80s music

Muskination

2 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

Brilliant, your own piece of British pop history from one of the greats. 

I suppose it is in a small way, I joined C & D for a six week tour and stayed three years, they were great, good blokes and great musicians, they know everybody, they are quite highly regarded "in the biz" oh, and they were well into their football before it became vogue for celebs to hang on to it. 

We went to Tottenham quite a lot and they played at the aforementioned cup final celebrations, that was a great night, we left the venue just after five in the morning, absolutely pished...happy days.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, EastHertsRam said:

Ok, I was working for Chas & Dave at the time, when they recorded the cup final song, it was a bloomin' nuisance, can you get this can you do that, so when we were scheduled to do TOTP I asked the tour manager if I could give it the bodyswerve because I didn't fancy running after the Tottenham players again all day.

Now, I'm a huge Beatles fan and Chas & Dave know Paul McCartney from the time he produced a hit for Cliff Bennett and the Rebel Rousers who Chas and drummer Mickey Burt were in. Anyway, P McC turns up to do TOTP and C & D spent the day with him, which I would have done as well being on their crew, it's what we did. They told him how gutted I'd be when they told me he was there and he sent me a note which I've still got that says To Den, Where were you ? Giving it the old bodyswerve again ? Paul McCartney. 

I can post a picture of it but it will have to be tomorrow now, it's up in the loft.

Yes, a picture would be great. And of anything else you've got. Great stuff.

A few of mine transcend both 70s and 90s...

Massive Attack

Bomb The Base

Art of Noise

Orange Juice

Prefab Sprout

The Durutti Colulm 

Frankie Knuckles

Even some of The Clash great work came in 81/2 with Combat Rock. 

New Order

Simple Minds ( everything up to Sparkle)

Husker Du

The Pixies

Comsat Angels

The KLF

This Mortal Coil

2 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

educated in 80s music by my parents.

Smiths, Ultravox, New Order, Stone Roses, Joy Division, Specials, Madness.. bright lights in an otherwise poor music period - so I'm told

'Poor' is arguable.

The 80s was an interesting time. There was a period from 82-86 when British acts ruled the world. Something not achieved before or since when all of the creativity came together in some unique way to create global hits like no other period in music.

It was a maturing and melding of punk and synth-pop genres to create middle of the road stadium rock for the masses. Think of The Police, Genesis, Phil Collins, Tears for Fears, Culture Club, Duran Duran, Wham, Sting, George Michael, Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac, Spandau Ballet, Def Leppard and Eurythmics. It's a big list, and today its hard to imagine just how big and how dominant these acts were.  Add to that an 80s renaissance for some 70s superstars: Elton John, David Bowie and Queen, and in many ways the 1980s can be viewed as the very pinnacle of British popular music.

Time though hasn't been kind, and much 80s music sounds very dated today.

The British global domination came to a swift end in 1987 when a new fangled 'acid house' sound came out of Chicago nightclubs. Out with stadium rock. In with raves in a field outside Milton Keynes.

4 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

The 80s was an interesting time. There was a period from 82-86 when British acts ruled the world. Something not achieved before or since when all of the creativity came together in some unique way to create global hits like no other period in music.

It was a maturing and melding of punk and synth-pop genres to create middle of the road stadium rock for the masses. Think of The Police, Genesis, Phil Collins, Tears for Fears, Culture Club, Duran Duran, Wham, Sting, George Michael, Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac, Spandau Ballet, Def Leppard and Eurythmics. It's a big list, and today its hard to imagine just how big and how dominant these acts were.  Add to that an 80s renaissance for some 70s superstars: Elton John, David Bowie and Queen, and in many ways the 1980s can be viewed as the very pinnacle of British popular music.

Time though hasn't been kind, and much 80s music sounds very dated today.

The British global domination came to a swift end in 1987 when a new fangled 'acid house' sound came out of Chicago nightclubs. Out with stadium rock. In with raves in a field outside Milton Keynes.

I'd argue that Stock Aitken & Waterman had a much greater negative impact on British music. I remember at one point, they were responsible for 12 of the top 20 singles. Compared to their constant dirge, house music was somewhat refreshing IMO.

7 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I'd argue that Stock Aitken & Waterman had a much greater negative impact on British music. I remember at one point, they were responsible for 12 of the top 20 singles. Compared to their constant dirge, house music was somewhat refreshing IMO.

I wouldn't argue with that. House music was the kick up the arse that a, by then, stagnant music scene needed. And without house music there would have been no Stones Roses , no Happy Mondays etc. 

the 80s were absolute quality, so much diversity and variety. It was inventive whilst structured and creative.

More than anything though, there seemed to be an innocence to the music. It was before gangster rap and obscenities which in my opinion and ruined popular music culture.

Just dipping in here, where l don't think Talk Talk are getting enough mention, and XTC too are worthy of a name call (although they perhaps were late 70's). In fact there are so many "80's" groups not mentioned so far who for a time gloriously caught the moment. ABC and Heaven 17 being good examples. Nothing wrong with the early 80's IMO but it did fizzle out as the decade went on. Perhaps though that feeling just came from getting married.

7 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Just dipping in here, where l don't think Talk Talk are getting enough mention, and XTC too are worthy of a name call (although they perhaps were late 70's). In fact there are so many "80's" groups not mentioned so far who for a time gloriously caught the moment. ABC and Heaven 17 being good examples. Nothing wrong with the early 80's IMO but it did fizzle out as the decade went on. Perhaps though that feeling just came from getting married.

Ahhhhhh.... How did I forget Talk Talk. Famously sued by their own record label for " willfull negligence" for an album that went on to become a benchmark for just about anything electronica since the dawn of the 90s. Amazingly talented man Mark Hollis. 

My absolute favourite of about a top 1000.

And on a continuing scale of personal disclosure which I may regret, yes, John Taylor was the reason I picked up the bass guitar and yes, I had the dyed blonde fringey bit

On another note, when it's been music and beers etc at my place I always bide my time before gently asking for their rendition of Rio on the bass.

For those with a bent for the bass here's the best on the net imo, and there's quite a few to choose from. One with the least views too. She's got the ghosting (for the pedantic, I know there are issues but there's no denying that flow)..

Closely followed by:

And...

There's a guy who plays a six string too who does a great job but I want to hear it off a four, or a five string at least.

Archived