Anya

G STAR RAM

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Right back instead of Christie could be an option, as Christie is having a terrible season so far for me.

Could be an option. 

Would not like to see Christie bombed out yet. Let's not forget he started last season awfully too, on the back of Clement trying to offload him, but was one of the better performers in the second half of the season.

Christie is underrated Imo . He can't bomb forward as much when Ince is in front of him . Ince was once again 95% passenger yesterday ... his positional sense is awful (whichever position he plays ) I am finding it increasingly difficult to understand  why he is selected . Christie operates well with Russell on the right and with the increase in confidence after the win this would be a good option for Tuesday... 

I saw an interview with Christie where he was talking about Ireland - he'd gone with the Republic squad when he was feeling quite down (at the time when Clement was trying to get rid of him) - O'Neill twigged something was wrong and put an arm round him and told him what a great player he was - that effectively turned his season around. I suspect he's just one of those players that needs a manager to have confidence in him - and I'm sure Mac will suss that out pretty quickly.

Looking at the change in attitude yesterday, I get the feeling we perhaps have a lot of that sort of player - perhaps being constantly 'disciplined' by 'Sargent' Pearson was part of the issue earlier in the season 

22 minutes ago, bucktwo said:

Christie is underrated Imo . He can't bomb forward as much when Ince is in front of him . Ince was once again 95% passenger yesterday ... his positional sense is awful (whichever position he plays ) I am finding it increasingly difficult to understand  why he is selected . Christie operates well with Russell on the right and with the increase in confidence after the win this would be a good option for Tuesday... 

Well that's nonsense, Ince does more than his fair share of tracking back and defending. 

Ince suffered because Christie offers nothing in terms of support to him and/or an ability to quickly move the ball under control. Hence why he looked much better in front of Lowe

I agree there's something lacking in communication skills between Ince and Christie. We all complain that Christie doesn't release the ball quickly enough but Ince has a tendency to hide behind the defender meaning Cyrus either has to drive on himself or pass backwards.

I prefer Ince on the left but if he remains on the right this is a simple issue for McClaren to sort out that would really improve both Christie and Ince's play. 

I understand why McClaren spends part of the match in the stand as he will have a much better view of these part pitch dynamics from there. 

Jury is out on anya. Four million seems a lot of money for him. Russell came on and scored after about 10 minutes. They are different types of players but an in form russell would be in the side I think. 

I really like him, he's an absolute pest to the opposition so no wonder they crock him. He appears to me to be an honest kind of footballer and I'll bet he's great to have as a team mate. I was upset he had to go off but obviously JR turning up and scoring was a bonus. When he first runs on you never know which JR you're going to get. 

36 minutes ago, LeedsRam1999 said:

Back on the topic of Anya, I still don't think we've seen all of him yet. He will be useful like Camara is to stretch games and counter attack with pace and also worry the full backs so I wouldn't get on his back yet! 

It's the Derby Way.

Looks good to me.

People going on about him costing £4m but being no better than Russell... why would he be when we were saying Johnny should be worth about £4m? 

Comparable transfer fees don't always equate to comparable quality but I'm afraid that a lot of us are still stuck in the days that £4m bought you absolute world beaters, when what it gets you nowadays is good championship level players, which is what Anya is and what Johnny is. 

Similar points could be made about Vydra and Johnson. Guess it what comes with being relatively frugal over the years. Not saying I like it, but the fact is we have to stop banging on about the transfer fee as if we are entitled to be seeing Messi like performances. Anya was market value and we've got a decent looking player.

Anya has obvious pace in abundance, which when McClaren gets us firing anything like we used to will be vital, simply because it's likely 2 players will also come on as sub for 10-30 minutes, depending on the score.

Whether he is better than Russell won't matter, both should get game time now and Anya also could act as defensive cover without necessarily having too many full backs on the bench if in some sort of injury crisis.

He's still bedding into an unsettled side, needing to get used to his teammates, so possibly more improvement to come yet.

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Just wondered what peoples opinions on Anya are so far and what they think his best position is?

I think he works hard, shows good pace, gets in good positions but is very wasteful.

I wonder if he would be better as a wing back?

If we get injuries at wing back he could easily find himself there especially if other wide players find form

3 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Well that's nonsense, Ince does more than his fair share of tracking back and defending. 

Ince suffered because Christie offers nothing in terms of support to him and/or an ability to quickly move the ball under control. Hence why he looked much better in front of Lowe

Ince does does track back but basically never gets near the ball, but it was nice to see both him and anya left up on the half way line when Leeds had a corner

Ince tracks back once danger has presented itself, he reacts to it, but he's not particularly pro-active in spotting it. His workrate isn't a problem, his awareness can be.

I said yesterday "we might get somewhere if our right hand side wasn't Christie and Ince" and others in here have said similar after yesterday - they just don't work together, and tbh I'm really sure who either does work with.

Anya is the new Dawkins. Lovely guy, intelligent player, always looks for a teammate, passes and moves and provides a link up between midfield and attack (compare and contrast team creativity down our left and right sides yesterday). 

McClaren will be delighted that he's here, but fans will get increasingly annoyed every time he opts to pass it rather than run with it.  Endless debates will ensue.

Archived