Mr Shackell

Derbyram1

15 hours ago, Ninos said:

Would you have played him just for a remote chance of playing the second leg of the playoff at home ?  I think you're too smart for that. He needed resting but he was playing super aggressive ... Thorne isn't like other players: he only plays at 100%+. Bless him. Again the point is that Wassalls decisions were far from optimal. We had a huge playoff series coming up v Hull. Rest your key players. Sometimes your decisions affect your luck.

Utterly ridiculous and simply pathetic argument.

You would have never played Roy McFarland or Dave Mackay - both sustained dreadful injuries but came back (Mackay broke his leg twice, the second in his come-back game following the first break). As for Charlie George - well, he was a vital player in our run-in for a season in which many people thought that we would win the double - only for him to dislocate his shoulder in a routine home game against Stoke, and with his departure went possibly the greatest season in our history. Six months later, the manager (Mackay) was sacked and but for the odd blip, 40 years of decline ensued.

It happens - get used to it, or go and take up tiddlywinks. Be careful though - wear goggles if it's coming up to a major tournament, just in case someone has your eye out.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, eddie said:

Utterly ridiculous and simply pathetic argument.

You would have never played Roy McFarland or Dave Mackay - both sustained dreadful injuries but came back (Mackay broke his leg twice, the second in his come-back game following the first break). As for Charlie George - well, he was a vital player in our run-in for a season in which many people thought that we would win the double - only for him to dislocate his shoulder in a routine home game against Stoke, and with his departure went possibly the greatest season in our history. Six months later, the manager (Mackay) was sacked and but for the odd blip, 40 years of decline ensued.

It happens - get used to it, or go and take up tiddlywinks. Be careful though - wear goggles if it's coming up to a major tournament, just in case someone has your eye out.

So you can only dislocate your shoulder in any game other than a routine game?

While we are on the subject, define "routine game" in the league???

12 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

So you can only dislocate your shoulder in any game other than a routine game?

While we are on the subject, define "routine game" in the league???

Go through the motions taking no risks, still win comfortably. Which we didn't, because football doesn't work like that.

@Ninos would somehow have known that he had to take Charlie off two minutes before the injury and the season would have ended in glory at Wembley - however, if bringing on Roger Davies for Charlie had disjointed the team to the extent that we suddenly conceded three goals (we didn't - we conceded one and ended up drawing), then he would have been in a position to accuse Mackay of making the same sort of mistake as he accused Wassall of doing at Rotherham.

Convenient thing, hindsight - only used by those with a limited imagination.

I said similar to this on Saturday. When Johnny Russell, who has 6 opposition players in front of him, passes a ball 30 yards back to Shackell, who then has 11 opposition players in front of him and no movement...then the problem shouldn't be put at Shackell's door

8 hours ago, Ninos said:

A bit spooky if I recall when we got him back from Burnley the Clarets guy came on here and said that at Burnley he was great at defending but frustrated with his cross field distribution singling out that left to right long ball he always plays as a flaw in his game. amazing. But that he was a good captain - and that he was happy to let keane get a run. Maybe this will be rawsons blossoming.

We said the same when they signed him from us. Good defender but likes his Hollywood 50 yard pass to row D of the opposite stand.

35 minutes ago, eddie said:

Go through the motions taking no risks, still win comfortably. Which we didn't, because football doesn't work like that.

@Ninos would somehow have known that he had to take Charlie off two minutes before the injury and the season would have ended in glory at Wembley - however, if bringing on Roger Davies for Charlie had disjointed the team to the extent that we suddenly conceded three goals (we didn't - we conceded one and ended up drawing), then he would have been in a position to accuse Mackay of making the same sort of mistake as he accused Wassall of doing at Rotherham.

Convenient thing, hindsight - only used by those with a limited imagination.

And lost at Hillsboro - Davis was clueless that day - couldn't even hold it up 

13 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Oh no it wasn't anything like that :lol:

More that Thorne might not even be fit before January the way things are going 

You got our hopes up SDSR to then smash them into a million pieces :(

Only pulling your leg, but CDM is the big problem area for us and I don't understand why nothing has been done about it. 

2 hours ago, Ramarena said:

You got our hopes up SDSR to then smash them into a million pieces :(

Only pulling your leg, but CDM is the big problem area for us and I don't understand why nothing has been done about it. 

CDM has been a problem for us over the last 3 seasons but I do not think mr Pearson is going to play anybody in that position as we are setting up, so it is no longer a problem position

3 hours ago, rynny said:

We said the same when they signed him from us. Good defender but likes his Hollywood 50 yard pass to row D of the opposite stand.

Can't make sense of why he does it over and over ... Instead of trying something different. It's now cost him a spot because it was one of those passes where NP lost his mind 

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

CDM has been a problem for us over the last 3 seasons but I do not think mr Pearson is going to play anybody in that position as we are setting up, so it is no longer a problem position

True, I suppose what I mean is a player who has the defensive ability to play in a CM pair. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived