Who are our biggest rivals?

StringOfBeads

1 hour ago, r4derby said:

Forest are our rivals, want them in the same division as us wherever it is. I'm not massively pleased they're in trouble of relegation. Them finishing 21st would be the dream.

Whereas I dislike Leeds the most. Couldn't care less who they're playing, want them to lose and go down every season. Again, don't know why 

The Sunderland of the championship. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there's got to be some context in terms of the era. I wasn't around in the 70s so don't fully get the whole Leeds thing. I certainly don't like them, but I think that's partly because I feel I shouldn't, but also because I genuinely hate the way they live in te last so much. Manchester United a rival, not for decades. Remember a few years back they were playing one of the big clubs in the cup, and they were the league one underdog. That's the more relevant, recent history for Leeds. (Same reason why Forest would be so easy to hate, even if they weren't from down the road, and full of numpties)  

But for very recent events, I'd say QPR. I hated the way they tried to buy the league, and laughed at the fact that their super expensive squad couldn't gel properly. I hated the fact that they beat us, of course, but laughed at their ultimate demise in the premiership. I hated how they managed to skip out on a massive fine on a technicality, but now I enjoy watching them loose most weeks. And they're just a nothing club (imo). But still just enough about them, and just enough recent history with us, to make me really hate despise them. 

We have about 5 rivals in real terms i recon.

Burton - Friendly rivalry, division rivals at best

Chetserfield - The only other decent team in Derbyshire friendly rival at best

Leeds - A rivalry stemming from the b clough days now divisional rivals and just because they are dirty leeds

Leicester - Way way bigger for them that it has ever been for us. I would define them as Noisey Neighbours and i even live in Leicestershire.

Forest - Both sets of fans will genrally agree this is the big one. Local rivalry and so much history connecting and causing conflict with each other compounded by the fact we have to play them twice every year in the same division.

The rivalry between us and Leicester, and us and Leeds is very similar. Definitely one-way.

I think the only teams I really have a dislike of currently are those that have taken over Derby and performing much better since the 2013/14 season. It's not their fault, in fact my dislike of them is largely due to our failings.

Burnley and Leicester not so much. They deserved top two that season.

But now teams like Watford, Bournemouth and especially Boro. It hurts to see them doing better than us.

Also Sheffield Wednesday in the Championship. They're a better bet for promotion than us, and considering the gap between the two clubs in 2013/14, and how much we've spent since then, it's mindblowing.

Forest are our only rivals. The Leicester 'rivalry' is more a media construction (and Im saying that as someone who was there in 1994) while the Leeds 'rivalry' is generational at best. Supporters under the age of 45 on both sides don't seem to recognise it. Burton and Chesterfield are just two other teams. 

Just my opinion mind...

New poster here (long time reader) so be nice! :D To be honest I think the only game 'most' people can agree on is Forest. This then surely points to that being our biggest game/biggest rivals. Any other team is all down to personal views/relationships.

In our extended family we have Forest and Leicester fans so growing up both of these games meant a lot to me, but obviously Forest is the main 'rivalry'. The Leeds connection means nothing to me seeing as i wasn't even born during the clough days, except the fact that everyone hates Leeds anyway! I've always enjoyed games against the Sheffield clubs, the atmosphere is always better than a standard fixture.

1 minute ago, WestStandRam said:

New poster here (long time reader) so be nice! :D To be honest I think the only game 'most' people can agree on is Forest. This then surely points to that being our biggest game/biggest rivals. Any other team is all down to personal views/relationships.

In our extended family we have Forest and Leicester fans so growing up both of these games meant a lot to me, but obviously Forest is the main 'rivalry'. The Leeds connection means nothing to me seeing as i wasn't even born during the clough days, except the fact that everyone hates Leeds anyway! I've always enjoyed games against the Sheffield clubs, the atmosphere is always better than a standard fixture.

Welcome to the Forum@WestStandRam.

Forest clearly & Leicester as a 2nd choice. Although its amusing to treat the bindippers as an irrelevance, fact is their success (over 15 years) & ridiculous record against us makes them worth disliking. The smugness of Lineker/Bhasin/Claridge doesnt help either.

The Leeds thing is as embarrassing as Leeds believing Man Utd see them as rivals. If they were true rivals, we'd take a damn sight more fans up to Elland Road than we manage every year. No idea why we turn up at Hillsborough/Oakwell in numbers but never sell out away at Leeds. People are confusing dislike with rivalry...a lot on here will hate Millwall or Man Utd but no-one would seriously consider either as rivals. Having spoken with a few of the 'rowdier' element up here in Leeds over the years, consensus seems to be that Derby are actually quite popular on account of being a 'proper club' in this division & a decent away day with a bit of needle.

19 hours ago, StringOfBeads said:

Times are changing Leicester arent in our league any more, Burton seem to be on more of a friendly rivalry so apart from Forest who are our rivals these days ?

Not so sure. Foxes are only playing well in Champions League, and that will only last into the early knock out stages. Next season I expect Leicester to be in the lower half of the PL. As a club, DCFC should be looking to that as a target. If and when we get back into the PL, we would be seen as a local rival for sure. 

Leeds / Derby is definitely a rivalry for older Leeds fans- know a few and they don't like Derby.... I presume younger Leeds fans won't care though...I personally don't care whether Leeds see Derby as a rival....I still don't like them! Forest are definitely number 1...

Leicester...rivalry because of the 94 playoff final and some hard fought matches in the 90s. Presumably anyone growing up in the 90s watching Derby would see Derby v Leicester as a big match? But older or younger ones probably don't care as much?

Is Stoke a rivalry?  Always thought Stoke/Derby might be one or might have been?

1 hour ago, Inverurie Ram said:

4 pages and none of ya have mentioned our biggest rivals, this lot can shove there Vespas and ice creams up their @rses!

2dlkosh.jpg

Cremonese........Bella bluddy Bella!

Still got me Cremonese scarf that we swapped for a Rams scarf with a London waiter......always thought it was funny that an Italian scored for us that day as well....Marco, Marco....:D.

2 hours ago, Davide said:

Leeds / Derby is definitely a rivalry for older Leeds fans- know a few and they don't like Derby.... I presume younger Leeds fans won't care though...I personally don't care whether Leeds see Derby as a rival....I still don't like them! Forest are definitely number 1...

Leicester...rivalry because of the 94 playoff final and some hard fought matches in the 90s. Presumably anyone growing up in the 90s watching Derby would see Derby v Leicester as a big match? But older or younger ones probably don't care as much?

Is Stoke a rivalry?  Always thought Stoke/Derby might be one or might have been?

Stoke was a big rivalry for us lot from Utch back in the day. Serious stuff. All gone now apart from friendly banter.

Going back to the 70's, Leeds were rivals because they cheated while Derby played good football and won fairly. Don Revie was a corrupt cheating barstard who encouraged his players to bribe or hurt opponents while Brian Clough made his Derby team play fairly.

And Frannie Lee cracked Norman Hunter.

Leeds fans were mostly completely braindead d1ck4eads back then, i can only praise them for being so consistent over several decades.

Leeds? Not rivals, just wankersssss!

I'm surprised Stroke-on-Bent isn't more of a rivalry to be honest. Those of you who know of or have worked with kids from Utch who support the chip eaters will know what I mean. The most chavvy, deluded, loud-mouthed little f**king nob heads you'll ever come across.

Support so **** they still can't afford to fill the corners in on their windy little Pride Park wannabe stadium.

We've only got one rival.

Every other football club on the face of the earth is on a spectrum from "tolerate grudgingly" to "hate". Bristol City or Blackpool (meh) to MK Dons or Man Utd (I hope you get puss oozing infected warts on your shrivelled little yeast ridden members). None of them are rivals.

7 hours ago, I Am Sheep said:

I'm surprised Stroke-on-Bent isn't more of a rivalry to be honest. Those of you who know of or have worked with kids from Utch who support the chip eaters will know what I mean. The most chavvy, deluded, loud-mouthed little f**king nob heads you'll ever come across.

Support so **** they still can't afford to fill the corners in on their windy little Pride Park wannabe stadium.

They're not like that with us.

We know where they live:ph34r:

Archived