Missing pieces?

Sparkle

Fairly straightforward in my opinion,

centre forward who can control the football, pass the football and score goals - probably Martin

defensive midfielder fit and available to allow Johnson to move to a more forward role - probably Thorne at some point

full backs or wide players who get to the bye line and cross the ball between the six yard box and penalty spot - I can only think of the injured Forsyth who did that properly

somebody who can actually take a set piece and get it to our players in the box - actually Joey Barton may be available soon and I don't like him but needs must.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now we have McLaren, do we have someone to sort out Transfers, or does he do them?

when he was here the first time we had a 'director of football' or some such, who sorted all the transfers. 

For the record I agree with the original post - if we had our first choice 4-3-3 for the last 3 seasons playing week in week out I think we'd be fine now.

we miss Thorne and Martin and similar replacements for them when they're injured etc.

I'm growing evermore impatient with Ince. I'd sell him for 2mil and be done with it.

feels like we need a 'eustace type' player in ASAP to boss the middle, and boss the changing room and kick some ass!!

1 hour ago, mozza said:

if 7 moaned about NP , how many for JB ? This squad seems to like books about coconut chocolate bars..

Barton would be a perfect signing. But you are right. Not a chance the click would allow it. They are doing just fine and dandy as they are. 

We need a new spine to the team. That is the fundamental reason for our weakness and why we are conceding late in games. We have too many players who can only play when we are dominating games and offer very little when things are against us.

The current spine is either weak or non existent. Keogh tries but makes too many mistakes and creates nervousness in those around him - let's bring in Rawson to see if he has what it takes alongside Pearce. Hughes, Bryson and Butterfield are too easily bullied out of games hence we always need a midfield 3 and Johnson is not the answer in Thornes absence. Upfront moving out Martin was the right thing to do as we have seen the best of him now and he is neither strong enough or mobile enough to enable us to move forward. Unfortunately this leaves us with a number of talented but lightweight players upfront who aren't physically capable of delivering what we need to impose ourselves on the opposition.

i genuinely think a 4-2-3-1 is the best way for us to move forward with 2 strong holding players in front of the back four with 3 more talented flair players interchanging ahead of them behind a strong hardworking mobile number 9. Unfortunately this will mean moving out players to give us the capital to reinvest in this rebuild and the only ones who will raise decent money are the ones we would ideally prefer not to sell. Like it or not January will probably see Hughes move on & I'd like to see Johnson, Keogh, Blackman, Shackell, Butterfield, Russell & Bryson go too but we'd only get rid of 2-3 of them at best & not for the sort of crazy money people on here think some of them are worth.

If Hughes goes for £12-15m we might get another £5-7m from the others giving us c£20m to reinvest. This needs to go on 2 more strong holding midfielders to join Thorne for the 2 holding roles & a significant chunk on a physical, mobile imposing striker to lead the line, ideally with a another similar younger type player on loan to back him up until Zanzala is fit to take on that role.

This would then leave us with us with a line up something like the following which would form the basis on which for us to build longer term.

Carson

Christie - Rawson - Pearce - Lowe

Thorne - New Midfielder

Ince - Vydra - Anya

New Striker

3 minutes ago, Cool As Custard said:

We need a new spine to the team. That is the fundamental reason for our weakness and why we are conceding late in games. We have too many players who can only play when we are dominating games and offer very little when things are against us.

The current spine is either weak or non existent. Keogh tries but makes too many mistakes and creates nervousness in those around him - let's bring in Rawson to see if he has what it takes alongside Pearce. Hughes, Bryson and Butterfield are too easily bullied out of games hence we always need a midfield 3 and Johnson is not the answer in Thornes absence. Upfront moving out Martin was the right thing to do as we have seen the best of him now and he is neither strong enough or mobile enough to enable us to move forward. Unfortunately this leaves us with a number of talented but lightweight players upfront who aren't physically capable of delivering what we need to impose ourselves on the opposition.

i genuinely think a 4-2-3-1 is the best way for us to move forward with 2 strong holding players in front of the back four with 3 more talented flair players interchanging ahead of them behind a strong hardworking mobile number 9. Unfortunately this will mean moving out players to give us the capital to reinvest in this rebuild and the only ones who will raise decent money are the ones we would ideally prefer not to sell. Like it or not January will probably see Hughes move on & I'd like to see Johnson, Keogh, Blackman, Shackell, Butterfield, Russell & Bryson go too but we'd only get rid of 2-3 of them at best & not for the sort of crazy money people on here think some of them are worth.

If Hughes goes for £12-15m we might get another £5-7m from the others giving us c£20m to reinvest. This needs to go on 2 more strong holding midfielders to join Thorne for the 2 holding roles & a significant chunk on a physical, mobile imposing striker to lead the line, ideally with a another similar younger type player on loan to back him up until Zanzala is fit to take on that role.

This would then leave us with us with a line up something like the following which would form the basis on which for us to build longer term.

Carson

Thorne - New Midfielder

Ince - Vydra - Anya

New Striker

I am not sure getting rid of keogh because he makes too many mistakes and keeping christie adds up for me. However both of them are part of a defence that is pretty good and doesnt concede many goals, our problems are further up the field.

Talking about 'spine' and including ince in the team doesnt correlate with me, the guy needs to grow one, at this moment in time i'd pick a johnny russell over ince any day.

Hughes is quality...probably lacking confidence like every other player we have right now, we need george back (or a george type player, Bj has done ok but its not really his role).

5 minutes ago, Cool As Custard said:

Carson

Thorne - New Midfielder

Ince - Vydra - Anya

New Striker

And a new right back please ! Wasn't  his worst performance yesterday but a new right back has to be top of the agenda ! 

9 minutes ago, Cool As Custard said:

Carson

Thorne - New Midfielder

Ince - Vydra - Anya

New Striker

I get what you're saying but I don't agree with letting Hughes Bryson or even Johnson go but this is a very good thoughtful post from someone who's clearly watching the games. How about moving Keogh to right back instead of Christie ? Then he can maraud down the right and still be a part of this stingy defence.

As much as I would love to see him fit and raring to go. I think history tells us Thorne won't be fit for long enough to build this team around, so you may need 2 new holders instead of 1. I think you are spot on about being able to shift players out, it simply won't happen. No team will pay good money or good wages to the likes of Bent, so he will stay put on his large wages. This rebuild will need to be a very slow one 2-3 years would be a fair guess as contracts naturally come to an end thus freeing more money up to buy or develop new players. In the interim we need to make the best use of what we have and find a system to get the most out of them. I personally can't believe Wiemann isn't starting not as a 1 forward because he couldn't do that nor can Vydra. But one behind the other would work in my opinion. It's too late now but Steve Bruce would have been my ideal choice as manager. He is the best manager at this level by far 4 different teams all promoted at first time of asking. Ok not glamorous football and a face like a gargoyle, but would have got the job done given time. 

3 hours ago, Cool As Custard said:

Carson

Thorne - New Midfielder

Ince - Vydra - Anya

New Striker

Agree with some of this not with other bits. But it's a good post and 4231 is definitely the way we should go imo

I really don't think anyone is going to offer that sort of money for Hughes at the moment.

we need a new right back for my sanity, Christie is so frustrating to watch.

id keep Johnson to play in the holding 2, but also bring another one in, so there's cover in case Thorne struggles to get fit.

I don't think the formation is the important bit, the formation relates to playing our best players in their best positions.  There's not a big difference in most champ teams getting the best out your stars is the key.  Just at the moment I'm struggling to identify the stars.  At the beginning of the season I would have put Hughes, Martin, maybe Bryson and bj as game changing players, build the team around their style of play and you have a plan A.  Making them play in a different way and their worth is nullified, pretty much what happened.  Now though I'm lost

Archived