People who never wanted Pearson....

drgoodspeak

When NP was manager I wanted him to succeed. I was a bit concerned how he set us up and thought that to change how we play to how he wants us to play was going to take a couple of transfer windows. We may have even had to have sold some more popular players.

I was happy to go with that.

If he doesn't return then I will want the next manager to succeed too.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought he was as a good a manager as we could attract.

Experienced previous success and probably a point to prove.

Disapointed with team set ups ,performances like everyone else but was he taking us in the right direction by restructuring? Like Clement,Wassall,and Clough we will never know if they could've.

It's alright saying he wasn't here long enough (and I know it's for non-footballing reasons anyway) but if after 12 games there isn't even a hint of an overall system and players still don't have a clue what they're supposed to be doing how much longer can that go on for? 

Clough's team was excellent and you could just see that it was tweaks away. It passed from the back but the diamond made us easy to defend against as we had no width, we couldn't defend set-pieces and didn't regularly play a DM and so teams kept having free runs at our back four. 

Clement's team you could see after two games what we were about and despite not winning in five you could see that results would come eventually. We defended deep and played a slow possession game with the ball. We were just on the receiving end of some bad luck.

Who can honestly say what type of football we were supposed to be watching under Pearson? Defensively we didn't press high nor were we well drilled and soaked up pressure. Offensively we didn't pass it out from the back but nor did we pump it up to a target man. We have the fifth highest possession in the league but I can't remember us controlling one game until last night - teams such as Burton let us have it. We've made the second most crosses in the league but would anybody really say we were a wing play team? 

There was nothing. There was no cohesion. It just looked like eleven lads out there on the pitch not having a single clue about what they were supposed to be doing. After a few games, fine. After twelve? No.

The only way he would have turned that around was if he was given a blank cheque in January and the signings were good and fit into his ideas.

Well I wanted him after my first choice b Rogers wasn't secured , thought it would be a transition and was prepared for that but in all fairness I thought having not bought heavily in the pre season ( player in not price ) I was nt expecting results and performances to plummet as badly as they have ,thinking that Pearson gauged he could get far more from what we had here ,his biggest mistake ,,,,,, am I happy he's gone? Honestly ? I can't even begin to figure out whether I am or not ,I've totally lost all grasp of what's happening to derby county ,, who do I want next as manager ? Again I don't really have a clue now and I'm not even sure it matters as we out them so quickly without any real clue as to whether it's football related or any other thing , got tickets for me and my daughter for reading Saturday my first game this season ( limited to away games in the south east these days) and this is the strangest game I've ever gone to in 50 years of following Derby through countless season tickets and spells where I could on get to a few games a season ,, I'm gonna find it real hard to feel anything positive to this group of players in a way I've never experienced with following Derby ,I think they have let us fans down , managers down and the club down, maybe it's modern football and not just Derby , it just seems such a shabby state of affairs that players get rid of managers so easily these days ( look at Chelsea Jose stuff last season too) and they strut out onto the pitch expecting hero worship or not giving a toss ,, who knows?

I still don't understand why people were happy for transition after finishing 5th in the league. 

I mean, that's like Arsenal repacing Wenger for Simeone and being happy with a top eight finish in his first season as he looks to change the system and playing style of the team.

If we had finished 15th last season, perhaps change and transition was needed. Take Reading for example, they're looking to change from a direct style under McDermott to possession-based play under Stam.

Big difference is Stam has signed about 12 new players for Reading. 

Derby finished fifth last season. A few tweaks and improvement in key areas were needed, not an overhaul.

1 hour ago, Gritters said:

When NP was manager I wanted him to succeed. I was a bit concerned how he set us up and thought that to change how we play to how he wants us to play was going to take a couple of transfer windows. We may have even had to have sold some more popular players.

I was happy to go with that.

If he doesn't return then I will want the next manager to succeed too.

Perfectly put. A little uncontroversial and common sense for here, but I couldn't agree more.

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

I still don't understand why people were happy for transition after finishing 5th in the league. 

I mean, that's like Arsenal repacing Wenger for Simeone and being happy with a top eight finish in his first season as he looks to change the system and playing style of the team.

If we had finished 15th last season, perhaps change and transition was needed. Take Reading for example, they're looking to change from a direct style under McDermott to possession-based play under Stam.

Big difference is Stam has signed about 12 new players for Reading. 

Derby finished fifth last season. A few tweaks and improvement in key areas were needed, not an overhaul.

And that was maybe the problem. Pearson didn't get in enough players who could do what he wanted to do.

I did not want Pearson, I did raise my concern that people were placing too much faith in him based purely on what had happened at Leicester.

HOWEVER once he was in the job I wanted him to succeed. I even went as far as saying firing him this season should not be considered, of course if there are proper reasons for it fine but if things are being used as a smokescreen I would be disappointed in what MM is doing.

1 hour ago, ram1964 said:

Disapointed with team set ups ,performances like everyone else but was he taking us in the right direction by restructuring? Like Clement,Wassall,and Clough we will never know if they could've.

What's the cut of time for "never know if they could've"? Surely that applies to every manager?

Clough had significantly longer than McClaren, and Clement spent significantly more money than him. We'll never know if Paul Jewell could have taken us into the Champions League, but we can make a pretty solid guess based on the performances we saw - same with Pearson, Clement, Wassall and Clough.

4 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Well I was happy with the appointment of NP ,and I tell you now if the players turned it on just because he wasn't the manager then we still have a big problem and NP might be worth sticking with. It will happen again under someone else.

Couldn't agree with you more, had the same conversation before kick off last night. 

It appears to me that the players call the shots in our dressingroom and that is frightening. 

1 hour ago, wixman1884 said:

What's the cut of time for "never know if they could've"? Surely that applies to every manager?

Clough had significantly longer than McClaren, and Clement spent significantly more money than him. We'll never know if Paul Jewell could have taken us into the Champions League, but we can make a pretty solid guess based on the performances we saw - same with Pearson, Clement, Wassall and Clough.

Clough never got the money ,Pc not a full season and Wassall 8 games, Np even less so NO non of these Managers for what ever reason had the oppurtunity to prove themselves if you can judge a manager on 9 games or less you should be running your own football club .

Was very pleased with the appointment, thought it would lead to a clearout of our bottle jobs and some fast paced football, seemed to be a good choice to get us promoted. However for whatever reason he stuck with the team that we a,ready had, which didn't suit his style and ultimately lead to his downfall, along with dreadful slow hoofball tactics and ludicrously stubborn lineups- he just refused to realise when he'd made mistake. Like Einstein said, trying the same thing over and over again is insanity- I think his time here finally proves Pearson is insane, if we didn't know that already...

52 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Couldn't agree with you more, had the same conversation before kick off last night. 

It appears to me that the players call the shots in our dressingroom and that is frightening. 

Sorry got to disagree here...it's not the players conspiring against a manager; it's just the impact or lack of, that manager has on a team. Some managers are just not inspiring. They may demand bags of effort (and get it from players) in a "command & control" kind of way, but other managers (BC & PT are the best examples) simply inspire players to reach heights that other managers fail to do. It's not a conscious thing. For an explanation of this (factor x) I refer you to Martin O'Neil who explains how himself and BC didn't particularly like one another ("Brian Clough made me cry on many occasions...") but "strangely enough, I wanted always to get his approval, and when I knew I had it, I felt 10 feet tall on the pitch...").

It's not that the players have somehow formed a conspiratorial union...it's just how leadership works; and management. So we don't have a player-power problem. We actually have a very good group of players who are working very hard for Derby County...

54 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

What is equally frightening is that, rather than thinking last night was more about using tactics/formation that suits our squad, people assume it shows our players in a bad light.

Not a personal attack on you by the way, just an observation about the obvious lack of trust between fans/players.

I never wanted pearson i thought he was a bad appointment i wanted rodgers and had convinced myself he was comming.

when pearson got here though he started to grow on me thought he'd do well backed him but last saturday was the final straw there have beem no improvements and i cant even see what he is trying to achive 

25 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

What is equally frightening is that, rather than thinking last night was more about using tactics/formation that suits our squad, people assume it shows our players in a bad light.

Not a personal attack on you by the way, just an observation about the obvious lack of trust between fans/players.

No offence taken :thumbsup:

31 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Sorry got to disagree here...it's not the players conspiring against a manager; it's just the impact or lack of, that manager has on a team. Some managers are just not inspiring. They may demand bags of effort (and get it from players) in a "command & control" kind of way, but other managers (BC & PT are the best examples) simply inspire players to reach heights that other managers fail to do. It's not a conscious thing. For an explanation of this (factor x) I refer you to Martin O'Neil who explains how himself and BC didn't particularly like one another ("Brian Clough made me cry on many occasions...") but "strangely enough, I wanted always to get his approval, and when I knew I had it, I felt 10 feet tall on the pitch...").

It's not that the players have somehow formed a conspiratorial union...it's just how leadership works; and management. So we don't have a player-power problem. We actually have a very good group of players who are working very hard for Derby County...

Ok, we disagree on this but that's all good. It's what this forum is all about :cool:

Archived