Anya

G STAR RAM

3 minutes ago, nfb said:

The Watford fans said as much, he offers pace, determination, cover, energy etc, but ultimately not much 'end product', and will eventually drive us nuts cos of it... so why are we surprised ?

Because, let's be honest, asking fans of a team that a player is leaving is probably unlikely to get a fair review of a player.

Chris Martin as an example, I bet there were some Fulham fans expecting him to go there and score 20 goals based on reviews from our fans.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Am I the only one who doesn't see anything in Anya? He just runs to the byline before mostly putting in a poor delivery. It's not like he comes inside, plays intricate passing and connects play.

Dawkins far more effective in our system.

Then again I'm not surprised. We brought Anya in to feature in a 442 system. 

He's like Zaha right now.

Wow what a first touch

awww what a lovely bit of skill

wonderful nutmeg

did you see that Cruyff turn

24 stepovers at that speed!! 

Look at him go!! 

(The someone asks the question of "but he didn't actually do anything that a well trained dog couldn't do did he?")

But he barely found his feet in the Pearson team never mind Powell or Mac. Maybe he'll become more varied. 

I've never been excited by running. So players like this I'm always miserable and negative about. Like Ward and Russell too. 

After all the stepovers , sprint races, backflips and juggling I always look at what they do. When 9 times out of 10 it's win a throw in I soon get bored where some are still excited by all a bloke running fast. 

I like how he's not caught flat footed and doesn't hide like some do though. Always available, always sharp. That's an upgrade to me. Russell gets caught flat footed a lot and Ince can hide.

It's hard isn't it? Anya comes across to me as a very unselfish player, opting to pass the ball rather than make a dribble along the wing or into the box. If he was to play a wing-back role how would he fair defensively? I honestly haven't seen him doing much defensive work since we signed him. But again he seems to have a lack of quality in the final third. Has anyone mentioned playing him in a midfield type role? He links up with our midfield players quite well and if he picks up the ball in the centre of the field, possibly after an opposition attack, he can use his pace to bring the ball into the opposition half, and by that point many of our players would have made space for themselves, creating opportunities to score. If he plays this way fans might not give him so much stick for not having ability in the final third, because he won't have to go into the final third. Crazy idea, I know, and reading this over I feel like an idiot, but just have a thought what would happen if Mac implemented this into a game. 

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

He's like Zaha right now.

Wow what a first touch

awww what a lovely bit of skill

wonderful nutmeg

did you see that Cruyff turn

24 stepovers at that speed!! 

Look at him go!! 

(The someone asks the question of "but he didn't actually do anything that a well trained dog couldn't do did he?")

But he barely found his feet in the Pearson team never mind Powell or Mac. Maybe he'll become more varied. 

I've never been excited by running. So players like this I'm always miserable and negative about. Like Ward and Russell too. 

After all the stepovers , sprint races, backflips and juggling I always look at what they do. When 9 times out of 10 it's win a throw in I soon get bored where some are still excited by all a bloke running fast. 

I like how he's not caught flat footed and doesn't hide like some do though. Always available, always sharp. That's an upgrade to me. Russell gets caught flat footed a lot and Ince can hide.

I haven't been overly impressed by much,decent honest but little end product which ultimately the likes of your ward's Russell and Ince would play a lot more as for all their frustrations they score goals and create plenty as their records suggest, playing 433 with our returning manager they will all get a lot of game time

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

I haven't been overly impressed by much,decent honest but little end product which ultimately the likes of your ward's Russell and Ince would play a lot more as for all their frustrations they score goals and create plenty as their records suggest, playing 433 with our returning manager they will all get a lot of game time

Yeah, I forgot that Mac likes to keep his wingers fresh and they often don't play full games

5 hours ago, nfb said:

The Watford fans said as much, he offers pace, determination, cover, energy etc, but ultimately not much 'end product', and will eventually drive us nuts cos of it... so why are we surprised ?

Yeah that pretty much sums what I think about and in this case the Watford fans seem right. He just doesn't seem threatening to me whatsoever

Think it was best exemplified yesterday when good work in midfield managed to find Anya 1-1 with the fullback and in acres of space. He just kinda ran at the fullback and hit against him to get a corner, a complete waste of a dangerous position. Those sort of positions are where your wide players need to have a telling contribution, if that was a 13/14 Ward in that position it would have resulted in a goal.

It's nice to have a different option. Both Russell and Anya are both very pacey, but have very different approaches to attacking...

Russell is very direct, gets his head up quickly and will charge forward if possible. For this reason, he gets a fair number of goals and assists each season, inconsistency with his end product is often his critical weakness.

Anya seems to be the type of player to get his head up, but to look for a pass rather than run. This can slow down the play  at times but his positional sense also seems to be excellent, he's always popping up in dangerous areas.

With them being different, we've got 2 options for what the situation requires. Anya will retain the ball better so could be brought on if we're trying to see a game out, or if we're chasing a goal to equalise/win the game, Russell's drive and determination might provide the impetus to do just that.

Options in any position are never a bad thing to have

Archived