Summary of Derby's transfer window

Carl Sagan

The window has shut and Derby's business has been:

Out (~£15m)

• Jeff Hendrick (Burnley, £10.5m)
  • Chris Martin (Fulham season loan, fee £2.5m, option to buy for agreed extra fee)
  • Raul Albentosa (Deportivo de la Coruna, undisclosed (~£1m?))
  • Ryan Shotton (Birmingham City, undisclosed (~£0.5m?))
  • Jake Buxton (Wigan, undisclosed (~£0.3m?)
  • Lee Grant (Stoke City, loan until January, undisclosed fee (~£0.2m?))
  • Kelle Roos (Bristol Rovers, season loan)

In (~£13m)

• Matej Vydra (Watford, £8.5m)
  • Ikechi Anya (Watford, £3.5m)
  • James Wilson (Manchester United, season loan (~£1m?))
  • Chris Weale (unattached)

Promoted from last season's U21s (given squad numbers)

• Max Lowe
  • Timi Max Elsnik
  • Farrend Rawson

Apologies to anyone I'm missing! It's late...

Although the profit is roughly £2m, the financial fair play boon is huge because all the fees for Hendrick and Martin go into this year's accounts while those for Vydra and Anya are spread over the length of their contracts. The new squad is:

Goalkeepers: Carson, Mitchell, Weale

Defenders: Keogh, Shackell, Pearce, Christie, Baird, Olsson, Lowe, Hanson, Rawson, Forsyth*

Midfielders: Hughes, Bryson, Butterfield, Johnson, Thorne*, Elsnik

Wide forwards: Russell, Ince, Blackman, Anya, Camara

Central Forwards: Vydra, Wilson, Bent, Weimann*

[* = currently unavailable for selection]

I haven't decided how I feel about it so will sleep on it before commenting.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think if we continue back up our play instead of get bodies ahead of the ball then it doesn't matter who we sign. We'll still be pressed back and forced into hoofs. Can Chris Weale play DM so we can have a midfielder visit the opponents half? 

I'm disappointed. If it's a rebuild then I don't think we've been busy enough. 

And if we're going to play with a DM then it's unbelievable that we are still light in this area and have been since Eustace and Omar got injured. 

I guess we'll see. I'm expecting some awkward blend of what was and what will be. I'm expecting a transitional period rather than a promotion battle.

But if we continue the negative hoofball then I will have to drag myself to games and try to ignore the last 3 years where we came close, didn't build on the team that played at Wembley and totally side stepped the opportunity to upgrade. 

All the best to Jeff and Martin. Really enjoyed them. Hendrick had high expectations and never quite hit them. But that doesn't make him a bad player. He's young, still got potential.

Martin... well we spent years dreaming of a 20 goal striker. We dreamt about Billy Sharp and James Vaughan (never understood that one).

We got through Porter, Savies, Theo, Sammon, Tyson, Dickov, Campbell, Moore, Sunu, Priskin, Ball, Kuqi etc etc. He leaves here imo the best striker since the Smith era. In some it may be only back to the Burley era. Some may have preferred Howard. 

But 60 goals in all comps over 3 seasons worth of football. That's put him on my legend map because I'm 31. 

Enjoyed both players. And if Grant doesn't return either then I wish him the best. 2 spells here. He's done alright. He was a hero at times in 2013/14. 

Raul pretty much sums up our efforts at upgrading the Wembley team. Didn't fit. 

When was the last time Martin had a game for us where you could say .. If not for him ..ect .. 

Good luck Chris at minor league fulham but we need more here .. 

Same with Hendrick , tho maybe he'll be more missed potentially .. 10mill in Mel's wallet tho .. lol 

Good luck Jeff in sunny Burnley ... 

I think overall we miissed out on Kodija obviously .. Villa the bigger pull there ... lets' see where they end up next May..  but we've not gone crazy and maybe who knows in 6 months time we'll all be saying what cool business all this has been... 

It's ultimately down to Pearson now. 

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Out (~£15m)

• Chris Martin (Fulham season loan, fee £2.5m, option to buy for agreed extra fee)

In (~£13m)

Promoted from last season's U21s (given squad numbers)

• Max Lowe
  • Timi Max Elsnik
  • Farrend Rawson

Apologies to anyone I'm missing! It's late...

Although the profit is roughly £2m, the financial fair play boon is huge because all the fees for Hendrick and Martin go into this year's accounts while those for Vydra and Anya are spread over the length of their contracts. The new squad is:

Goalkeepers: Carson, Mitchell, Weale

Defenders: Keogh, Shackell, Pearce, Christie, Baird, Olsson, Lowe, Hanson, Rawson, Forsyth*

Midfielders: Hughes, Bryson, Butterfield, Johnson, Thorne*, Elsnik

Wide forwards: Russell, Ince, Blackman, Anya, Camara

Central Forwards: Vydra, Wilson, Bent, Weimann*

[* = currently unavailable for selection]

I haven't decided how I feel about it so will sleep on it before commenting.

Good post. This team is far better far more balanced and far far faster. Vydra Anya and Wilson will become fan favourites, no doubt.  I'm excited to see Wilson and Vydra play together in front of Will and Craig. Nice work Nigel, Sam and Mel! 

I don't know how to start a thread here but I've read Hendrick's comments in the Guardian re his move to Burnley and jeeez ... no wonder this team is under performing ... 

Good luck Jeff ...I'm glad you've finally got the move you've been looking/craving for ..

You'll need more than good luck tho for Burnley to be in the prem next August .

1 hour ago, Milk said:

When was the last time Martin had a game for us where you could say .. If not for him ..ect .. 

Good luck Chris at minor league fulham but we need more here .. 

Same with Hendrick , tho maybe he'll be more missed potentially .. 10mill in Mel's wallet tho .. lol 

Inconsistent Hendrick will be missed more than consistent 20 goal Martin? That's a first.

Fulham have done really well this window and are certainly not minor league.

Either way Pearson has more of a squad he can call his now, let's see what he can do with it.

................Carson                                                      Carson.                                               Carson 

christie Keogh Shackell olsson      christie Keogh Shackell olsson        christie Keogh Shackell olsson 

..............hughes*                                                    Hughes*.                  Anya Hughes Bryson camara 

anya Ince Bryson+ camara                            Butterfield bryson+.                                            Ince 

.............vydra                                          Anya.      Vydra.        Camara                                   Vydra

*thorne when fit

+Johnson when fit 

looks like plenty of options for me. Wednesday managed to play good football without that big duffer up front for them last season. It forces us to play to feet/below chest height as Vydra clearly won't compete aerially. 

If this squad can't win more than it loses and do so whilst improving the quality of football over the season then I'll be very surprised. It isn't all doom and gloom lads! 

1 minute ago, IlsonDerby said:

................Carson                                                      Carson.                                               Carson 

christie Keogh Shackell olsson               christie Keogh Shackell olsson               christie Keogh Shackell olsson 

..............hughes*                                                    Hughes*.                                    Anya Hughes Bryson camara 

anya Ince Bryson+ camara                            Butterfield bryson+.                                            Ince 

.............vydra                                          Anya.      Vydra.        Camara                                   Vydra

*thorne when fit

+Johnson when fit 

looks like plenty of options for me. Wednesday managed to play good football without that big duffer up front for them last season. It forces us to play to feet/below chest height as Vydra clearly won't compete aerially. 

If this squad can't win more than it loses and do so whilst improving the quality of football over the season then I'll be very surprised. It isn't all doom and gloom lads! 

James Wilson as well. 

10 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

christie Keogh Shackell olsson               christie Keogh Shackell olsson               christie Keogh Shackell olsson 

..............hughes*                                                    Hughes*.                                    Anya Hughes Bryson camara 

*thorne when fit

+Johnson when fit 

Don't think your allowed to field 33 players !!!

4 hours ago, Milk said:

I don't know how to start a thread here but I've read Hendrick's comments in the Guardian re his move to Burnley and jeeez ... no wonder this team is under performing ... 

Good luck Jeff ...I'm glad you've finally got the move you've been looking/craving for ..

You'll need more than good luck tho for Burnley to be in the prem next August .

You need 30 posts to start threads .

you could add to the Hendrick thread that's already open, and it's good form to copy and paste the article or at least a link to an online version

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Out (~£15m)

In (~£13m)

I have seen Albentosa's fee quoted as €800k, which is around £675,000 (obviously depending on exchange rate).

I'm not too disappointed. I have faith in the new forward line.

The key for me is getting Weimann back and Johnson hitting some form. That will be like two additional signings.

Pearson knows exactly what he wants and knows how to forge a team full of spirit.

I predict a late run into the play-off's and until then we'll be a tough team to beat as the opposition will be wary of being hit on the break.

COYR

8 hours ago, lrm14 said:

Inconsistent Hendrick will be missed more than consistent 20 goal Martin? That's a first.

Fulham have done really well this window and are certainly not minor league.

Either way Pearson has more of a squad he can call his now, let's see what he can do with it.

Agree.  CM had a bit of a slump but been fantastic for us. Still would have liked to see a new Right Back and hard Centre Mid but am quietly optimistic. 

I know Watford pretty well as some of my mates are Hornet boys and they're gutted to see Vydra and particularly Anya leave. Despite my continued (maybe unfair) pessimism about defensive capability I think we now have real goal threat and the ability to scare the opposition defence. Time will tell of course.....:whistle:

10 hours ago, Ninos said:

Good post. This team is far better far more balanced and far far faster. Vydra Anya and Wilson will become fan favourites, no doubt.  I'm excited to see Wilson and Vydra play together in front of Will and Craig. Nice work Nigel, Sam and Mel! 

I hope you are correct, but i think we need to maintain a certain level of doubt about that as this stage.  If such things were certain the transfer market would be a fair easier place to negotiate. 

On 01/09/2016 at 08:46, davenportram said:

You need 30 posts to start threads .

you could add to the Hendrick thread that's already open, and it's good form to copy and paste the article or at least a link to an online version

Re the good form .. It's taken on board. 

Archived