Should Pearson be shown the door?

oldtimeram

Pearson has got the team playing like the home playoff game v Hull match after match, not the team that then took Hull apart on their own ground.. The team now looks at times dispirited, disillusioned, confused and clueless. Now don't tell me that is all of a sudden down to all of the the players that make up the squad. Yes, there are a few of them we need to dump soonest, but there is only one person responsible for getting us looking like relegation fodder already, with no suggestion the situation will improve. Another poor result on Tuesday must mean curtains.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, kingsy1884 said:

Question is who do you replace him with. There are very few out there who could get us out of this mess. 

We are probably stuck with him for the time being i think.

I think we need someone with experience of getting out of this division, a no nonsense manager who won't take any crap off the players. That should definitely get us out of this division.

5 minutes ago, MikeS said:

Pearson has got the team playing like the home playoff game v Hull match after match, not the team that then took Hull apart on their own ground.. The team now looks at times dispirited, disillusioned, confused and clueless. Now don't tell me that is all of a sudden down to all of the the players that make up the squad. Yes, there are a few of them we need to dump soonest, but there is only one person responsible for getting us looking like relegation fodder already, with no suggestion the situation will improve. Another poor result on Tuesday must mean curtains.

You qualified and up for this task @curtains?

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

I think we need someone with experience of getting out of this division, a no nonsense manager who won't take any crap off the players. That should definitely get us out of this division.

Sounds like something that was posted on here 6 months ago about Pearson.........

I was never in the appoint Pearson camp.  Nutty as a fruit cake and not a very likeable chap.  However, I was prepared to give him a chance to prove himself and he has not done that yet.  I may still give him a few more games but if things do not improve soon he should go. Then it will be back to the Melly go round again.

I hear McClaren has decided to go back to school.

I don't think Pearson should be sacked at this stage. For me, the only situation in which he should be sacked is if we're bottom 6 at Christmas - that's 3 months to get the team looking respectable again, which I think is a reasonable time frame.

Its clear that Pearson is not a continuity manager in the sense of taking a squad of players & playing to their strengths and this clash is causing Derby a lot of grief. He has a very set idea of the type of team he wants & will break a club ethos to rebuild it in his image. I know some might gasp at the comparison but in that sense, he's similar to Brian Clough who managed it at Derby & Forest when given time & failed horribly at Leeds when he wasn't.

Pearson needs time to get this right. The results are bad, the capitulations even more so but there is no sense in binning him in September. Any replacement would then presumably think they had no option but to play 4-3-3 and with certain players in the team - that isn't a healthy recipe for long term success. The style which so nearly carried us to promotion in 2013/14 has been found out by opponents & we need to change.

I do have sympathy with the view of not understanding what Pearson wants to do with this team & questioning why he should be given time in view of the results vs previous seasons. Sometimes a bit of faith is required - I had to make myself sit through an hour of Leicester's 2013/14 season review earlier to see the prototype of what I think Pearson wants us to achieve. I don't think its unrealistic or that far away.

2 hours ago, Reithe glas said:

I think we're fooling ourselves a bit saying we have top players. Over the last 4 years which of our players would have been regular starters for the likes of Norwich, Burnley, Bournemouth or Boro? Possibly Martin before he ran out of gas. Hughes, very likely. Bryson maybe. Apart from that I'm struggling.

You can say the same about those squads in relation to us though.  How many Burnley players would be regular starters here? You can pick probably 3 or 4 (Gray, Boyd for a start), that would walk into the team, but the rest are all much of a muchness.  No squad at this level is packed full of top class players.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Never understand this argument, are you suggesting that no opposing managers will be able to 'find out' 4-4-2?

I'd say it's been found out already.  Teams are going 442, man for man up against us, then sitting deep and soaking up the long balls and hitting us on the break.

27 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Never understand this argument, are you suggesting that no opposing managers will be able to 'find out' 4-4-2?

Firstly, 4-4-2 is a formation not a style. Its used by teams playing a variety of styles - from possession based to Pulis hoofball.

What I was referring to was the pattern of play that consisted of Martin as front man/attacking pivot & the fact the team had plenty of space to play their football in that season, as our style under McClaren contrasted so sharply with Clough's team & clearly caught teams by surprise. By 2014/15, teams worked out that if you isolated Martin, played a high line & harried our midfield, it would pay dividends.

I'm no fan of long ball football but sometimes you have to mix it up to keep teams guessing. Constantly playing pretty football with no end product is pointless. I do accept there are other issues such as lack of movement & injuries to key players that complicate this situation also.

26 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

I'd say it's been found out already.  Teams are going 442, man for man up against us, then sitting deep and soaking up the long balls and hitting us on the break.

It's not the formation at all. Most of our players can easily play in different formations, if they wanted to.....

3 minutes ago, europia said:

It's not the formation at all. Most of our players can easily play in different formations, if they wanted to.....

And it's not the formation that's been found out, it's that we keep punting long balls forward without anyone to hold the ball up, everyone chases after it leaving massive holes for counter attacks.

11 minutes ago, cannable said:

If teams knew how to stop us then why did we average 77.5 points over the course of those two seasons with huge mitigating factors in both? 

Purely looking at points then yes, still impressive hauls but we didn't finish in the playoffs in 14/15 & were looking like we'd miss out last year too before a very impressive late surge after Rotherham. We also scored about 20 goals less last year than the previous 2 seasons.

Just now, LeedsCityRam said:

Purely looking at points then yes, still impressive hauls but we didn't finish in the playoffs in 14/15 & were looking like we'd miss out last year too before a very impressive late surge after Rotherham. We also scored about 20 goals less last year than the previous 2 seasons.

Because the system was completely different

We were top with 13 games to go in 14/15 and collapsed when all of the players required to make the system work were injured

5 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Here we go again with the players don't want success bananas! Why wouldn't the players want to succeed under Pearson? Most of the players on interviewing after signing said they came here to get promotion to the Prem, they were telling porkies then were they, or just deluded!

I never said the players don't want sucess what I said is because of the transfer window we are totally stuck til January with players that either cannot or will not perform to the basic levels us as fans and any manager should reasonably expect of them , don't give me the formation crap as any kind of excuse for the totally piss poor performances these players are turning out with increasing regularity , what we appear to have are players that either work hard but don't have enough talent or the ones who appear to have talent but don't work hard enough ,, don't think for one moment I'm not now looking at Pearson too and thinking he could be handling this a lot better whilst making changes and am worrying that he could well get us relegated this season but these players are constantly not turning up to any degree no matter what formation

Whatever about systems and formations if the players don't give the required effort and commitment, as Pearson is saying, then something has got to give. Personally, I don't want any player who doesn't give 100% as standard, regardless of whether they like the manager or tactics. Based on the fact that we've choked when the chips were down in the last two years I'm inclined to believe Pearson and would like to see him given time to stamp his authority and style on the team.

12 minutes ago, cannable said:

Because the system was completely different

We were top with 13 games to go in 14/15 and collapsed when all of the players required to make the system work were injured

It was a broadly similar system under Wassall but Martin still struggled to score goals - in part I believe because teams were handling him a lot better.

Archived