Classic Cloughie

loweman2

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was disappointed when I heard Saunders recount the story, everyone knew Mr Clough had an issue with drink.  Previous to this Saunders was one of the footballers I really respected...we all embellish a story to get a laugh, but this is pretty much just made up, and done at the expense of a brilliant, but flawed man.  It may have got him a laugh and plenty of airtime, but maybe getting called out on this and having people snigger about him might let him know what it's like to be on the other end of the joke.   

Well essentially you are right Troy, my counter point would be that it sounds exactly like the kind of anecdote that gets added too bit by bit over time.

I come from an Army background and I know ex-squaddies that have anecdotes from their time that get more and more bombastic every time I hear them. First time you hear it there were a few guys shooting at them, then it was twenty and a few years down the line you would think the whole Taliban force in Afghanistan were there.

Almost everyone does it to a greater or lesser extent, Deano just got caught out on national radio doing it. 

2 hours ago, TroyDyer said:

True. Or Hill is trying to protect the memory of his friend? 

I think we need to hear from fatso.

I have nothng to say on the matter.

To be quite honest when I was listening for the first time and as I posted it it was obviously before I had seen any other opinions.

I found it to be a funny story that I took with a pinch of salt and imagined that it was somewhat exaggerated, it never crossed my mind that it was because Brian was drunk, the man was a wonderful extroverted genius a long time before his drink issues, he did and said crazy things, that's what made him stand outjust pictured the story in my minds eye as it unfolded and took it for what it was, funny and light hearted.

Saunders alluded that Brian may have had a drink, he didn't say he was drunk, there is a clear difference, other people are saying that to act in that manner you have to be.

lets remember Brian Clough for being a football genius who put Derby County on the world map, the other stuff really doesn't matter.

On 4 September 2016 at 15:09, ronnieronalde said:

Surprising really, cos he was with his current wife Margaret from the age of 16 ish. Long before BC started drinking to excess.

Nigel used to run an Allestree Juniors team in the year below me when he was in sixth form at Woodlands with Chris Wheway, whilst he played for AC Hunters

The subject of Clough was leading news on the main soccer index of a rival forum I recently viewed and arguably one of the most prominent and recognized managerial figures to ever grace the sport.   The English (were in retrospect) wrong to turn him away in favor of Greenwood at the end of the 70's but he's up there on a plateau with great names like Paisley, Jock Stein and Ferguson regards team leadership.  

It's a shame he invariably gets remembered for his successes with Nottingham Forest by neutral observers and the championship win here at Derby before it is often overlooked : not only that but many outside of the two East Midland clubs (and Middlesbrough / North East) don't realize what a prolific and standout center forward Clough was during his playing career.     Would be worth an astronomical figure in today's inflated market.

Achieved every honor apart from the FA Cup trophy and the recollection from the day is quite hazy, but Spurs were an average team that year and furthermore Gascoigne had left the field to injury early in the game and a great opportunity had presented itself but was ultimately wasted.    No tears here for a Forest defeat for sure, but just saying that was the best chance Mr Clough ever witnessed to winning that elusive competition.

18 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Nigel used to run an Allestree Juniors team in the year below me when he was in sixth form at Woodlands with Chris Wheway, whilst he played for AC Hunters

Made my debut for AC Hunters aged 16 as a fast and tricky left winger, played alongside some quality lads who I'll not forget in a hurry.

Nige and Simon tried to keep it low key by not telling me i was playing until half an hour before kick off but Brian told me to get an early night and drink plenty of skimmed milk the Saturday night "cos you never know".

I'd heard him say that to loads of the young lads at Forest before he threw them in for their debut against Liverpool or some other minnow :-)

As soon as he said that I knew I was in. I went to bed wearing Pearcey's number 3 shirt and dreamed of smashing the full back in two. I was rubbish and couldnt get near the ball. I got subbed for Tony Clough after about 55 minutes.

Happy Days indeed :-)

3 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Made my debut for AC Hunters aged 16 as a fast and tricky left winger, played alongside some quality lads who I'll not forget in a hurry.

Nige and Simon tried to keep it low key by not telling me i was playing until half an hour before kick off but Brian told me to get an early night and drink plenty of skimmed milk the Saturday night "cos you never know".

I'd heard him say that to loads of the young lads at Forest before he threw them in for their debut against Liverpool or some other minnow :-)

As soon as he said that I knew I was in. I went to bed wearing Pearcey's number 3 shirt and dreamed of smashing the full back in two. I was rubbish and couldnt get near the ball. I got subbed for Tony Clough after about 55 minutes.

Happy Days indeed :-)

Did you play with my mate Gavin McAndrew?

Whether the story is true or not is of no consequence.

I found this Saunders anecdote distasteful to say the least. Whatever next, humorous quips about Gary Speed's depression or John Hartson's battle with cancer?

Mocking the afflicted is bad enough but profiting from it is despicable. I used to like Dean Saunders.

Archived