Who thinks our problems are down to Morris?

oldtimeram

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Davide said:

Didn't realise Mel was playing up front . Thought Morris has invested a lot of money in Derby- academy, supported the managers etc. Maybe we should find a chairman with no money , de invest from all our facilities and  sell all the players replacing them with lower league low earners. 

It worked last time!

Seriously though, of course I think we should be grateful for Mel and his money. But it is proof that it ain't easy.

Mo money mo problems.

Hmmm...... To dare comment or not...... 

Disappointed in him.

I do think the route of all the problems currently come down to Mel.

Players must take blame as well of course, there the ones on the pitch.

I am more worried off it.

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Like many owners, Mel Morris had little football experience and placed too much trust in so-called professionals who aren't very good at their job.

The recruitment under his tenure has been absoloutely diobolical. I can't think of many other clubs in Championship history who have spent £30+ million on new players and become considerably worse.

Can you blame Mel for that? His heart was in the right place, but his head wasn't. He wanted to back the manager and add the final few pices to the jigsaw, but our recruitment team instead brought in a number of players who neither fit the system or fit in with the profile of the squad built by Nigel Clough and Steve McClaren.

The close-knit squad with that youthfulness attitude vanished and key partnerships were ruined. 

not sure it has. We were basically over-achieving, but improved league position after the investment, I'm pretty sure we finished 8th in 2015, then 5th in 2016. Not sure how you work out that is 'considerably worse'. It's all nice and romantic to have youthful attitude and key partnerships, but they didn't achieve anything, AND I am keen to hear which key partnerships have broken (ahead of 2 weeks ago), and which youthfulness has vanished in terms of players.

The squad built by Clough, and to some extent McClaren was very weak in terms of numbers. Once someone was injured, the back up... not very good was it.

I believe this is a very good squad just lacking direction.

Mel is learning how to be good at being the chairman of a successful club.

I think he got carried away, was perhaps to set on a certain vision, to involved and some decisions looked strange. If he was still acting like that three four years down the line, i think this thread would carry more weight. Look at Fawaz for god's sake.

However, there is no questioning his intent. He fronted up after sacking Clement and in a very odd way, tried to be as honest as he could (just came out wrong and weird with "promotion isn't the only priority" and "the Derby Way" etc) - he also insisted he wanted to deal with Local Media etc over it.

Absolutely not Mel's fault. He's appointed 2 managers who would have had almost universal support at the time, and he's backed his managers to an extent not seen since Sir LVP.

Football is a capricious bitch. We're just copping our share of downside at the moment. He's unlucky.

11 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

not sure it has. We were basically over-achieving, but improved league position after the investment, I'm pretty sure we finished 8th in 2015, then 5th in 2016. Not sure how you work out that is 'considerably worse'. It's all nice and romantic to have youthful attitude and key partnerships, but they didn't achieve anything, AND I am keen to hear which key partnerships have broken (ahead of 2 weeks ago), and which youthfulness has vanished in terms of players.

The squad built by Clough, and to some extent McClaren was very weak in terms of numbers. Once someone was injured, the back up... not very good was it.

I believe this is a very good squad just lacking direction.

I don't believe we were over-achieving under McClaren. I saw us outplay the opposition on numerous occasions, it wasn't a case of getting lucky like we did under Billy Davies.

You don't have a goal difference of 25+ for no particular reason. When we were at our best, few could live with us.

The squad has got considerably worse from the 2013-14 squad. Performance have gotten worse since 2014-15. We may have finished 5th last season, but we claimed less points than the 2014-15 side, scored less goals than the 2014-15 side, won fewer games and had a lower goal difference.

But now, this moment now, we have a considerably worse squad than that of 2013-14. 

Didn't achieve anything? They were the most entertaining side we've had this side of the millennium. Lowest points tally for three consecutive seasons was 77 points. I feel that is an achievement.

While promotion is the target, failing to get there doesn't mean a failure altogether.

I'm sure Southampton want to finish in the top four. I don't think many supporters would consider Ronald Koeman's time there as a failure just because they didn't. 

I thought we dealt with injuries relatively well during McClaren's reign until we lost 2 central forwards and three holding midfielders to injury. That would wreck any team.

We started the playoff final with Dawkins, Eustace, Bamford, Whitbread and Bryson on the bench. Each player fit the profile, and each player could step in when needed to good effect.

Compare that to now with Bent, Blackman and Johnson...Our squad is horrible now.

35 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Hmmm...... To dare comment or not...... 

Disappointed in him.

I do think the route of all the problems currently come down to Mel.

Players must take blame as well of course, there the ones on the pitch.

I am more worried off it.

I'm interested what exactly gives you such unease about the man?

You are certainly one of the most thought provoking posters on here, and I've nothing but respect for the way you've turned a horrible personal experience into a positive to help others, which is why your position on Mel interests me.

5 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

well 'he' is capable of defending/explaining himself surely? but even so, the team spirit increased with the feelgood factor, and the positive intent ON the pitch. Nigel deserves immense credit for weeding out those that didn't give a toss about Derby. We could've done with Nigel taking over from Colin Todd 15 years ago.

Anya and Pearce were 2 of the best 3 players last night. Obviously Hughes had a much better game (well, first half anyway!)

Nigel Clough would've been definitely promoted with someone like McClaren as his right hand man, but Nigel only trusts who he trusts, and that has ultimately, in my opinion, held his managerial career back. 

Profits on both players?

This is the big thing for me. Clough was a good manager but far too loyal to his coaching team.

When MM took full control, the club had been administered reasonably well by GES/investment group and was in a relatively healthy state financially - he didnt come in after a Maxwell, three amigos or PJ's train wreck of rubbish signings. The nucleus of the squad, although light in some areas, was very good, the team ethic and togetherness was there for all to see and most importantly we were 'achieving' in terms of expectation. We had excellent training facilities in place already, the fans were on side and there was a general feel-good factor around the club. There wasn't a great deal needed doing imho and certainly not 30 million needed to chuck at new signings. I hear you say its his money and your right but this all has to be accountable now as a result of FFP. As far as I can see the club at the time did not need this much of his money and it, like others have suggested, is now proving to be a real problem - requiring key players of the squad to leave before we could bring anyone in. We smashed our transfer record three times in the space of a few months with Ince, Butterfield and Johnson, this setting down a marker where any future signings thereafter would naturally be over-inflated and not representing value for money. The signings in the recent transfer window partly proving this. Signings needed absolutely but the right signings? Not on your nelly.

I was delighted when MM took control, a fellow Ram, one of us, straight from the terraces, a fan that knew the club, it's history and the kind of mistakes that had been made previously. Someone who also knew what had worked well (stability, year-on-year sustainable progress, living within our means etc.) and how, someone who would bargain, haggle and fight for the good of the club, remaining patient and focussed with an inner desire to do it right, build a legacy, one that would be the foundations for decades to come. I was convinced. Fast forward a couple of years and I must confess to being extremely disappointed with how it's gone so far. Not all his fault directly I'm sure but he must take the majority of the responsibity. So while you're all thanking him for his financial input, ask yourself was it really needed at the time in the manner it has been spent. If you believe so then you are deserving of what the current 'culture' around the club is.

6 hours ago, eddie said:

You could argue that 3 near-misses using the 'Derby Way' template and hoping for a different outcome 4th time around without changing management and/or playing style would have satisfied Einstein's definition of insanity

I had to laugh, I worked in that field for a long time, 3 near misses also highlights a high degree of bad luck even though people want to make it more than it was.

30 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I had to laugh, I worked in that field for a long time, 3 near misses also highlights a high degree of bad luck even though people want to make it more than it was.

You were a patents clerk?

Archived