George Thorne Watch

Curtains

1 hour ago, toddy said:

So important to us, I do believe with him in the side we might not be sitting 20th right now.

So badly missed.

Too be honest he probably wouldn't have made a deal of difference being sat on the bench because 'he isn't quick enough'.

Joking aside (although I do think it wouldn't have been far from the truth), Thorne may have just had the passing range, vision and defensive nous to make Pearson's somewhat flawed system more effective.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Agree, we would be at least 19th as Pearson decides to play him on the wing.

Seriously I agree, gives confidence to both the attacking midfielders and the defence. When people say he didn't play well last season, I really wish you could just have a George cam and watch him throughout a game, he is superb and because of the role it often goes unnoticed.

He was hindered offensively by the fact teams started man marking him and there was little movement ahead of him. 

Of Championship midfielders with 23 or more appearances; only three win the ball (tackles and interceptions) more every 90 minutes than Thorne. Only two block more shots every 90 minutes and only three make more clearances per 90. 

No other Championship midfielder makes more passes per game than Thorne. Only three championship midfielders make more accurate long passes than Thorne, though all three have a substantially lower long pass accuracy. Only one player actually has a higher long pass accuracy than Thorne. 

If it wasn't for the Ipswich game he would have had the highest rating on WhoScored out of every other centre-mid in the division to feature over 23 times. A peak Thorne with freedom to run the show and movement ahead of him is, in my opinion, England quality.

5 hours ago, Anon said:

We know he's had injury issues, but let's not pretend the latest one is anything to do with his previous problems or being susceptible to injury in general. It was an absolutely shocking challenge that would've snapped anyone unfortunate enough to be in the crosshairs.

And the ref waved play-on.

Sith Happens
8 minutes ago, eddie said:

And the ref waved play-on.

Should have been a penalty too. Not that I or any of us would have been up for it. I just felt sick and wanted the game over. 

34 minutes ago, cannable said:

He was hindered offensively by the fact teams started man marking him and there was little movement ahead of him. 

Of Championship midfielders with 23 or more appearances; only three win the ball (tackles and interceptions) more every 90 minutes than Thorne. Only two block more shots every 90 minutes and only three make more clearances per 90. 

No other Championship midfielder makes more passes per game than Thorne. Only three championship midfielders make more accurate long passes than Thorne, though all three have a substantially lower long pass accuracy. Only one player actually has a higher long pass accuracy than Thorne. 

If it wasn't for the Ipswich game he would have had the highest rating on WhoScored out of every other centre-mid in the division to feature over 23 times. A peak Thorne with freedom to run the show and movement ahead of him is, in my opinion, England quality.

I agree, although after his last injury there was a marked tendency to try too hard too soon. He made a fair few errors but because he is so B good he fought and usually got the ball back.

Also When he came back last time he wasn't at full power. There was something missing in his first half yard. We rushed it although I accept that had nothing to do with the subsequent injury.

please let's have him back but let's bed him in sensibly and use Jamie Hansons enthusiasm and power to blunt the oposition for the first 60 minutes ... Where is young Jamie anyway ????

Sith Happens
12 minutes ago, Gypsy Ram said:

A 433 with a midfield three of Hughes, Hendrick and Thorne is our best... wait a minute, Thorne will never be fit, Hendrick is gone and Hughes is off this January window or close season. Oh happy days. 

Opinions of course, I still believe our best 3 is George, Hughes and Bryson.

3 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Thorne 

Hughes Johnson/Butterfield 

that 3 would be quality together IMO. 

To me Johnson isn't good enough on the ball to play as one of the two advanced players, particularly not on a regular basis. For me Johnson should be seen as backup and predominantly back-up to Thorne. 

For me, ideally the midfield would be Thorne, Hughes and Butterfield with Bryson as first back-up for Hughes and Butterfield, usually replacing one of them after 60-70mins to harry a tiring opposition.

As you can probably tell by my profile picture I'm a massive Thorne fan, and I don't think it can be emphasised enough how much we're missing him as a team. TBH I'd like to see our win rate vita Thorne vs without as I suspect it's quite massively better with him in the team. It's not just his vision but also his leadership that he brings to the team, he inspires confidence and I really hope whoever the new manager is makes him the captain. Not bringing in backup to him over the last few transfer windows has been a huge part of our downfall, once he's back he should provide a shield to our back four and allow the rest of our team to push on, which should hopefully result in an upturn in form

3 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Agree, we would be at least 19th as Pearson decides to play him on the wing.

Seriously I agree, gives confidence to both the attacking midfielders and the defence. When people say he didn't play well last season, I really wish you could just have a George cam and watch him throughout a game, he is superb and because of the role it often goes unnoticed.

100% agree so much he does is stuff that doesn't get noticed. He's got a great 'engine' and his positional sense is brilliant. Great tackler too. I think a lot only think he's had a good game if he plays a number of defence splitting passes etc.

It is weird to think that if he wasn't 'injury prone' he'd probably never ended up at Derby and would be a Premier League and England regular now.

The midfield of Hughes, Thorne and Hendrick, that took Brighton apart in the SF of the PO could have been the future for 10 years if we had beaten QPR at Wembley.  It was that good.

Archived