The Pearson Gameplan

Thierry Ennui

Managed to get hold of this, used during Pearson's interview:

The Derby Way by Nigel Pearson

Midfield - we'll look to have two roving, dynamic midfielders with a lot of stamina who can cover the whole pitch. Ideally one will be a midget and the other whippet thin. These should be able to dominate midfield 3s and compete in physical battles. We'll also look to sell any talented backups and sign no replacement.

Fullbacks - Quick fullbacks. Crossing ability not required.

Strikers - Speeeeed. Slow forwards are not required and will be sold on. Maximum height allowed is 5'11".

Game plan - Play will generally be recycled to the centre backs who will then then play a long ball towards the fast, short strikers. For variety play will sometimes be worked to the advanced fullbacks who will attempt to cross towards the two short strikers.

Chance creation - Shots will generally be long range efforts. Under no circumstances should ground through-balls be attempted towards our two fast, playing-on-the-shoulder strikers.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Managed to get hold of this, used during Pearson's interview:

The Derby Way by Nigel Pearson

Midfield - we'll look to have two roving, dynamic midfielders with a lot of stamina who can cover the whole pitch. Ideally one will be a midget and the other whippet thin. These should be able to dominate midfield 3s and compete in physical battles. We'll also look to sell any talented backups and sign no replacement.

Fullbacks - Quick fullbacks. Crossing ability not required.

Strikers - Speeeeed. Slow forwards are not required and will be sold on. Maximum height allowed is 5'11".

Game plan - Play will generally be recycled to the centre backs who will then then play a long ball towards the fast, short strikers. For variety play will sometimes be worked to the advanced fullbacks who will attempt to cross towards the two short strikers.

Chance creation - Shots will generally be long range efforts. Under no circumstances should ground through-balls be attempted towards our two fast, playing-on-the-shoulder strikers.

Sorry Penelope, not one of your more mature posts. 

The results are not good, but I wouldn't be too cynical at present. Pearson is a decent manager who has to manage a period of transition. He has inherited a less than wholesome situation at Derby and it will take time to sort it. The second half of this season will be a better indication of the abilities of the new manager. The chairman could of course have avoided this painful transition, appointed another McLaren type coach, to have yet one more attempt to drag the under achieving squad to promotion. But surely that would have ended in yet another near miss or play off failure ??  

24 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Hughes is not lightweight. If you think that after yesterday's performance then I don't know what to say. He can hold off the biggest and strongest opponents. They have to resort to fouling him. Where as he can pick their pocket when the roles are reversed. 

Yeah I just wrote that for effect, really. Despite his appearance, Hughes is getting beastlier and is far stronger in the challenge than Hendrick ever was.

30 minutes ago, europia said:

The results are not good, but I wouldn't be too cynical at present. Pearson is a decent manager who has to manage a period of transition. He has inherited a less than wholesome situation at Derby and it will take time to sort it.

No he hasn't. He inherited a team that finished 5th. A team that a complete rookie with no first team management experience whatsoever managed to keep in the play off places. It didn't need to be a period of transition. The fact that we are a team in transition now is entirely down to choices made by Pearson.

8 minutes ago, Anon said:

No he hasn't. He inherited a team that finished 5th. A team that a complete rookie with no first team management experience whatsoever managed to keep in the play off places. It didn't need to be a period of transition. The fact that we are a team in transition now is entirely down to choices made by Pearson.

The team may have finished 5th, but the dire performance in the home leg of the play off semi V Hull was, in itself, enough to indicate that  there is  a lot wrong within the squad.

46 minutes ago, europia said:

The results are not good, but I wouldn't be too cynical at present. Pearson is a decent manager who has to manage a period of transition. He has inherited a less than wholesome situation at Derby and it will take time to sort it. The second half of this season will be a better indication of the abilities of the new manager. The chairman could of course have avoided this painful transition, appointed another McLaren type coach, to have yet one more attempt to drag the under achieving squad to promotion. But surely that would have ended in yet another near miss or play off failure ??  

Yes the point you overlook is that in my humble opinion Pearson totally unnecessarily instigated this painful transition you allude to which would appear illogical but acceptable if the results had been ok but seems totally crass given they are not.

15 minutes ago, Anon said:

Who's to say that MM / SR didn't also choose to make this transition?  They would have know it would be on the cards before appointing him as Manager.  Wrong to 'blame' Pearson alone for this.  And who's to say it is the wrong decision anyway?  Too early imho.

13 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Yes the point you overlook is that in my humble opinion Pearson totally unnecessarily instigated this painful transition you allude to which would appear illogical but acceptable if the results had been ok but seems totally crass given they are not.

I realise that there is a train of thought that the squad which failed under McLaren - Clement  - Wassall just needed one small tweak and it would all fall into place. I just don't think it to be the case. The best opportunities, arguably the play off final v QPR and McLaren's 2nd season came and went without success. Factions within the squad then appeared and sometimes it requires surgery rather that a sticking plaster to put things right.

9 minutes ago, europia said:

I realise that there is a train of thought that the squad which failed under McLaren - Clement  - Wassall just needed one small tweak and it would all fall into place. I just don't think it to be the case. The best opportunities, arguably the play off final v QPR and McLaren's 2nd season came and went without success. Factions within the squad then appeared and sometimes it requires surgery rather that a sticking plaster to put things right.

The opportunities came and went for various reasons, all this talk of factions, were is the evidence. Lots of footballers hate their team-mates but play football together well - down to them and the management.

Seeing how things are going now under Pearson, I wonder how many are regretting his appointment? I'd have thought an experienced continental manager would have been right up our street, lots of other teams seem to find them without too much trouble...

17 minutes ago, Anon said:

I see what you're saying anon but maybe those players overachieved? Ranieri at Leicester overachieved and he's only lost Kante and yet they've started poorly and IMO won't be in the top 8 this season. It's the same players but that freak bubble of consistency and belief has been burst and it's difficult to get back.

New manager or same one, once you start a new season with most of the players who did so well the season before, it's harder and harder to keep replicating that and expecting the same results. Only the top teams with cash can drop jaded players and replace them with better ones to fit in seamlessly.

I think Derby have done brilliantly to reach the play offs the last two seasons (or is it three - not sure) but to keep failing and then expecting the same core group of players to go at it again is a hard task. An overhaul of the playing squad this season and therefore transition and indifferent results can be expected and I think is necessary. I do agree with you though that this alarming set of circumstances is largely now due to Pearson and the fact that he wants his own players, he's tinkered and still not found any formula or concrete way of playing and he wants to do it his way or the highway. We also don't know who within the squad (if any) he has issues with which could also affect the team. Pearson comes across as a very calculated, single minded bloke and I can certainly understand if he rubs some up the wrong way.

I'm really disappointed with the performances and results though it has to be said. I expected a lot better than we've got but i'm confident that when it clicks into place then we can get some form together and try and sneak into the play offs.

Insanity is doing the same things and expecting a different result! Our serial underachievers needed a good kick up the backside and a new way, not a "tweak". The new 3 strikers look lively and I think they will do well in a few games.

Pearson is doing a huge change job here and there will be glitches. Some of the established players will not adapt and will be on their way in January.

Sun Tzu (look him up) said even the best plans fall apart at first contact with the enemy. If the rumours are right then there are some enemies still in the squad to be ousted. I think Pearson will sort it and fairly soon. Last night was much better and a bit of luck would have seen a different result.

Hughes is good, not £10 million good or he would be gone by now but he is slight of stature. Atwell was generous to him last n ight. Not all refs will be so keen and he may get a reputation (unwarranted) as going over a bit easy!

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The opportunities came and went for various reasons, all this talk of factions, were is the evidence. Lots of footballers hate their team-mates but play football together well - down to them and the management.

Seeing how things are going now under Pearson, I wonder how many are regretting his appointment? I'd have thought an experienced continental manager would have been right up our street, lots of other teams seem to find them without too much trouble...

I wouldn't have minded someone like Florez the former Watford coach, to come to Derby. The Chairman & Sam Rush had a long time to preside over the new manager and I was a bit underwhelmed by the names alleged to be on the shortlist. Of the ones mentioned at the time Pearson seemed as good as any to me. Now that he has the job, with what seems a decent coaching staff, I would like to see him given a season or two to achieve some level of success.

Just now, europia said:

Now that he has the job, with what seems a decent coaching staff, I would like to see him given a season or two to achieve some level of success.

Why should it take that long, by some level of success do you mean score more than one goal? :D

26 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Insanity is doing the same things and expecting a different result! Our serial underachievers needed a good kick up the backside and a new way, not a "tweak". The new 3 strikers look lively and I think they will do well in a few games.

Insantity is believing that you can't get any better than two playoff defeats with a couple of tweaks.

Insanity is throwing five years of hard work down the sh!tter and placing 100% trust in one manager with only one Championship promotion on his record to completey rip the team apart (Players and System) in the hope that he can replicate his one success at another club (done with different coaches, recruitment team, scouts etc.)

Insanity is what Derby County have done over the past 18 months.

We have had 3 years of failure with the squad NP inherited, I honestly think that the squad of 14/15 & 15/16 season peaked.

We need a change and new blood injected into the squad and that's why NP is here, what ever happen in those 3 previous seasons, whether we played tippy tappy football and nice to watch , we failed....... in getting promotion.

Lets look what's happening on the pitch now we are not playing slow, pass, pass, slow, pass, pass, footie of old - I believe we are now improving with each game and if the players took their chances last night, the pitch forks wouldn't be out today, but last night was again down to players not NP.

Archived