If....

simsdcfc

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sadly, that feelgood factor disappeared the day we went 3-0 up against Brighton and fans thought it was acceptable to moan about the team switching off and conserving energy etc. We cruised the game, yet some fans has the audacity to criticise the team for not getting more goals and I recall some fans even booed the second half and then suggested it was a disgraceful performance.

Sadly, that moment ruined everything for me, simply it was an 'enabler' for the ****** in the stand. It made it acceptable to criticise even when the standard is above average. Earning good points didn't receive praise, but created more criticism. Paul Clement's run to the top of the table, even clawing back a 12point deficit to Brighton, went with very little acknowledgement or praise, and in fact, drew criticism for lack of style and intent!!

I know I am alone in this conviction, and I know people massively disagree with me, but as far as I am concerned, FANS ruined the feelgood factor, and without the feelgood factor, we will never experience consistent 9/10 performances! 

So, to answer the question, McClaren wouldn't succeed if he came back because the level of expectation in the stands would create tension and a lack of patience, this would inevitably turn into moans, groans, boos and calls "sausage off <insert player>!! you're sausaging useless!"!!

No chance of happening because he has just started doing his masters degree so he wouldn't have time to be a full time manager. Honestly, I don't think if Mac could get this team playing like they were before. We did so well because we were a surprise team. The second season after 'success' is always the hardest, look at Leicester now after winning the prem.

1 hour ago, simsdcfc said:

Peirson was sacked now and stevie mc was taken on as manager again could he get this squad clicking again?

I know this wont happen btw 

McClaren should keep his distance from the iPro Stadium for a few years. That would be for the best I think.

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

sadly, that feelgood factor disappeared the day we went 3-0 up against Brighton and fans thought it was acceptable to moan about the team switching off and conserving energy etc. We cruised the game, yet some fans has the audacity to criticise the team for not getting more goals and I recall some fans even booed the second half and then suggested it was a disgraceful performance.

Sadly, that moment ruined everything for me, simply it was an 'enabler' for the ****** in the stand. It made it acceptable to criticise even when the standard is above average. Earning good points didn't receive praise, but created more criticism. Paul Clement's run to the top of the table, even clawing back a 12point deficit to Brighton, went with very little acknowledgement or praise, and in fact, drew criticism for lack of style and intent!!

I know I am alone in this conviction, and I know people massively disagree with me, but as far as I am concerned, FANS ruined the feelgood factor, and without the feelgood factor, we will never experience consistent 9/10 performances! 

So, to answer the question, McClaren wouldn't succeed if he came back because the level of expectation in the stands would create tension and a lack of patience, this would inevitably turn into moans, groans, boos and calls "sausage off <insert player>!! you're sausaging useless!"!!

Is the game you mention the one Rohan Ince came on for Brighton and looked like a great player?

I agree with everything you say but I also think things have changed behind the scenes.  For a spell every decision the club made seemed to be great, whether it be looking after our fallen captain and giving him a contract, the improved relationship with the fans, the balance of club message between Rush and McClaren and the idea that we had a list of 3-4 players on our wish list for each position.  A good team can be put together but it is not sustainable without a club that is run well.  For whatever reason I don't think we are now.  

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I don't think so, he inherited a young motivated team which he then coached into a team which could tear teams apart fearlessly, unfortunately I feel that our current crop of players aren't mentally strong enough for him to mould into such a fearless attacking team

not sure that's fair.

Before McClaren came to the club, the majority of fans, especially those who believed in NC, would've said we need a load of better players and would never have predicted that team would get anywhere near the top end of the table.

On that basis, there's no reason that a good, suited/matched manager cannot do the same again.

18 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

not sure that's fair.

Before McClaren came to the club, the majority of fans, especially those who believed in NC, would've said we need a load of better players and would never have predicted that team would get anywhere near the top end of the table.

On that basis, there's no reason that a good, suited/matched manager cannot do the same again.

The difference between then and now though is that it was the negativity of the manager that held the team back. We played just about every team off the park in his final full season at home. We were averaging around 500 passes a game that season.

The problem was more down to the fact that we didn't dare take the same approach away, wouldn't 'go for it' until the 70th minute and looked to defend one goal leads. 

Right now, it's all just a bit of a mess. There isn't really a style of play in place, as a squad it has little direction other than whatever Pearson has in mind. 

14 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

not sure that's fair.

Yeah I agree with that, I thought we would need an overhaul to get up, but it became clear that it was clough not getting the best out of the players- rather than the players not being good enough 

Indeed I think that an suited manager could do with Pearsons squad what mcclaren did with cloughs, but the club has changed quite a bit since then, and I doing think that suited man would be mcclaren 

7 hours ago, unclej said:

I watched Carson stand on the very edge of his area after his mistake last night, to get as far away as he could from the crowd. 

And here is me thinking he was standing there so he was in a good position to meet a through ball or help his defenders out. All the time it was just because some of the intellectually challenged were calling him rude names!! 

Archived