Ollie Watkins - Signed for Brentford

Arsene Titman

22 hours ago, Mitsiboy said:

To be honest, the bit that really made it stand out as extremely unlikely was that your mate said Stevie Mac was on the phone to the player. It didn't happen, sorry. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he ended up with you guys or if a deal has already been done, or even if it was for 4 million.

You see,  this is the preposterous bit.

We are derby.  We don't do good value deals.  You say  £4m, we would counter offer by saying that we won't pay a penny less than  £11m :lol:

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/4/2017 at 15:20, Mitsiboy said:

He's at it again. Just beat 2 players and smashed it in from outside the box. 

Fantastic finish from him. Also not sure how he didn't get a penalty 20 seconds before Hartlepool scored their second.

His goal yesterday was with his left foot...is that his preferred side? Looks a tall lad as well so presumably not too shabby in the air? 

As an aside, have a lot of time for Exeter...fan owned club who play the right way & like the way you've stuck with Tisdale even when you've had sticky patches. Very progressive which is unusual in the lower divisions.

Life and situations are all about 'timing'.

When do you take a calculated risk ? When the odds of success are greater than those of failure.

Delay and the moment is lost or you end up paying far, far more than you 'intended' to secure the same commodity.

Example: Dele Alli trial at Liverpool (they delayed and were indecisive), in 'nipped' Tottenham within a year he is a full England international worth millions more than Liverpool could have got him for.

The club needs to back their 'calculated' hunches.

Too many times we are 'linked' (correctly or incorrectly) with someone with potential, but we wait and wait until eventually someone else takes a chance.

The fear of 'failure' leads to paralysis, inactivity and stagnation.

We 'must' become more proactive to move forward.

1 hour ago, Rab a dab doo said:

Life and situations are all about 'timing'.

When do you take a calculated risk ? When the odds of success are greater than those of failure.

Delay and the moment is lost or you end up paying far, far more than you 'intended' to secure the same commodity.

Example: Dele Alli trial at Liverpool (they delayed and were indecisive), in 'nipped' Tottenham within a year he is a full England international worth millions more than Liverpool could have got him for.

The club needs to back their 'calculated' hunches.

Too many times we are 'linked' (correctly or incorrectly) with someone with potential, but we wait and wait until eventually someone else takes a chance.

The fear of 'failure' leads to paralysis, inactivity and stagnation.

We 'must' become more proactive to move forward.

Fair point.

Out of interest, why do you put so many 'quotation' marks around words that don't need them? It's rather 'off-putting'.

45 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Fair point.

Out of interest, why do you put so many 'quotation' marks around words that don't need them? It's rather 'off-putting'.

Not 'off-putting' at at all to me so Rab-dab, you carry on if that's how you 'prefer' to post.

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

Fair point.

I'm with you. It is 'very' off-putting. NOT AS BAD AS PEOPLE WHO WRITE IN CAPITALS THOUGH!

2 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Not 'off-putting' at at all to me so Rab-dab, you carry on if that's how you 'prefer' to post.

It's not a criticism btw, he/she posts good points; it's more a query. Are they words chosen at random or is there a method behind it? 

23 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Fantastic finish from him. Also not sure how he didn't get a penalty 20 seconds before Hartlepool scored their second.

His goal yesterday was with his left foot...is that his preferred side? Looks a tall lad as well so presumably not too shabby in the air? 

As an aside, have a lot of time for Exeter...fan owned club who play the right way & like the way you've stuck with Tisdale even when you've had sticky patches. Very progressive which is unusual in the lower divisions.

At times the fans have been on Tisdales back, I've even heard the fans singing you're taking us down to him, but not now City are in the top 6. I might be wrong but I thought he was on a 2 year rolling contract so would cost £270 000 to sack him ? I'm sure our resident Exeter fan will be along to correct me shortly.

11 hours ago, hintonsboots said:

At times the fans have been on Tisdales back, I've even heard the fans singing you're taking us down to him, but not now City are in the top 6. I might be wrong but I thought he was on a 2 year rolling contract so would cost £270 000 to sack him ? I'm sure our resident Exeter fan will be along to correct me shortly.

Actually you're pretty much spot on. After gaining successive promotions from the conference to league one there was a lot of interest in Tisdale's services, from teams such as Southampton and Swansea. As a result of that he was given a two year rolling contract and although the exact salary is the subject of much conjecture, I know from a reliable source that it was £150,000 per year. After our relegation back to league two, he took the 10% pay decrease that was part of the terms of the contract, so £270,000 to show him the door is correct. 

His first five years with us were amazing and he is rightly heralded as one of our best managers ever. The five years since haven't been anywhere near as good on the pitch and our home form has been dire for most of that time, culminating in our worst ever start to a season at home this year. We had only 2 points and 3 goals to show for our first 8 home games this season and when a win finally did arrive, we had waited something like 290 days since the last one! So a few dissenting voices were inevitable and to be honest, at any other club he would have been sacked. Thankfully our away form was stellar and the progress off the field and at the youth academy, combined with his past success, our lack of money and Tisdale's excellent relationship with the club board meant he was given the opportunity to sort it out and to be fair to him, he has.

13 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Could it be for emphasis?

That would be the natural assumption, but it's for random words that wouldn't require emphasis, so I ruled that out. 

15 hours ago, Rab a dab doo said:

Note taken 're- quotation marks'

Honestly mate, it was a very casual observation and not worthy of this many replies! As too many women have told me over the years: "It's me, not you."

1 hour ago, oomarkwright said:

Cheeky summer bid for him would be good. 

Cheeky?   I assume you mean cheap?   If that`s the best we can do, he`ll go elsewhere.

Ollie Watkins has obviously shown qualities that would interest higher division clubs so why should Exeter sell him cheaply? I`m all for signing promising players from the lower divisions and allowing them to develop and flourish which, as has been shown in the past, some will and some won`t but don`t expect the selling club to accept peanuts for them.

Archived