England Cricket 2017

PistoldPete2

This was the 534th first-class match played at Headingley, and the first time that anyone - let alone a lad previously averaging just 14 in test cricket - had scored a ton in each innings.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2
8 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I think you just have to stand back and applaud the West Indies for their stirring performance.

When Moeen scored 84 on day four, most probably thought he had taken the game away from the West Indies, myself included.

Knowing how dominant England have been over WI since the turn of the century, of course Root was right to declare and back his bowlers to deliver and defend 300+. 9 times out of 10, it would have happened true to form.

But yes, credit to West Indies for breathing life back into the series, showing some courage and some fight, and making for an entertaining contest.

Everyone's a winner.

I don't think you should get too hung up on stats. Fourth innings chases are rare because usually side batting last doesn't need 300 plus to win. Also historically batting was harder. 

The scores in this match got higher as the game wore on. So it was wrong to bat first and wrong to declare.

but windies deserved to win. And it sets us up for a decider at lords ... Bring it on. 

Wrong to bat first and wrong to declare IN HINDSIGHT.  Easiest place from which to pontificate and show how clever you are. 

I applaud Joe for seeking to force a result. Risk didn't work this time, but I agree with the above; test cricket needs this type of game. Not a five day bore draw.

I still think the declaration was the right move. I would much rather see us lose a match trying to win it than going down the Cook and Strauss route of batting until the game is completely dead rendering most of the last day a complete farce.

The West Indies batted much better than anyone expected and fair play to them, they earned the win and the test was more entertaining as a result of the declaration.

3 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I still think the declaration was the right move. I would much rather see us lose a match trying to win it than going down the Cook and Strauss route of batting until the game is completely dead rendering most of the last day a complete farce.

The West Indies batted much better than anyone expected and fair play to them, they earned the win and the test was more entertaining as a result of the declaration.

Pleased for them, great Test Match....

Bangladesh beat Australia for the first time in test matches today. They are becoming quite formidable at home, and in Shakib Al Hasan, they have the #1 ranked all-rounder in all three forms of the game at the moment.

On the Root thing ....

According to the Boycott,  you should never ever put the opposition in when winning the toss but hey-ho. 

Declaring on a pitch that wasn't obviously deteriorating, giving enough overs to win by scoring between 3 and 4 an over was high risk.

But having done so, the on-field captaincy was quite poor. Defensive fields,  not introducing stokes early enough all compounded by poor fielding.

Parallels with a Rams match....:thumbsup:

PistoldPete2
13 hours ago, LazloW said:

Wrong to bat first and wrong to declare IN HINDSIGHT.  Easiest place from which to pontificate and show how clever you are. 

I applaud Joe for seeking to force a result. Risk didn't work this time, but I agree with the above; test cricket needs this type of game. Not a five day bore draw.

No I definitely thought at the time this was a risky declaration... would have posted here as much but it was GOT finale etc on Monday night. One other thought... maybe if we played Roland-Jones as well as Woakes we could have bowled them out? Dropping one of the misfiring batsmen wouldnt have hurt.     

If Cooke hadn't dropped two relatively straightforward catches the outcome might've been different.

I don't blame Root for batting first or for the decoration.

Overall a terrific test match...how many last the full five days these days?

England will win the series 2-1 no sweat.

9 hours ago, DerbyMark said:

If Cooke hadn't dropped two relatively straightforward catches the outcome might've been different.

I don't blame Root for batting first or for the decoration.

Overall a terrific test match...how many last the full five days these days?

England will win the series 2-1 no sweat.

It was a match of quite a few drops, highlighted by Cricinfo's colourful commentary...

England first innings

• (19.5, Root on 8) Gabriel to Root, no run, edged and dropped! Oh good grief, what a moment! That could have been West Indies officially in control of this Test. Outside off, a hard-handed poke, Powell watched it into his hands and straight out again. Root was already walking off the pitch!
  • (38.3, Stokes on 9) Roach to Stokes, FOUR, edged and dropped! That's terrible from West Indies' cordon. A fizzing, lifting edge from Roach, into Stokes' splice, and through the hands of Brathwaite at second slip, it flicked his thumb as he picked it up late. You can't be handing out second chances like that...
  • (66.4, Stokes on 98) Roach to Stokes, no run, dropped! Would you believe it! Stokes clubbed this from outside off, straight to mid-on where Gabriel has shelled it. My goodness.
  • (69.3, Broad on 0) Gabriel to Broad, no run, edged and dropped! Oh good grief, this is desperate. Turned inside out by an absolute jaffa, full length, bursting off the seam, turning Broad inside-out, and Dowrich juggles it in front of his chest, and out it pops!

West Indies first innings

• (64.5, SD Hope on 72) Ali to SD Hope, no run, back and across, and ... dropped! Such a tough chance, needed to nestle in the gut of Stoneman at short leg really, but these athletes today, stomachs like washboards, it just trampolines away to safety...
  • (103.2, Blackwood on 21) Broad to Blackwood, no run, dropped at mid-on! That's a dolly, as easy as Gabriel's on the first day. Moeen the man. Blackwood club it off a good length, got no timing, it spooned in the air and somehow Moeen has shelled it. Oh dear.
  • (118.5, Gabriel on 0) Ali to Gabriel, no run, stabbed to short leg, and dropped! In and out again.

England second innings

• (43.1, Root on 10) Roach to Root, no run, edged and dropped! Oh dear, so much pressure being built up by the bowlers, and this time it's Root once again with the let off! A forcing stroke off the back foot, straight at Kyle Hope's face at the first of two gullies, and the rebound nearly reached the second too!
  • (69.3, Malan on 32) Holder to Malan, no run, dropped! Oh, no, West Indies! Another full delivery, wide outside off, shapes away a touch again. Malan drives, gets the edge, Dowrich dives across in front of first slip who then grasses the chance.
  • (105.3, Bairstow on 13) Holder to Bairstow, 1 run, dropped in the covers, but to be frank, it was a brilliant goalkeeper's save of four runs. Smashed on the up, and Kyle Hope made tremendous ground, high to his left, but couldn't cling on.

West Indies second innings

• (9.6, Brathwaite on 4) Broad to Brathwaite, FOUR, dropped, by Cook at first slip! That should have been England's first of the day. Won't improve Broad's mood. Was a short-of-a-length delivery outside off, Brathwaite pushed at it, was at chest height just to Cook's left but it bursts through his hands.
  • (19.1, Brathwaite on 29) Broad to Brathwaite, OUT, dropped, deflected, run out! Broad in his followthrough can't cling onto a fierce straight drive, but instead, the ball ricochets off his thigh, into the non-striker's stumps, and Hope is stranded! England get the breakthrough in the most extraordinary passage of play, and now West Indies are up against it...
  • (83.3, Hope on 106) Broad to SD Hope, no run, edged and dropped! Wow. Cook again, Hope again. A slash outside off, he sighted it late in front of his face at first slip, and it spangs through his palms. It's getting dark out there too, which won't have helped!
  • (90.1, Blackwood on 38) Ali to Blackwood, 1 run, smashed into the deep and dropped! Well, how fitting is that! And it's Stokes of all people, he doesn't drop many, but the gloom has descended in every sense!

I make that 7-all in dropped catches - some frighteningly difficult, some absolute dollies and one which led to Kyle Hope's unfortunate run-out at the non-striker's end.

20 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Anyone else think the SKY coverage of the 20/20 finals day has been awful.....seems the cricket has come second to the nonsense, turned it in to a circus....

You didn't enjoy the Bumble vs Freddie sing off just now?

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Anyone else think the SKY coverage of the 20/20 finals day has been awful.....seems the cricket has come second to the nonsense, turned it in to a circus....

Terrible. Flintoff has to be the worst cricket commentator I have ever heard and David Lloyd is as annoying as hell.

Just commentate on the cricket please.

11 hours ago, reveldevil said:

I really enjoyed the coverage all day, great T20 cricket all day, and the best team won.

I really enjoyed the cricket and love 20/20 but for the first time I think they over did the circus element. How many times did we see endless shots of drunken guys dressed as bananas or butchers in the crowd...20 second shots at a time and then we would just get back to the cricket as the bowler was about to bowl the ball. Are we really interested in seeing people go on fair ground rides, shot after shot??? David Lloyd 3 or 4 years ago was mildly amusing. Now he is like one of those poor comedians that expects a laugh after everything he says. I am no killjoy but for me for the first time this was way over the top and reduced my enjoyment of a great cricketing day....

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I really enjoyed the cricket and love 20/20 but for the first time I think they over did the circus element. How many times did we see endless shots of drunken guys dressed as bananas or butchers in the crowd...20 second shots at a time and then we would just get back to the cricket as the bowler was about to bowl the ball. Are we really interested in seeing people go on fair ground rides, shot after shot??? David Lloyd 3 or 4 years ago was mildly amusing. Now he is like one of those poor comedians that expects a laugh after everything he says. I am no killjoy but for me for the first time this was way over the top and reduced my enjoyment of a great cricketing day....

All fair points. 

I got the impression they were aiming for an immersive feel to the coverage of the day, but I can understand why you'd think it wasn't focused enough on the actual sport taking place.

We have now won two series of rather patchy cricket. Neither SA nor the Windies have batted well (with the obvious exception of Shay Hope).

We are heading for an Ashes series with real doubts about positions 2,3  and 5 and no bowler who consistently exceeds 90 mph. Anderson is class but has a moderate record Down Under.

For the first time in a few years I'm apprehensive about our chances.

I would like to see Hameed and Wood back in form and hope they will give spin a chance since we have Stokes as a third pace bowler.

Archived