The Pearson Gameplan

Thierry Ennui

14 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

Yeah I forgot he was injured too. Irrelevant though, the players were failures and not good enough right?

Exactly. 

tbf if anybody says that the squad wasn't good enough then fair enough (wouldn't say it myself) We didn't get promoted after all. 

But I can't see many teams getting hammered by injuries in specific areas that often.

I remember United had a defender nightmare. And Arsenal? Man United even lost Carrick I think when he went CB? 

You can't really prepare for it. You can't have 10 central defenders on the first team squad. 

The freedom of Hughes, Bryson and Jeff was so dependable on a half decent DM. Bryson at his best basically played as a forward. He played further up than Martin sometimes!! Straight down the spine those injuries

As for Clement, you have to look at that left side 

Shackell, Warnock, Johnson and Russell

and say that can be improved massively. It was a hospital for passes. The ball used to go over there and get tickled. 

There was room for improvement and reason enough to try again. Especially with Mel's money in the pot. 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, rynny said:

No my statement was correct. He was our top scorer for the last 3 seasons. What are you struggling with?

His last goal was 1 month before the season finished and played for 3 weeks this season. A total of 9 weeks worth of league games. But don't let me get in the way of a good bashing though.

No bashing mainly stating a fact.

2 hours ago, toddy said:

No bashing mainly stating a fact.

One that had nothing to do with what I said. I said Martin was our top scorer for the last 3 seasons and you started arguing about it, saying I missed the word past, not even sure where you thought that should go.

19 hours ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Managed to get hold of this, used during Pearson's interview:

The Derby Way by Nigel Pearson

Midfield - we'll look to have two roving, dynamic midfielders with a lot of stamina who can cover the whole pitch. Ideally one will be a midget and the other whippet thin. These should be able to dominate midfield 3s and compete in physical battles. We'll also look to sell any talented backups and sign no replacement.

Fullbacks - Quick fullbacks. Crossing ability not required.

Strikers - Speeeeed. Slow forwards are not required and will be sold on. Maximum height allowed is 5'11".

Game plan - Play will generally be recycled to the centre backs who will then then play a long ball towards the fast, short strikers. For variety play will sometimes be worked to the advanced fullbacks who will attempt to cross towards the two short strikers.

Chance creation - Shots will generally be long range efforts. Under no circumstances should ground through-balls be attempted towards our two fast, playing-on-the-shoulder strikers.

Bored with these posts now. A true fan will believe and get behind the manager. After all it is only 7 games and only 2 since the new guys joined.

11 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Bored with these posts now. A true fan will believe and get behind the manager. After all it is only 7 games and only 2 since the new guys joined.

So if you don't believe in Pearson then you're not a true fan??!

19 hours ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Managed to get hold of this, used during Pearson's interview:

The Derby Way by Nigel Pearson

Midfield - we'll look to have two roving, dynamic midfielders with a lot of stamina who can cover the whole pitch. Ideally one will be a midget and the other whippet thin. These should be able to dominate midfield 3s and compete in physical battles. We'll also look to sell any talented backups and sign no replacement.

Fullbacks - Quick fullbacks. Crossing ability not required.

Strikers - Speeeeed. Slow forwards are not required and will be sold on. Maximum height allowed is 5'11".

Game plan - Play will generally be recycled to the centre backs who will then then play a long ball towards the fast, short strikers. For variety play will sometimes be worked to the advanced fullbacks who will attempt to cross towards the two short strikers.

Chance creation - Shots will generally be long range efforts. Under no circumstances should ground through-balls be attempted towards our two fast, playing-on-the-shoulder strikers.

Don't forget the goalkeeping tactics:

1. Sell your back-up keeper & sign a 35 year-old stopper nobody has heard of.

2. Tell your 1st choice keeper not to roll the ball out to unmarked defenders. Instead tell him either to pump it high and long to your 5' 10" strikers (one of whom doesn't like to head) or alternatively pump it hard 'n high to Cyrus Christie...don't worry if it keeps going straight into touch. We're playing the % game and eventually, quite soon, just before Christmas, it'll lead to a goal. It worked at Leicester; who won the Prem shortly after I was sacked. 

8 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Don't forget the goalkeeping tactics:

1. Sell your back-up keeper & sign a 35 year-old stopper nobody has heard of.

2. Tell your 1st choice keeper not to roll the ball out to unmarked defenders. Instead tell him either to pump it high and long to your 5' 10" strikers (one of whom doesn't like to head) or alternatively pump it hard 'n high to Cyrus Christie...don't worry if it keeps going straight into touch. We're playing the % game and eventually, quite soon, just before Christmas, it'll lead to a goal. It worked at Leicester; who won the Prem shortly after I was sacked. 

And tell the keeper not to save things?

32 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

....get behind the manager. After all it is only 7 games and only 2 since the new guys joined.

Yes it's just 7 games and as far as I am aware, we don't even know what objectives were set by the chairman for this season. It's obvious he would prefer a top six finish to a relegation battle, but I doubt we will be in the bottom half of the table for long.

If you apply the criteria used by those already looking for Pearson's head, Jim Smith would have been gone after his first 7 or 8 games in charge. For those who remember that promotion season and what followed....

24 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

And tell the keeper not to save things?

I don't really think that's the issue. I long for the days when our 'keeper making a rare error didn't put an end to our chances of winning the game because we could actually score goals. Not playing out from the back and continually sacrificing possession from our own goal kicks is part of that problem.

54 minutes ago, Alpha said:

So if you don't believe in Pearson then you're not a true fan??!

I was saying a true fan will stick behind the manager after ONLY 7 games.

So many times in the past (Jim Smith, Steve Mc) have we had slow and very poor starts and turned it around.

Give the man a chance.

If you started a new job and struggled in the first couple of weeks with all your work mates around you booing or slating you, then you would be a bit piss3d off.

Under Jim Smith we were bottom 6 in November and got promoted

Bris Vegas said: "Insantity is believing that you can't get any better than two playoff defeats with a couple of tweaks."

So wrong in my opinion. The team had peaked, lost confidence and was going backwards. In F1 Ferrari keep tweaking their car but it will never be good enough because Mercedes keep tweaking theirs. Next year with new rules they might stand a chance.

Teams come to Derby fully aware of how to nullify us. We have never really cracked how (i.e We don't have the players) to beat a determined 4-4-2 particularly after we go behind and its more like 4 5 1.

Tear up and rebuild! Which is exactly what is happening. I'm actually fairly optimistic that things will come right soon

1 minute ago, FindernRam said:

Bris Vegas said: "Insantity is believing that you can't get any better than two playoff defeats with a couple of tweaks."

So wrong in my opinion. The team had peaked, lost confidence and was going backwards. In F1 Ferrari keep tweaking their car but it will never be good enough because Mercedes keep tweaking theirs. Next year with new rules they might stand a chance.

Teams come to Derby fully aware of how to nullify us. We have never really cracked how (i.e We don't have the players) to beat a determined 4-4-2 particularly after we go behind and its more like 4 5 1.

Tear up and rebuild! Which is exactly what is happening. I'm actually fairly optimistic that things will come right soon

How come we finished fifth then with worse management than the two years previous?

4 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

HOORAY. Someone on my wavelength.

A professional orchestra can play "land of Hope and Glory" without a conductor. I don't think Wassell did a lot in terms of style or formation so the team performed to their previous level- "Good but not quite Carling".

Under Pearson they are learning a new tune and getting their a bit at a time. By the way I'm not a Pearson fan as such and was not overly chuffed we he came but he Is here and we have to give him a go!

16 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

I was saying a true fan will stick behind the manager after ONLY 7 games.

So many times in the past (Jim Smith, Steve Mc) have we had slow and very poor starts and turned it around.

Give the man a chance.

If you started a new job and struggled in the first couple of weeks with all your work mates around you booing or slating you, then you would be a bit piss3d off.

Under Jim Smith we were bottom 6 in November and got promoted

I deffo agree we should keep him and give him full support at matches. 

Just on here I think it's fair to say what we really think, thrash it out and still be cool?

58 minutes ago, RFK said:

You know Alpha, I'm almost at the stage where I don't even want him to succeed. How sad is that? I know it's dramatic but it seems like he's killing everything I loved about us.

You know what RFK, I read a few posts on here with the "because at Leicester..." thing going on and I felt like I wanted us to lose the next game because I wanted proof that "at Leicester" counts for nothing. 

But then I thought I was just being a bit petty and what I really want is Pearson to actually do what he did at Leicester. That would be enjoyable. Leicester played good stuff that season. 

When you think about it properly it's a far more satisfying to have that than be able to say "look! Just like Paul Jewell his record meant nothing to us! ha!"

I think what makes us angry at him or whatever is purely that we aren't showing much of anything. And it's coming off the back of good seasons. I'm certain we'd be gutted if he fails though

You just have to keep thinking of Leicester in 2014 and hope it's coming. Ironic really considering the argument we have about that. But there is a difference between using it to keep yourself hopeful and using it to prove why things will definitely be all ok. 

The beef really comes with those using his record to prove what's coming. And with those that attack the last 3 years. I'm sure Pearson has far more appreciation for what came before him than some of our fans. Not quite enough to build on it sadly

1 hour ago, europia said:

If you apply the criteria used by those already looking for Pearson's head, Jim Smith would have been gone after his first 7 or 8 games in charge. For those who remember that promotion season and what followed....

It's just not true though is it.

Jim Smith wasn't a domineering, arrogant character with an ego the size of a circus tent. That immediately reduces the amount of patience given to Pearson. Jim Smith didn't spend the first 5 games of his tenure doing all he could to prove a point in order to validate the changes he was making either. They were just poor results, nothing more.

A bad start results wise is easier to accept when you can see a clear direction for the future, a plan coming together. Smith tried to change things, but what he was changing us into was something good.

What Pearson is changing us into remains to be seen. I am a bit more positive than I was two weeks ago because we haven't just shut up shop and tried to hit teams on the counter. Our attacking quality has been low, but at least now there seems to be some intent.

I'm more than happy to say that I don't like Pearson as a man, but it doesn't mean I want him to fail as our manager.

17 minutes ago, Coconut said:

It's just not true though is it.

Jim Smith wasn't a domineering, arrogant character with an ego the size of a circus tent. That immediately reduces the amount of patience given to Pearson. Jim Smith didn't spend the first 5 games of his tenure doing all he could to prove a point in order to validate the changes he was making either. They were just poor results, nothing more.

I was simply referring to comparative performances, rather than personalities.

1 hour ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Ah right, so to be a "true fan" I need to have blind faith.

No but a little faith wouldn't go amiss.

We have been in worse positions than this and pulled it around. Give the man a break and let him get on with the job he was bought in to do.

Archived