The Wardrobe Watch

unclej

3 minutes ago, rynny said:

Tbf @toddy and @Ninos are partly correct, but are also partly wrong. Fulham do have a say in his future but not 100%, if Martin was to want to stay at Fulham they can say no thanks but it is the same the other way round, Fulham could say we want you to sign to Martin and he could say no thanks. So really the decision is split between the 2 of them. We have no say on his future unless Fulham decline to take the option of signing him permanently or Martin declines their offer to sign permanently, at which point he becomes our player again.

Aye, that is true. I think it will boil down to ultimately, what Martin wants. If Martin opts to stay at Fulham I think they would sign him permanently. If Martin wants to come back to Derby, he will. Allegedly Fulham didn't want to pay the 30,000 Derby gave Martin on the contract, so therefore if they're not willing to pay the 30,000 Martin is allegedly getting at Derby, financially it'd make sense for Martin to pick Derby.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cant wait for the end of May when we will know one way or another if hes coming home. Its getting a little tedious now its not as if hes Alexis Sanchez or something.

Chris Martin made a huge gesture of commitment to Derby by signing a new contract with us - while at Fulham. There's not really much else he can do to reassure us?!

His future is with us, that's what he wants and that's what will happen.

3 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Martin did not really 'hold the ball up', so much, yes of course at times. He likes to flick it into runners behind him.. What he did do exceptionally well was win free kicks by whatever means which resulted in what you describe above.

So in essence, I agree with what you say but Martin also brings many negative attributes with him. When he's on it, yes no problem but what I have seen over the last couple of seasons is a player who was on it less and less.. The hope that we get the same version as we had 3 years ago is slim.

I am sure our Director of football in Mexico can identify other players who can do a similar thing.

I see your points, the Martin under Clement especially began to look spent. There were reasons for that though that weren't all down to the player, one big reason was that the possession football we were playing was forcing us 10 yards back with sideways passes along the defenders. This meant once the ball was forward then the midfielders were behind where they should be meaning the options became limited. This came in under Mclaren's first reign (I can specifically remember Bryson saying he'd been asked to 'hold off' bombing forward, which seems a crazy decision considering he'd scored 20 goals from midfield the season before), but Clement's reign made it worse as we started slowing down our passing too which isolated Martin even more.

Saying that I wouldn't take all the blame off him, he was disappointing under Clement and some of that lays at his door because he increasingly acted like a frustrated figure rather than trying to change.

From what we have heard from Rowett I do think we may see a return to the 'old Martin'. He wants us to play higher up the pitch and faster and I do think that will benefit not just Martin, but Vydra, Ince, Bryson, Hughes and Russell too. I know nothings set in stone, but I think it's atleast think it's low risk.

I do understand the feeling that you are harping back to a team who ultimately haven't made it, but let's hope if we can keep that core and improve what's around it rather than buying playing who don't gel into a style you won't to play, then we can change that 'failure' tag

31 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Chris Martin made a huge gesture of commitment to Derby by signing a new contract with us - while at Fulham. There's not really much else he can do to reassure us?!

His future is with us, that's what he wants and that's what will happen.

Signing a new contract with Derby just means he's quids in whatever happens.

I think he has a good instinct for a pass and a good shot on him. I think he and Nugent will be competing for one place.

I don't mind if he stays or goes but I hope we make that decision quickly at the end of the season.

If he goes I  wouldn't mind a different type of striker whether big and good in the air or quick and tricky.

4 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

So in essence, I agree with what you say but Martin also brings many negative attributes with him. When he's on it, yes no problem but what I have seen over the last couple of seasons is a player who was on it less and less..

We've had a TEAM that's been on it less and less... Singling out one player for criticism is unfair...

1 hour ago, DRBee said:

You can't just reduce Martin's attacking contribution to winning free kicks  - he does hold the ball , he does spot passes that other are too slow to think of and he delivers an excellent free kick himself ( how many times have we scored direct from a free kick this season? ). His defensive contribution when the opposition take corners is also extremely valuable. Martin's decline mirrored that of our midfield , but he still remained our best scorer . His replacement this season ,Ince, is essentially an individualist and that is where some of our problems lie.

Winkle, you need to read what you wrote there.. You never fail..

When did I say that was his attacking contribution? I was answering a previous poster who was rightly discussing his defensive contribution. I pointed out that his gaining of free kicks was part of allowing the defense time, nothing to do with his attacking contribution. 

How is Ince his replacement? 

I am guessing you get all excited and reading goes out the door. Stop, read it, read it again.. Then go for a coffee.

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I can just see a fall out if Fulham make the play offs and ask for permission for him to play...and derby say.......loan agreement was til the end of the league fixtures, he now reverts to being our player until Fulham transfer him, in June. We know how keen Fulham are on contracts.

now that would be spiteful............

......and hilarious :lol::lol::lol:

37 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I can just see a fall out if Fulham make the play offs and ask for permission for him to play...and derby say.......loan agreement was til the end of the league fixtures, he now reverts to being our player until Fulham transfer him, in June. We know how keen Fulham are on contracts.

Think this was gone over in Jan. EFL regs say end of season includes POs so they don't have to ask.

58 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Season long loan includes the PLAY OFFS.

38 minutes ago, toddy said:

TBF, I cannot actually see Fulham buying him unless his season vastly improves, as they would have to also offer him more than £30000 a week  and why would they?

Harsh to say if his season improves -  he's still their top scorer so far this season, and is more productive in terms of mins/goal.

Instead, it seems clear that he doesn't fit in the manager's plans, whether that be because of what transpired, because SJ wishes to focus on players he wants to be contracted to Fulham, or simply doesn't fit with the system.

Archived