in the 15 million+ bracket and having invested 12 years in his development, any club would deserve to be rewarded. Ultimately the fee will come down to how many clubs are seriously interested. If it's quite a few, maybe it will be as much as 4 or 5 million. Football is nuts these days, after all.......... 

5 minutes ago, Mitsiboy said:

4 million is a lot and I can understand why you think it might be too much. On the other hand, Lookman went for 7.5 million up front rising to 11 million. Being as objective as is possible as an Exeter fan, I'd like to see us get at least 2 million up front with a variety of add ons meaning we'll do well if Ollie does. In particular, I'd expect a decent wedge of any sell on profit, perhaps 20 -  25%. After all, were he to score a bucket load for you in the Championship, he'd immediately be in the 15 million+ bracket and having invested 12 years in his development, any club would deserve to be rewarded. Ultimately the fee will come down to how many clubs are seriously interested. If it's quite a few, maybe it will be as much as 4 or 5 million. Football is nuts these days, after all.......... 

As usual, a reasoned post. Two observations on the comparison; Lookman was plying his trade in league 1 and Everton are a Premiership side. This is not to say he is worth more or is a better player, just to say that the circumstances are slightly different and what is absolutely clear is that Everton could afford to be wrong.

As regards the rest of your post, I'd change my line of thought if the deal were structured with add-ons. Two million now and as much again based on the metrics you describe is absolutely fair and I fully accept that Exeter should expect a decent return on their investment, it's the level of return, especially the initial outlay, where I feel our thinking differs. To put this in perspective, the figure being asked is the figure we paid for Tom Ince. That's what gives me pause for thought. Ironically, your lad reminds me of our Tom, hence why I keep banging on about us buying him! My comment about moving on is not so much an assessment of what he's worth as a comment that it's not worth us getting into a bidding war when Ollie is not the only bright talent out there. We've splashed nigh on £30 mill in recent times and need to be mindful that we don't end up back where we were when Clough took over. In other words, I'm being tight with someone else's money :)

Out of curiosity, who else have you seen in your league who looks exciting - not just Exeter lads if you don't mind me asking?

54 minutes ago, 86 points said:

As usual, a reasoned post. Two observations on the comparison; Lookman was plying his trade in league 1 and Everton are a Premiership side. This is not to say he is worth more or is a better player, just to say that the circumstances are slightly different and what is absolutely clear is that Everton could afford to be wrong.

As regards the rest of your post, I'd change my line of thought if the deal were structured with add-ons. Two million now and as much again based on the metrics you describe is absolutely fair and I fully accept that Exeter should expect a decent return on their investment, it's the level of return, especially the initial outlay, where I feel our thinking differs. To put this in perspective, the figure being asked is the figure we paid for Tom Ince. That's what gives me pause for thought. Ironically, your lad reminds me of our Tom, hence why I keep banging on about us buying him! My comment about moving on is not so much an assessment of what he's worth as a comment that it's not worth us getting into a bidding war when Ollie is not the only bright talent out there. We've splashed nigh on £30 mill in recent times and need to be mindful that we don't end up back where we were when Clough took over. In other words, I'm being tight with someone else's money :)

Out of curiosity, who else have you seen in your league who looks exciting - not just Exeter lads if you don't mind me asking?

You're right about Lookman playing in league one (and indeed the Championship), however his goals to games ratio wasn't great. Plus he went for double even the higher suggestions for Ollie's fee. And every team in the Prem can afford to be wrong at the kind of prices we're talking, which is why teams like yourselves need to get in early before the talent gets hoovered up. At the end of the day, anyone in the top flight can outbid anyone in the championship, with very few exceptions. 

Anyway, further to your question about other league two players that have caught the eye this season, one springs instantly to mind. How much of that is due to the fact we played them very recently I'm not sure! Brad Potts at Blackpool was impressive. He's a big physical specimen who you just know is going to be a handful before the game even starts. He's well over 6' and looks like he enjoys the gym. He was strong, direct and pacey and showed great technique when presented with a sharp volley chance in the box. He came forward from deep positions and drifted wide at times but always showed energy and ability. He gave our CB, Jordan Moore Taylor a real test, particularly in the first half. And JMT had Omar Bogle in his pocket all game earlier in the season when we played Grimsby, which is no mean feat. Bogle is now at Wigan of course and if he hadn't already gone, I'd have suggested him too. His early form for Wigan has been impressive so a million already looks on the cheap side. I could mention JMT himself for anyone in the market for a central half but I think his physical limitations may put off potential suitors. He's pretty small for a CB, around 5' 10'' and he's not the quickest either but the rest of his game makes up for it in my view. Maybe more for a team near the top end of league one looking to get to the championship rather than a side in your position. There's probably loads more but it's late so that's the best I can do for now! :)

On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 21:08, plymouthram said:

A workmate of mine, who is a regular at Exeter city matches(being an avid fan of the Grecians) told me last week that word is its a done deal and Ollie Watkins is joining the Rams in the summer for £2.25M. He states that a couple of home games ago the fans were talking about it on the terraces. So if its true it could be a good deal for both clubs.

On Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 19:24, plymouthram said:

Just been told today by one of my work mates. His step-son is in the Exeter City squad (do not want to give his name) But like Ollie Watkins he lives in the Torbay area and was taking Ollie home from Exeter (they share lifts) when Ollie's phone went. It was Steve Mac informing him that he had spoken to his club and put in a verbal bid in for £4M and that Tidsdale (Manager) had stated he wanted more. This is not a made up story because this work mate of mine is not one to spin a tale and was not aware of the interest by Derby until his step-son told him about the incident. As you can gather I live in Plymouth and work in the Newton Abbot area, so you can take this as a good scoop.

Different transfer prices within 15 days space. Okay!!!! @Mitsiboy look at these Post lol. 

These workmates are two different people, the first information was from a guy who is a fan who picked up the info from listening to others on the terraces. The second guy is the step-dad of a young lad who is in the first team squad. Does not play often in the first team but gets to be on the bench occasionally. Both young players live in the Torbay area and share lifts to Exeter and back. I know it all sounds unbelievable due to the £4M price and the contact by Stevie Mac. But if you go back to the January window time, there was a lot of newspapers stating at the time that a couple of Premiership teams (I think one was Boro) and 4 championship sides were after him (Villa, Norwich, Brentford and Rams) They all stated that Derby were favourites to sign Ollie Watkins. Just before the window shut, Paul Tisdale stated in the local papers in Devon that he wasn't going to let any of his players leave until the summer (probably due to Exeter's surge up the table and the chance of promotion). 

Now for the papers to have made Rams favourites for his signature, there must have been a tip off that there had been a meeting/contact by someone between both clubs. Is it possible that was a verbal agreement that Derby would have the player in the summer. Could Exeter City have given permission to Derby that they could have contact with the player. Is it possible that negotiations between the clubs have continued since the window shut. I personally did not know much about this player until the first workmate mentioned to me(knowing I come from Derby and being a Rams fan). I have since looked at a video called the best of Ollie Watkins, he can shoot with both feet, head the ball and as got pace with lots of skill. I know it is League 2 football, but he looks good and very promising at 21. With better coaching staff and playing alongside better players he could make the jump.

28 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

These workmates are two different people, the first information was from a guy who is a fan who picked up the info from listening to others on the terraces. The second guy is the step-dad of a young lad who is in the first team squad. Does not play often in the first team but gets to be on the bench occasionally. Both young players live in the Torbay area and share lifts to Exeter and back. I know it all sounds unbelievable due to the £4M price and the contact by Stevie Mac. But if you go back to the January window time, there was a lot of newspapers stating at the time that a couple of Premiership teams (I think one was Boro) and 4 championship sides were after him (Villa, Norwich, Brentford and Rams) They all stated that Derby were favourites to sign Ollie Watkins. Just before the window shut, Paul Tisdale stated in the local papers in Devon that he wasn't going to let any of his players leave until the summer (probably due to Exeter's surge up the table and the chance of promotion). 

Now for the papers to have made Rams favourites for his signature, there must have been a tip off that there had been a meeting/contact by someone between both clubs. Is it possible that was a verbal agreement that Derby would have the player in the summer. Could Exeter City have given permission to Derby that they could have contact with the player. Is it possible that negotiations between the clubs have continued since the window shut. I personally did not know much about this player until the first workmate mentioned to me(knowing I come from Derby and being a Rams fan). I have since looked at a video called the best of Ollie Watkins, he can shoot with both feet, head the ball and as got pace with lots of skill. I know it is League 2 football, but he looks good and very promising at 21. With better coaching staff and playing alongside better players he could make the jump.

To be honest, the bit that really made it stand out as extremely unlikely was that your mate said Stevie Mac was on the phone to the player. It didn't happen, sorry. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he ended up with you guys or if a deal has already been done, or even if it was for 4 million.

On 28/02/2017 at 13:49, hintonsboots said:

Do we know the exact make up of the scouting network? Is Steves son chief scout? , and how many people does Mel employ in relation to player recruitment. I,ve heard Stevie Wonder maybe involved ?

On 28/02/2017 at 15:54, Rab a dab doo said:

What makes you 'Wonder' that ?

He's just very superstitious...

Ok I have done a quick search on this topic for 'Martin' and turned up no results , so I can ask my question

Is this guy a direct competitor for the chris Martin role or does he play out wide, my worry is , if he is currently playing up front for Exeter and Mac's insistence  on playing 433 will force him out wide he may become ineffective (possibly) or he is sitting on the bench as impact player and becomes bored

I can't see Steve (Why have a mind you only have to change it :ph34r:) McLaren   leaving the prodigal son on the bench on his return  

Even less can I see an upfront revolution of Martin and Watkins in a 41311 scenario 

1 hour ago, JG400 said:

Ok I have done a quick search on this topic for 'Martin' and turned up no results , so I can ask my question

Is this guy a direct competitor for the chris Martin role or does he play out wide, my worry is , if he is currently playing up front for Exeter and Mac's insistence  on playing 433 will force him out wide he may become ineffective (possibly) or he is sitting on the bench as impact player and becomes bored

I can't see Steve (Why have a mind you only have to change it :ph34r:) McLaren   leaving the prodigal son on the bench on his return  

Even less can I see an upfront revolution of Martin and Watkins in a 41311 scenario 

He can play in a variety of positions. The number 10 role might be his best but he is most regularly used slightly wide in a front 3 for Exeter, Reuben Reid being the central striker. That's where he's got most of his goals from this season. He can also operate in a traditional centre midfield role, which he switched to for much of the second half last weekend. He's wasted there in my opinion though as you really want him running at the back 4.

19 hours ago, plymouthram said:

Anything is possible,  let's see shall we. I'm not going through knock you as we can all be given both good and duff info. Let's see which one you have received 

Archived