Are we **** at transfers?

Nuwtfly

Been mulling this over in my head today, and I can't quite seem to decide.

Sometimes we seem to pull an absolute blinder, keeping Bryson despite the Burnley interest, signing George Thorne, signing Ince despite Steve Bruce wanting to keep him, signing Shackell in the same way, signing Carson for peanuts, getting decent money for Hendrick & Grant, the list goes on...

...and then there's the Martin loan deal (I mean, wtf was going on there?!) and bringing in Vydra as his replacement, as well as a number of occasions when we've arguably bought the wrong type of player at the wrong time (i.e signing Butterfield to play next to Hughes when they're so similar, signing Blackman for 2.5m when he didn't have long left on his deal, Anya for £4m?!?!

I don't know. Are we any good at this transfer business? 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say Rush/Mel seem to be pretty astute at the business side of things. They appear to be quite canny and ruthless. 

The bad examples you've given (Martin, Vydra etc) were more down to the Managers at the club at the time. Clement and Pearson seemed to be cack.

Not saying SM and Chris Evans have an unblemished record,  but I'm sure they wouldn't have bought Blackman and sold Martin and their track record of young, prem loanees is amazing.

18 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Sometimes we seem to pull an absolute blinder, keeping Bryson despite the Burnley interest, signing George Thorne, signing Ince despite Steve Bruce wanting to keep him, signing Shackell in the same way, signing Carson for peanuts, getting decent money for Hendrick & Grant, the list goes on...

...and then there's the Martin loan deal (I mean, wtf was going on there?!) and bringing in Vydra as his replacement, as well as a number of occasions when we've arguably bought the wrong type of player at the wrong time (i.e signing Butterfield to play next to Hughes when they're so similar, signing Blackman for 2.5m when he didn't have long left on his deal, Anya for £4m?!?!

In what way are Hughes and Butterfield similar?

Hughes actually has some aggression to his game whereas Butterfield seems very apathetic most of the time. Both have decent passing ranges (although you wouldn't have guessed based on yesterday) granted, but apart from that they seem starkly different to me...

1 minute ago, YorkshireRam said:

In what way are Hughes and Butterfield similar?

Hughes actually has some aggression to his game whereas Butterfield seems very apathetic most of the time. Both have decent passing ranges (although you wouldn't have guessed based on yesterday) granted, but apart from that they seem starkly different to me...

Both their games revolve around moving the ball forward and picking out neat passes. They're both creators. Even Rammage was moaning on Saturday about how their games were too similar. 

Every football club, every manager, every owner in the history, present and future of football will have overpaid for players, purchased absolute dross, signed unknown gems and got bargains people had never heard of.

thats why football is what it is

for every cantona there is a prunier

for every payet there is a zaza

for every Bryson there is a kazmeziak

for every Suarez there is a cheyrou

for every viera there is a jeffers

We are no worse than anyone else at transfers some work other do not even the great Brian got a few duds. Could be Vydra is like Chris Powell and David Nish both struggled for six to twelve months then everything suddenly clicked.

As for Butterfield I think not scoring is weighing on him at the moment and he was not bought to play with Hughes but to replace him at the time he was injured.

16 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Both their games revolve around moving the ball forward and picking out neat passes. They're both creators. Even Rammage was moaning on Saturday about how their games were too similar. 

Isn't that the job description of a midfielder though?

If they're so similar, how come Butterfield isn't being touted with a £15 million transfer fee? Hughes generally is one of a select few trying to make things happen, normally along with Keogh while Butterfield is seemingly content with just passing sideways constantly.

I'm starting to get very frustrated with Butterfield, there was a noticable difference yesterday when Bryson came on. A runner who was willing to break the ranks, had Bryson started over Butterfield yesterday we would have won. The only thing we lacked was a consistent runner between the midfield and attack, without it our play stagnated and we struggled to create anything meaningful in possession. By the time we realised though, we had become predictable and Wigan had found their rhythm defensively. The time they looked weakest was at the very start and the lack of urgency in our play, which Butterfield contributed massively to, meant we were never going to score yesterday...

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I'd say we've been good up until last summer, but that was one of the worst transfer windows I've ever seen. We sold Martin without adequately replacing him, failed to convince basically anyone to join us and made no improvement to the team we already had, a terrible showing imo

It is interesting that the summer of 2015 was a disastrous transfer window until recently. We signed...

Carson Pearce Baird Johnson Butterfield Ince Bent and Weimann. There were some overpayments and some delayed gratification and the still disastrous Weimann. 

The following January window bought us Blackman, Camara and Olsson, so not the greatest. 

Some signings work out and some don't. Sometimes circumstance means you end up paying over the top. What is bewildering is signing players who don't suit your squad needs or style of play. 

Sometimes you make accidental good signings. Johnson was a massive overpayment in the role we signed him for, but Thorne's injury has saved his career at Derby. We still paid too much, but now not so much. Baird is the really interesting one. Looked ok at RB and then awful at DCM. Again he looked to have little future at Derby then Christie's injury showed what a difference he could make to Ince.

1 hour ago, YorkshireRam said:

Isn't that the job description of a midfielder though?

If they're so similar, how come Butterfield isn't being touted with a £15 million transfer fee? Hughes generally is one of a select few trying to make things happen, normally along with Keogh while Butterfield is seemingly content with just passing sideways constantly.

I'm starting to get very frustrated with Butterfield, there was a noticable difference yesterday when Bryson came on. A runner who was willing to break the ranks, had Bryson started over Butterfield yesterday we would have won. The only thing we lacked was a consistent runner between the midfield and attack, without it our play stagnated and we struggled to create anything meaningful in possession. By the time we realised though, we had become predictable and Wigan had found their rhythm defensively. The time they looked weakest was at the very start and the lack of urgency in our play, which Butterfield contributed massively to, meant we were never going to score yesterday...

No, of course it isn't. Playing a midfield three works best if each of three players are performing different roles. One sitting back and defending (1), one playing the ball creating space (2) and the other supporting the striker as a goal scoring threat from midfield (3). With Throne, Butters and Hughes, you arguably only have (1) and (2) covered. 

Butters isn't being touted with a £15m transfer fee because he a) isn't as young as Hughes and b) doesn't do the job as well.

Your third paragraph confuses me the most, because it proves the point of my argument. We need someone like Bryson to cover roles (1), (2) and (3). Lansbury would be a great fit for role (3), but if we can't get him, there's other options. 

3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

No, of course it isn't. Playing a midfield three works best if each of three players are performing different roles. One sitting back and defending (1), one playing the ball creating space (2) and the other supporting the striker as a goal scoring threat from midfield (3). With Throne, Butters and Hughes, you arguably only have (1) and (2) covered. 

Butters isn't being touted with a £15m transfer fee because he a) isn't as young as Hughes and b) doesn't do the job as well.

Your third paragraph confuses me the most, because it proves the point of my argument. We need someone like Bryson to cover roles (1), (2) and (3). Lansbury would be a great fit for role (3), but if we can't get him, there's other options. 

Don't think enough fans are realising this yet.

1 minute ago, sage said:

It is interesting that the summer of 2015 was a disastrous transfer window until recently. We signed...

Carson Pearce Baird Johnson Butterfield Ince Bent and Weimann. There were some overpayments and some delayed gratification and the still disastrous Weimann. 

The following January window bought us Blackman, Camara and Olsson, so not the greatest. 

Some signings work out and some don't. Sometimes circumstance means you end up paying over the top. What is bewildering is signing players who don't suit your squad needs or style of play. 

Sometimes you make accidental good signings. Johnson was a massive overpayment in the role we signed him for, but Thirne's injury has saved his career at Derby. We still paid too much, but not now so much. Baird is the really interesting one. Looked ok at RB and then awful at DCM. Again he looked to have little future at Derby then Christie's injury showed what a difference he could make to Ince.

Spot on.

There is no doubt that our current side is still inferior to the 2013/14 team, despite having around £40 million spent on it. Does that represent good buying? 

Anya was arguably our best player yesterday. I like him and I'm sure he will be a success here.

Vydra isn't doing well because he doesn't seem to fit our system / way of playing and he's only getting cameo roles. He'll end up at another club and be banging them in. Wrong player, wrong club for him it seems but if he gets a decent run in the side then who knows?

2 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Butterfield was signed as Hughes replacement when he got injured not to play with him.

Archived