January Transfer Suggestion Thread

CastletonRam

The reality is that although we are trying to gain promotion, we are nowhere near being a side that could compete at that level. We have players like Butterfield that is very poor in his passing ability. Johnson showed against Norwich that he is in the same category. We should NEVER have paid what we did for the likes of Butterfield, Johnson, Vydra, etc. we need MAJOR injection of quality even if it's in the form of five loan players of Premiership quality. 

I can only think of TWO or THREE players that could survive in the Premiership, and that would be Hughes, Carson, and possibly Ince. The rear guard are good, but aging, and wouldn't survive in the Premiership, evidenced against Norwich. Am I wrong?

Johnson's been fantastic in the cdm role for us recently but I do think we are missing Thorne's ability to big out a pass in the midfield especially in games like today and against teams who sit deep against us. I may be wrong but I don't think we have ever been beaten more than a two goal margin with George in the team(someone correct me if that's false). That's not Johnson's fault. He never has and never will be a midfielder to spray it around like Thorne. Johnson's more like a bulldog on the pitch who uses his physical presence on the pitch.

34 minutes ago, CaliforniaRam said:

The reality is that although we are trying to gain promotion, we are nowhere near being a side that could compete at that level. We have players like Butterfield that is very poor in his passing ability. Johnson showed against Norwich that he is in the same category. We should NEVER have paid what we did for the likes of Butterfield, Johnson, Vydra, etc. we need MAJOR injection of quality even if it's in the form of five loan players of Premiership quality. 

I can only think of TWO or THREE players that could survive in the Premiership, and that would be Hughes, Carson, and possibly Ince. The rear guard are good, but aging, and wouldn't survive in the Premiership, evidenced against Norwich. Am I wrong?

Yeah.

9 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Johnson's been fantastic in the cdm role for us recently but I do think we are missing Thorne's ability to big out a pass in the midfield especially in games like today and against teams who sit deep against us. I may be wrong but I don't think we have ever been beaten more than a two goal margin with George in the team(someone correct me if that's false). That's not Johnson's fault. He never has and never will be a midfielder to spray it around like Thorne. Johnson's more like a bulldog on the pitch who uses his physical presence on the pitch.

When fit, Thorne is a superb reader of a game, defensively and offensively. Not the quickest but his anticipation to sniff out danger more than makes up for any lack of pace and his ability to spot a forward run and make the right pass means that the other midfielders are able to play that bit further forward. We miss him but sadly I don't think we can count on him being regularly available so need to find an alternative. Currently that's Johnson but whilst the defensive side of his game is sound, he's unable to spot that killer pass so the likes of Hughes and Butterfield have to drop deeper to create the link with the front three, leaving us short in the final third.

Just now, Wolfie20 said:

When fit, Thorne is a superb reader of a game, defensively and offensively. Not the quickest but his anticipation to sniff out danger more than makes up for any lack of pace and his ability to spot a forward run and make the right pass means that the other midfielders are able to play that bit further forward. We miss him but sadly I don't think we can count on him being regularly available so need to find an alternative. Currently that's Johnson but whilst the defensive side of his game is sound, he's unable to spot that killer pass so the likes of Hughes and Butterfield have to drop deeper to create the link with the front three, leaving us short in the final third.

I've said this many times now. If we have Thorne for at least 42+ games of a season we would have been in the prem by now. Class player but sadly gets injured a lot.

Whenever I doubt whether we can rely on Thorne, I always come back to this video and it makes me change my mind. He looked so lean in the clip away against Brentford in comparison to how he was last season.

51 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I've said this many times now. If we have Thorne for at least 42+ games of a season we would have been in the prem by now. Class player but sadly gets injured a lot.

Whenever I doubt whether we can rely on Thorne, I always come back to this video and it makes me change my mind. He looked so lean in the clip away against Brentford in comparison to how he was last season.

So very sad George has had the injuries he's had. 

1 hour ago, CaliforniaRam said:

Bloody hell mate, i thought I was negative, and then I read this!

4 hours ago, Posh Ram said:

Yeah.

Can you not see why Norwich sold Johnson? I agree with other comments about Thorne though. I just hope that his football future, with his injuries, hasn't been ruined. If he mends well, he could make it for sure in the Premiership. Anya is also a possibility, but it wouldn't surprise me if we make a serious bid for Forest's captain, but seriously, if I'm wrong about the rest tell me which of Derby's current squad would fair well in the Premiership?

So, remove the rose coloured glasses and tell me who have I overlooked in your eyes that could really do a good job to keep Derby up in the Premiership if we got promotion, other than those I've mentioned?

On 12/30/2016 at 10:59, irobinson said:

Mitrovic  from Geordies for me - strong young aggressive striker - he'd be worth 10 mil

he wants away

On 12/30/2016 at 11:01, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

They won't sell to promotion rival. 

Might do as they are apparently in the market for Scott Hogan.

2 hours ago, 86 points said:

Might do as they are apparently in the market for Scott Hogan.

Brentford aren't promotion rival this season right?

10 hours ago, CaliforniaRam said:

Can you not see why Norwich sold Johnson? I agree with other comments about Thorne though. I just hope that his football future, with his injuries, hasn't been ruined. If he mends well, he could make it for sure in the Premiership. Anya is also a possibility, but it wouldn't surprise me if we make a serious bid for Forest's captain, but seriously, if I'm wrong about the rest tell me which of Derby's current squad would fair well in the Premiership?

So, remove the rose coloured glasses and tell me who have I overlooked in your eyes that could really do a good job to keep Derby up in the Premiership if we got promotion, other than those I've mentioned?

Well first, I think the main flaw in your argument is this belief that teams need to be full of "Premier League quality players" to stay up. Survival is much more about having an effective system and having players that can execute that. Last year Bournemouth stayed up with Junior Stanislas and Josh King up front and loads of defenders that spent their whole career in the Championship.

Because they seem to fit well in McClaren's system, I think Carson, Pearce, Baird, Thorne, Johnson, Hughes, Butterfield and Ince could all do ok starting in the Premiership. Keogh, Olson, Anya would all be fine off the bench.

1 hour ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Brentford aren't promotion rival this season right?

Not sure what you mean DEL. The point I was making was that if they bring in Hogan they might be tempted to let Mitrovic go elsewhere. Brentford are asking for £15M + for Hogan so it's possible they'd look to re-coup on Mitrovic.