England Cricket 2017

PistoldPete2

37 minutes ago, curtains said:

Yes that would be good. 

Bairstowe will be disappointed to be out LBW on 99 sweeping when he had a good stride in. 

He really managed his innings well .

Yes he looked distraught, can understand why he went for it with Jimmy at the other end.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2
16 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Oh Jimmy jimmy.

not the undertones song , not sure what the tune is. Anyway he's keeping his end up. 

Son of my Father is the tune im told.Was a hit for Chicory Tip.

1 hour ago, DEL said:

Squad for West Indies first test match which starts next Thursday. 

https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/447587

Stoneman replaced Jennings(about time) 

Crane in the squad too. 

Crane looks to be a good prospect - a 20 year old leggie who's beginning to put in some decent performances in the championship.

1 hour ago, Bridgford Ram said:

Crane aside, is it not a worry that the players coming into the side are 28 plus - Westley, Stoneman, Roland-Jones and Malan - where are the young players?

Not at all. The optimum age for pretty well any test cricketer is over 30. I did some statistical analysis a long time ago which seemed to indicate that the magic number seemed to be 33 for bowlers and batsmen in general, and a little higher for both wicketkeepers and spin bowlers.

Young players (i.e. under 21) do break through, and they seem to be breaking through earlier these days owing to an expansion of national and international tournaments, but that tendency seems to be predominantly skewed towards one-day cricket.

3 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Not really a Test match was it? What's gone wrong with the Windies? 

Very young side in the process of rebuilding.

10 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Not really a Test match was it? What's gone wrong with the Windies? 

I've not heard of most of their team. In fact, there was at least one name I swear I heard for the first time only when he was out in the second innings. 

Light years away from Richards, Marshall, Greenidge, Haynes et al. 

Not sure what can be done about it. Gayle and co earn too much money in the IPL to be interested and there are now other sports in the West Indies which take precedence.

Even when they have had or batting sides in the past they at least had fast bowlers. I think Paul Collingwood could get into this side as a bowler!

Really sad and confirmation that simply playing for your country is not a source of pride.

Archived