England Cricket 2017

PistoldPete2

Can someone please explain to me why, when a match is effectively beyond saving, England batsmen insist on trying to play scoring shots? 

If you're batting last, and you're four thousand runs behind, don't try to play expansive strokes thus giving away your wicket and handing victory to the opposition. Bore the buggers to death.

If the ball's going to miss the stumps,leave it alone, have nowt t' do wi' it. If, on the other hand,  you think the ball will hit the stumps, then dead bat it and grin and the bowler and tell him better luck next time.

And don't give me that guff that some commentators come out with about having to keep the scoreboard ticking over, cos it's cobblers.

Which is better?

England 133 all out: South Africa win by 340 runs

or

England 17 for 4. Close of play,  match drawn.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is confusing as to why they don't just try to bat out the innings, even if the quality bowling gets the better of the batsmen, it's better than chucking a wicket away. Most of the batsmen like Stokes, Ali, Bairstow etc. are all big hitters and it just seems like we don't have the steel or ability to just at least TRY to bat out the day. 

On 18/07/2017 at 15:00, Grimbeard said:

Can someone please explain to me why, when a match is effectively beyond saving, England batsmen insist on trying to play scoring shots? 

If you're batting last, and you're four thousand runs behind, don't try to play expansive strokes thus giving away your wicket and handing victory to the opposition. Bore the buggers to death.

If the ball's going to miss the stumps,leave it alone, have nowt t' do wi' it. If, on the other hand,  you think the ball will hit the stumps, then dead bat it and grin and the bowler and tell him better luck next time.

And don't give me that guff that some commentators come out with about having to keep the scoreboard ticking over, cos it's cobblers.

Which is better?

England 133 all out: South Africa win by 340 runs

or

England 17 for 4. Close of play,  match drawn.

Bring back boycott and tavare. 

26 runs in a session I watched them do once.

0 wickets lost tho.....

2 hours ago, froggg said:

England women win the World Cup at Lords, defeating India by nine runs ???????????

It was an absolutely fantastic match - we were glued to it all day. Then a bit later, England Women beat Spain 2-0 in the Euro footy championship..

8 minutes ago, eddie said:

It was an absolutely fantastic match - we were glued to it all day. Then a bit later, England Women beat Spain 2-0 in the Euro footy championship..

I turned it on this morning and barely moved all day.

Terrific fight back by England when it looked like India would get the job done.

I wonder how the Indian team could ever recover from throwing that away?

They just needed to stay in and take the easy singles on offer yet one by one they perished playing big shots. 

Pressure I guess but fair play to England who after a limp batting display fielded sharply  - all bar that penultimate ball. Has anyone seen a worse dropped catch?

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I wonder how the Indian team could ever recover from throwing that away?

They just needed to stay in and take the easy singles on offer yet one by one they perished playing big shots. 

Pressure I guess but fair play to England who after a limp batting display fielded sharply  - all bar that penultimate ball. Has anyone seen a worse dropped catch?

Pressure got to her, must be a Derby lass!

Well Jennings shouldn't be playing. Like Ballance he hasn't got it at international level. I say that despite the fact he's scored a ton. You get a sense when someone's at the wicket. I'd have picked Jason Roy alllllll  day long. 

Little-known fact of the day...

Moeen Ali has scored the most test centuries in the last year, and his reward is a place at no. 8 in the batting line-up.

1 hour ago, eddie said:

Little-known fact of the day...

Moeen Ali has scored the most test centuries in the last year, and his reward is a place at no. 8 in the batting line-up.

Yeah his 'crap' form with the ball has also left him as England's no 2 spinner. ?

Archived