Who thinks our problems are down to Morris?

oldtimeram

I am hearing a lot of slagging off of MM on here and other boards, but he has pumped in millions into the club and i have no doubt he is a true fan, unlike the Americans, so is it fair to criticise him?

He seems to be a bit Jekyll and Hyde and splits opinion a bit with many fans.

Has he spent well? The simple answer to that is not up to now, in my opinion

Has he appointed well?  The simple answer is no in my view.  Whether Pearson is the right man I don't know, but signs are not looking promising are they?  I think we have taken several steps backward in the last two years since MM arrived.

Does he interfere to much?  Most definitely, he should leave the running of the team to the folk that know what they are doing (if we have any of course, which i am starting to doubt?)

Is it a happy club?  I have no evidence to support this, but my gut feeling is that there are problems within the club from top to bottom and having a bunch of prima donnas does not help matters either.

Would you have the American back? Well they were tight fisted and I really do not think their hearts were in the club like Morris, but the atmosphere within the club seemed to be a lot better from what I see from the outside.  On that basis, I would prefer to have kept the Yanks and Canucks steering the club.

I hope Morris can see some of the blunders he has made and can put them right before it is too late and we are in League One.

Come on Mel, the ball is in your court I reckon.

Thoughts ladies and gents.

Come on Angry, i know you want to put in your two penneth lol. 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my opinion the only thing that rests on his shoulders are the managerial appointments.

I believe the millions spent on players had destroyed the team spirit but all MM has done is back his manager. 

We can't have it both ways, telling him to leave the football side to his manager and then tell him he should be assessing what signing players will do to team spirit.

He has made blunders and I think he will be the first to admit it.  If he can learn from these errors i think we can move forward.

A wise man learns from the mistakes of others

Others learn by their own mistakes, but a bloody fool never learns.

I am sure Mel fits in to category 1 or 2 so there is hope yet.  I just hope his ego and stubbornness does not get the better of him.

I'm a MM supporter. He has tried everything to get this club going in the right direction from what I can see:

- Invested in players and the team/club.
- Made difficult decisions like sacking managers when things aren't going well.

Of course they're always going to people who disagree with what players should have been brought (always bloody easy in hindsight) and same with managers as we have Clement supporters and Wassall haters all over this forum. I don't think anyone can honestly say that MM hasn't always done what he believes is right for the club. Not what is right for him, as he has shown by putting himself in the firing line, probably why he is such a successful man outside of football. I have faith in Pearson, Morris and the current batch of players. We we're very very very unlucky last night to come away with nothing, this bad luck will not last.

Morris isn't the reason our entire squad has forgotten how to put the ball in the net, nor is he the reason everyone's heads go down at the first sign of pressure or adversity.

The only things that could hypothetically be blamed on him are some of the transfers, but I suspect he is acting on the advice of others in that regard. I still cannot fathom why we splashed the cash we did on Blackman for example. I hate to single someone out but in this instance I don't feel like I can make my point in any other way.

The only mistakes I can see are:

1. Appointing Clement - We all knew it was a risky one. Unfortunately it didn't pay off & we'll never know precisely why.

2. Recruitment last season - spent a lot of money on players who (to date) have neither slotted into the team or justified their transfer value.

Otherwise, the investment in the club & facilities has been and will be a big boost in the future, in attracting, developing and keeping talent. Unfortunately this will mainly show a benefit in the longer term.

Quite how the OP can criticise interference now, based on one visit to the dressing room last Jan, is baffling. Not to mention a pure guess as to us being an unhappy club.

I did say it was a gut feeling about the lack of cordiality within the club.....just an opinion.

Appointing Wassell was a big mistake in my view.

As for the interference in team affairs I believe it did affect morale but let's hope he has learnt from this.  I am sure he has. Only a mad man would interfere at half time if we are losing when Pearson is giving them the riot act. He could get away with it with a rookie like Clement.

6 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

The only mistakes I can see are:

1. Appointing Clement - We all knew it was a risky one. Unfortunately it didn't pay off & we'll never know precisely why.

2. Recruitment last season - spent a lot of money on players who (to date) have neither slotted into the team or justified their transfer value.

Otherwise, the investment in the club & facilities has been and will be a big boost in the future, in attracting, developing and keeping talent. Unfortunately this will mainly show a benefit in the longer term.

Quite how the OP can criticise interference now, based on one visit to the dressing room last Jan, is baffling. Not to mention a pure guess as to us being an unhappy club.

I think appointing clement was a good idea, for me the sacking is still one that raises more questions.

Recruitment last season, for me the only one i raise any question marks over is blackman. Butters and Johnson we had to do something, maybe one of them would have done though, but without hughes and bryson we needed someone in.

18 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

Has he spent well? The simple answer to that is not up to now, in my opinion

I guess this depends on if you hold Mel directly responsible for scouting the players, making the sole decision to sign them and writing the cheques. This isn't the case so it's unfair to lay this one on him. Yes our recruitment policy raises questions, however there is a number of people involved in this. 

Has he appointed well?  The simple answer is no in my view.  Whether Pearson is the right man I don't know, but signs are not looking promising are they?  I think we have taken several steps backward in the last two years since MM arrived.

Clement seemed to get approval from the football world, giving a chance to a young coach that has proven ability and worked under top coaches. I remember on this forum most were happy with the appointment when it was made. Didn't work out and a large amount of fans were pretty angry we sacked him. 

Would replacing him with a proven experienced manager over Wassall have seen us in the Premier League now? impossible to say, many wanted one and calls for Pearson were ignored, fast forward a few months and 7 games in we have the guy and theres talk of getting rid. Is this fans admitting they were wrong?

You can't judge Pearson's tenure until he's left the club. 

Does he interfere to much?  Most definitely, he should leave the running of the team to the folk that know what they are doing (if we have any of course, which i am starting to doubt?)

I guess this goes back to the dressing room incident which he later apologised for and recognised it wasn't something he should and will be doing in the future. The picking the team rumours have been rubbished so many times now, even Wassall on TV the other day laughing it off. 

Is it a happy club?  I have no evidence to support this, but my gut feeling is that there are problems within the club from top to bottom and having a bunch of prima donnas does not help matters either.

There is no evidence either way, I would like to hear that we have unhappy players in the dressing room, to think they are all having a good old laugh at the current situation would annoy me no end. 

Would you have the American back? Well they were tight fisted and I really do not think their hearts were in the club like Morris, but the atmosphere within the club seemed to be a lot better from what I see from the outside.  On that basis, I would prefer to have kept the Yanks and Canucks steering the club.

Absolutely not, we was going nowhere under them, with the gap between the Championship and Premier League growing bigger by the season we need owners that are willing to put their hands in their pockets. Remember the days of each transfer window dreaming of a Shaun Barker type fee? 

As for the topic title, Who thinks our problems are down to Morris? no. Our problems are a lack of goals, the players not being clinical enough with their chances. Read so many times this is down to Pearson, tactics are all wrong but last night the chances were there, our forwards need to start converting them and fast.

I think our main problem has been in recruitment.

We appear to have created a set of quite skilful individuals who have failed to bond as a team. 

Character and personality can be as important as technical skill when producing a side which unites and works hard for each other.

If you can build team spirit with strong characters they will resolve difficulties they face on the pitch.

2 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Whatever your opinion, there's no denying the correlation between MM's arrival and the decline of the team..

Didn't we finish in the top 6 last season regardless of all this "interference" poor appointments and recruitment? which was better than the season before. 

The recruitment policy is the problem, some proper duds. It goes deeper than just ability though, say what you like about Nigel Clough but one thing he did do was put together the right temperament and mentality in the dressing room. His side that got to the playoff final are still the benchmark in spirit and belief here.

4 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

The recruitment policy is the problem, some proper duds. It goes deeper than just ability though, say what you like about Nigel Clough but one thing he did do was put together the right temperament and mentality in the dressing room. His side that got to the playoff final are still the benchmark in spirit and belief here.

it wasn't his side that got into the Playoff final no more than it's his side that cannot score a goal right now.

Temperament and mentality mean nothing when you're getting beat by Crawley etc.

Archived