Ollie Watkins - Signed for Brentford

Arsene Titman

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I was unsure of whether Bogle could make the step up and be consistent but with Watkins and Wheeler I have no doubts. Just personal opinion though. I'm obviously no scout or expert.

Ampadu is highly rated and has played a few games for the first team. He's still doing his GCSE's though.

11 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I was unsure of whether Bogle could make the step up and be consistent but with Watkins and Wheeler I have no doubts. Just personal opinion though. I'm obviously no scout or expert.

You've seen them 'in the flesh' - I suspect that's a step up from most of our scouts.....

Just now, hintonsboots said:

Ampadu is highly rated and has played a few games for the first team. He's still doing his GCSE's though.

You go to Exeter games then HB? I'm starting to go to away games this season. They've got Hartlepool, Mansfield, Donny which I can get to and also Cambridge away over Easter which I might get to. Home games I will wait until next season and go maybe a handful along with some Derby games too.

2 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

You go to Exeter games then HB? I'm starting to go to away games this season. They've got Hartlepool, Mansfield, Donny which I can get to and also Cambridge away over Easter which I might get to. Home games I will wait until next season and go maybe a handful along with some Derby games too.

Yes I've had a season ticket at City for 5 years now, have seen Watkins, Wheeler and Ampadu play a lot. Not the same as watching your own team, but can't get up to Derby much due to work. Tend to miss a bit of the game as following the Derby score on this Forum . Wheeler was signed from Staines Town and Watkins came through the academy. I often wonder how much scouting is done at lower league level?

6 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Yes I've had a season ticket at City for 5 years now, have seen Watkins, Wheeler and Ampadu play a lot. Not the same as watching your own team, but can't get up to Derby much due to work. Tend to miss a bit of the game as following the Derby score on this Forum . Wheeler was signed from Staines Town and Watkins came through the academy. I often wonder how much scouting is done at lower league level?

Tisdale is quite into his analytics, as is the modern way. At one point I think he got rid of the scouting system because they'd go round the country identifying players, but then none would want to move to the southwest. Nowadays they specifically target people with SW connections.

Just now, hintonsboots said:

I've managed to persuade a Wendies mate to drive down with me for the Yeovil home game at the end of march. Which stand would you say was best or not as busy, the stagecoach or main stand? Might still go in the big bank but not sure yet if we want to sit.

Obviously it's a local derby so it will be busy but for general games.

7 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I've managed to persuade a Wendies mate to drive down with me for the Yeovil home game at the end of march. Which stand would you say was best or not as busy, the stagecoach or main stand? Might still go in the big bank but not sure yet if we want to sit.

Obviously it's a local derby so it will be busy but for general games.

The Stagecoach is where I sit near the halfway line. It is your traditional old wooden stand with uprights that obscure your view, but the atmosphere is good. The main grandstand is cantilevered so good view of all pitch. Big bank good view from behind goal. Usually singing a song for Stanno (Adam Stansfield ).

20 hours ago, hintonsboots said:

The Stagecoach is where I sit near the halfway line. It is your traditional old wooden stand with uprights that obscure your view, but the atmosphere is good. The main grandstand is cantilevered so good view of all pitch. Big bank good view from behind goal. Usually singing a song for Stanno (Adam Stansfield ).

I was due to go down today to Exeter and watch the Stevenage game tomorrow but have had to cancel.

My parents live in Exeter and many friends go to the Exeter games. I've been 'told' a deal has been done but at 2.4m, guess we will wait and see in the Summer. 

1 hour ago, Subman said:

I was due to go down today to Exeter and watch the Stevenage game tomorrow but have had to cancel.

My parents live in Exeter and many friends go to the Exeter games. I've been 'told' a deal has been done but at 2.4m, guess we will wait and see in the Summer. 

Is it a reliable source? As I said earlier he was definitely in negotiations with an unnamed club on deadline day. If City go up you would think he would be tempted to stay.

2 hours ago, hintonsboots said:

Is it a reliable source? As I said earlier he was definitely in negotiations with an unnamed club on deadline day. If City go up you would think he would be tempted to stay.

No is not reliable however I do know a few people down there so will ask the question. I very much doubt he would stay at City, money talks and he wants to play at the highest possible level. He'll be chuffed by getting City two million plus.

On 16/02/2017 at 13:12, hintonsboots said:

Yes we had Clinton Morrison on a pay as you play deal last season and he was commuting. McAlinden is on loan from Wolves though in the distant North. I have posted a link to Ampadu if anyone hasn't heard about him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37031482

Exeter fan in peace. Just reading through this thread for obvious reasons and thought I'd clarify a few things.

Liam McAlinden isn't on loan, he signed a permanent deal with us in the summer of 2016, from Wolves. I like him and I hope he'll be an adequate Wheeler replacement when he leaves. Liam is only 22 and I see plenty of scope for improvement, particularly as we do have a good record of improving players.

As Hintonsboots alluded, Wheeler came to professional football comparatively late. He also suffers with asthma and during his first couple of seasons with us he rarely completed 90 minutes and was often used most effectively as a super sub. I suspect that his upturn in both consistency and form may in part be down to his learning how to manage his condition within the rigours of professional football. He is a great finisher and he is one of the best players in the air I've seen. He regularly out jumps defenders far taller than himself and he is also very quick. As he is over 24 we wouldn't get a penny for him if he chose to let his contract run down so unfortunately he'll be available for a lot less than Ollie Watkins :(

I can't shed any light on whether Watkins is a done deal yet, however 2.4 million is what I'd expect as a minimum and I'd want add ons too, certainly a percentage of any sell on profit. He is special and I feel sure he'll replicate this form and goalscoring ability at a higher level.

As for Ethan Ampadu, I'm afraid you guys have no chance at all. He is the son of Kwame Ampadu, a former Exeter player who is now an academy coach at Arsenal. He's been watched by all the biggest teams for a number of years and almost certainly would have gone years ago had his parents not insisted he complete his education first. He is currently in year eleven at school and will be off at the end of the season. The smart money is on Arsenal but any of the top 6 is possible. As he is yet to sign a pro deal with us we'll end up with a pittance as a consequence of the EPPP, a system that means Premier League clubs pay a fixed tariff for academy players from lower league teams. It's daylight robbery. Look it up if you haven't heard of it as it includes Championship clubs. If he was already a pro with us we'd already be talking millions rather than thousands for his services, based on his potential alone. He was recently named the Wales Young Player of the year when he had just turned 16.

Good luck with the rest of the season :)

14 hours ago, Mitsiboy said:

Exeter fan in peace. Just reading through this thread for obvious reasons and thought I'd clarify a few things.

Liam McAlinden isn't on loan, he signed a permanent deal with us in the summer of 2016, from Wolves. I like him and I hope he'll be an adequate Wheeler replacement when he leaves. Liam is only 22 and I see plenty of scope for improvement, particularly as we do have a good record of improving players.

As Hintonsboots alluded, Wheeler came to professional football comparatively late. He also suffers with asthma and during his first couple of seasons with us he rarely completed 90 minutes and was often used most effectively as a super sub. I suspect that his upturn in both consistency and form may in part be down to his learning how to manage his condition within the rigours of professional football. He is a great finisher and he is one of the best players in the air I've seen. He regularly out jumps defenders far taller than himself and he is also very quick. As he is over 24 we wouldn't get a penny for him if he chose to let his contract run down so unfortunately he'll be available for a lot less than Ollie Watkins :(

I can't shed any light on whether Watkins is a done deal yet, however 2.4 million is what I'd expect as a minimum and I'd want add ons too, certainly a percentage of any sell on profit. He is special and I feel sure he'll replicate this form and goalscoring ability at a higher level.

As for Ethan Ampadu, I'm afraid you guys have no chance at all. He is the son of Kwame Ampadu, a former Exeter player who is now an academy coach at Arsenal. He's been watched by all the biggest teams for a number of years and almost certainly would have gone years ago had his parents not insisted he complete his education first. He is currently in year eleven at school and will be off at the end of the season. The smart money is on Arsenal but any of the top 6 is possible. As he is yet to sign a pro deal with us we'll end up with a pittance as a consequence of the EPPP, a system that means Premier League clubs pay a fixed tariff for academy players from lower league teams. It's daylight robbery. Look it up if you haven't heard of it as it includes Championship clubs. If he was already a pro with us we'd already be talking millions rather than thousands for his services, based on his potential alone. He was recently named the Wales Young Player of the year when he had just turned 16.

Good post. Didn't realise McAlinden was a permanent signing. He has potential but looks lightweight needs more physicality to be a striker. The academy under Simon Hayward has produced and continues to produce some good talent. I like the look of Ampadu, but hard to predict how good he can be. Grimes and Goss have had to drop down to the championship to find their level. Probably George Friend is the most successful academy graduate. Anyway looking forward to the Stevenage game they are the form team in league 2.

7 minutes ago, Gandalf's shin pads said:

Not sure if anyone else has posted/mentioned this but the Derby Telegraph are reporting that Derby now face competition from both Norwich and Sheffield Utd for his signature...

Story was in the Sun this morning in Nixon's piece.

I've never seen the lad play but judging by some of the reports then he certainly appears to have something about him.

If and I say, if Derby are / were interested, it would be extremely disappointing that a deal wasn't done before the January deadline - pay some of the fee upfront and then loan the player back to Exeter for the rest of this season.

On 2/17/2017 at 21:35, Mitsiboy said:

Cheers @Mitsiboy - really interesting post.

Archived