The Wardrobe Watch

unclej

43 minutes ago, toddy said:

TBF, I cannot actually see Fulham buying him unless his season vastly improves, as they would have to also offer him more than £30000 a week  and why would they?

Just to clarify, where does the £30,000 a week come from? If we go back to 'alleged' for a moment, as I remember that's what his agent asked Fulham to stump up for him to sign there? That doesn't mean he's on that at Derby, as it can be conceived he did that knowing they won't/can't afford to pay it therefore making the point he didn't want to be there. You can interpret that story two ways.

You might be right in saying Fulham won't stump up that money, but it's not because they definently need to out do his new wages. It can be interpreted that Martin killed any deal dead with a ridiculous demand.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

No not really fishing mate, I have stayed off this thread pretty much since it began. I have been consistent in my thoughts on this, let's get the play off team back and everything will be okay perception..

I answered another post before I saw your 'masterpiece ' but that pretty much sums up my views.

The club seem obsessed now with being a team that in essence failed.. Yes he scored goals, no disputing that but a decline was there. Positives and negatives with Martin, more negatives for me and some others.

Successfull organisations look forward, not back.

Will he come back, can he come back, contract details.. I have no idea.

Would I have him back? No.. Time to move on,

I think that's more what the fans see/want out of this situation rather than what the coaching staff want out of the situation. Your irritation seems to be more directed to an attitude amongst the fans.

Rowett used a hold up striker at Birmingham -> he wants a hold up striker here -> Chris Martin is one of the best hold up strikers in the league -> he's a Derby County player -> we can get one of the best hold up strikers in the league for free

I really do think it's over weird to talk about moving on and past failures etc etc as if Martin is the heart of what's failed. He's definitely not, he was one of the most positive aspects of the team in the three years he played here.

Two things that people seem to preach is stability and moving on, which sort of contradict each other but there is a balance to them. The obvious idea is to not chop and change managers two or three times a season, particularly when they have completely different styles, but also not sell your best players; we've reaped the rewards of not selling Hughes. 

Martin is one of our best players, while we should be moving on and adapting, the stability of our club should be holding onto the core of our playing staff; Keogh, Hughes, Carson, Ince, Thorne (?) and Martin. The players who definitely have the ambition to play in the PL with Derby.

Bringing him back is where we should be stable, we should be moving on in other areas where we've failed, like our scouting and recruitment. How have we not improved on Johnny Russell in 4 years and about 8 transfer windows when we've spent 60 million?

I also don't see the risk in bringing him back and it 'not working out'. It's not like we're trying to bring Paulo Wanchope out of retirement, when Martin (never really) left a few months ago, he was a top championship striker and he will return still a top championship striker with his family and personal life in the area already settled.

Just because he's played for us before doesn't mean it's 'not moving on', playing Martin in Rowett's team isn't the same as playing him in McClaren's team. We're not trying the same thing again. I think it's almost an irrational fear of going back. 'Mist times when you go back it doesn't work out', well most new players that get brough into clubs don't work out. It's always a risk.

The plan under Rowett seems very different to the plan under McClaren, there's a whole load of change happening at the club and with the playing staff, but to get rid of Martin would be throwing out the baby with the bath water.

12 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

I really do think it's over weird to talk about moving on and past failures etc etc as if Martin is the heart of what's failed. He's definitely not, he was one of the most positive aspects of the team in the three years he played here.

Two things that people seem to preach is stability and moving on, which sort of contradict each other but there is a balance to them.

Just because he's played for us before doesn't mean it's 'not moving on', playing Martin in Rowett's team isn't the same as playing him in McClaren's team. We're not trying the same thing again. I think it's almost an irrational fear of going back. 'Most times when you go back it doesn't work out', well most new players that get brough into clubs don't work out. It's always a risk.

The plan under Rowett seems very different to the plan under McClaren, there's a whole load of change happening at the club and with the playing staff, but to get rid of Martin would be throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Yep.

At the end of the season the following will happen:

1. Fulham will decide if they want to offer Chris Martin a contact.
  2. If they do offer a contract to Chris Martin he has to decide whether to accept or reject said offer.
  3. If he accepts said offer Fulham have to pay the already agreed transfer fee to Derby.
  4. If he rejects their offer he no longer stays at Fulham and returns to Derby.
  5. Depending on Chris Martins decision he either plays for Derby or Fulham next season.

8 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

At the end of the season the following will happen:

1. Fulham will decide if they want to offer Chris Martin a contact.
  2. If they do offer a contract to Chris Martin he has to decide whether to accept or reject said offer.
  3. If he accepts said offer Fulham have to pay the already agreed transfer fee to Derby.
  4. If he rejects their offer he no longer stays at Fulham and returns to Derby.
  5. Depending on Chris Martins decision he either plays for Derby or Fulham next season.

Said that about 20 pages ago

4 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Said that about 20 pages ago

And seeing as he signed a three year contract with derby and his family are still living in derby rather than moving down to Fulham at all this year,im not sure what else he has to do to signal his intentions any clearer.....Or indeed gr's in his recent interview.

Or is this still not enough for the flat earth society?

6 hours ago, Andicis said:

Point is this isn't true, at all. How many times do you have to be told it is CHRIS MARTIN'S decision. Not Derby's, not Fulham's, not Tony Khan's. 

You're wrong. Fulham take up the option to buy. He's their player - to rot in their reserves, if he refuses to play. He won't even refuse to play especially if they are in the premier league or he's given a contract matching ours. Fulham give us the the remaining money come season end, he's theirs full stop. And they've shown us they'll play hardball if they have to. 

you need to pay attention.

1 minute ago, Ninos said:

You're wrong. Fulham take up the option to buy. He's their player - to rot in their reserves, if he refuses to play. He won't even refuse to play especially if they are in the premier league or he's given a contract matching ours. Fulham give us the the remaining money come season end, he's theirs full stop. And they've shown us they'll play hardball if they have to. 

HE HAS TO SIGN A CONTRACT. If Martin doesn't want to play he DOESN'T HAVE TO SIGN. Otherwise it's SLAVE LABOUR. Get with the times. You need to pay attention. Wum.

2 minutes ago, Ninos said:

You really are wrong, 100%

3 minutes ago, Ninos said:

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

HE HAS TO SIGN A CONTRACT. If Martin doesn't want to play he DOESN'T HAVE TO SIGN. Otherwise it's SLAVE LABOUR. Get with the times. You need to pay attention. Wum.

He's right Ninos... Martin has to agree to join Fulham on a permanent basis, Even if Fulham stump up the agreed figure to buy him.

5 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Winkle, you need to read what you wrote there.. You never fail..

When did I say that was his attacking contribution? I was answering a previous poster who was rightly discussing his defensive contribution. I pointed out that his gaining of free kicks was part of allowing the defense time, nothing to do with his attacking contribution. 

How is Ince his replacement? 

I am guessing you get all excited and reading goes out the door. Stop, read it, read it again.. Then go for a coffee.

The problem with you @Angry Ram is that unlike many others who seem to think Martin is this leagues Diego costa or zlatan, you go to all the games and watch him play. So who you going to believe on Martins performances, paper names on a forum, or your own eyes? 

Have not made many comments since registering with the forum recently, but have watched this thread build over the last couple of days and I cannot believe how overly complicated people have made (with several exceptions) a very simple issue.

1. Chris Martin IS a Derby player, he is only temporarily loaned to Fulham.

2. It was reported that the original loan deal included an option to buy.  Therefore at the end of the season, IF Fulham so wish, they have a specific amount (thought to be £6 million) that activates that option. THE FIRST DECISION IS FULHAM'S!  If they want Chris Martin they stump up the cash, if they don't he returns.

3.  Having met the £6million to activate the option to buy they must offer Chris Martin a contract to sign for Fulham.  THE SECOND DECISION IS CHRIS MARTIN'S! If he accepts the contract he leaves, if he turns it down he goes.

The situation is very simple, Fulham make a choice about wanting CM, he then decides whether he wants to go, nothing more to it than that.  Essentially only 2 of the 3 parties have a real say in what happens, Derby have to wait and see 1st what Fulham decide and 2nd what CM decides.

The only debate is then what will the 2 parties actually do?

1. Will Fulham want Chris Martin?  This is perhaps hardest to decide, is he a striker worth £6 million for next season? Based on what other Championship goalscorers have gone for I would say yes.  Therefore he would seem a good deal to Fulham if they stay in the Championship.  However there are 2 main issues. The first is if Fulham got promoted, would they still want CM? Maybe not, they might then have resources to aim for better targets with more premier league experience etc.  Secondly they may decide to 'move-on' from CM as he has made it fairly clear this season where he would rather play.  Why pay £6million for a guy who definitely doesn't want to be there?

2. Will CM sign for Fulham? All signs point to no.  He has signed a new contract with Derby, said publically about wanting to come back for his family and the new manager has echoed that this week.  Consequently it seems unlikely that Fulham will be able to sign CM in the summer.  The only possible situations would be Fulham offering him a better contract than the one he has at Derby or they get promoted and CM decides a chance at the Premier League is worth the move.

The conspiracy that Fulham will activate the option to buy, give CM a big contract and then try to sell him in the same window seems ridiculous and a pointless gamble on their part.

I would say on the balance of probability that CM will be at Derby for next season, after that it will then depend on whether GR gets the best out of him or whether he decides CM is not what he wants/needs.

4 minutes ago, DCFCTom84 said:

The conspiracy that Fulham will activate the option to buy, give CM a big contract and then try to sell him in the same window seems ridiculous and a pointless gamble on their part.

Also if Fulham beat the contract he's just signed with us then whoever signs him would have to beat THAT contract to sign him...

Jeez it's like banging your head against a brick wall !!!!!!!

fulham have loaned Martin with an option to buy at a fixed agreed price which must be honoured by Derby BUT that only happens if a Fulham meet that price and offer Chris Martin a contract that he accepts and signs ,, if Fulham  don't want to pay that price Martin remains a Derby player ,, if Fulham agree to pay that price but Martin deosnt want to sign for them for ANY reason whatsoever he remains a Derby player , it really is that simple , rowett has done the only sensible thing he can in these circumstances , he has made it clear that he feels Martin is a good striker at this level and is very happy to have him in his squad ( no garunteed first team slot?) he starts with a clean sheet and a chance to fit into gr vision for Derby , barring something totally unexpected from left field Martin will be at Derby next season and looking at the squad it's a sensible course for all 

Meet the fee he's theirs.  Those who think it's as simple as Martin refusing to sign for Fulham - even that he doesn't want to be there, which I don't believe - are deluded. Martin is for Martin - he will play in the higher league if he can or for a manager that plays him regularly in his preferred system in this one. Fulham Derby Wolves Boro whoever. Why not sign the Derby contract if he is considering staying? Because it puts him in a far stronger position with fulhams impending contract offer - cause he can go on strike if they dont match it! He will be either a Fulham player or they'll move him on. 

29 minutes ago, Ninos said:

The problem with you @Angry Ram is that unlike many others who seem to think Martin is this leagues Diego costa or zlatan, you go to all the games and watch him play. So who you going to believe on Martins performances, paper names on a forum, or your own eyes? 

Bloody hell :lol:

39 minutes ago, Ninos said:

LOL. None of us think Martin is in this league Diego Costa or Zlatan types. Get real lol. :lol:

21 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Meet the fee he's theirs.  Those who think it's as simple as Martin refusing to sign for Fulham - even that he doesn't want to be there, which I don't believe - are deluded. Martin is for Martin - he will play in the higher league if he can or for a manager that plays him regularly in his preferred system in this one. Fulham Derby Wolves Boro whoever. Why not sign the Derby contract if he is considering staying? Because it puts him in a far stronger position with fulhams impending contract offer - cause he can go on strike if they dont match it! He will be either a Fulham player or they'll move him on. 

Complete load of crap.

Archived