Summary of Derby's transfer window

Carl Sagan

After digesting the signings, I'm pleased with Vydra and Wilson, hope that Carson stays fit, a bit ambivalent about Anya and feel we couldn't turn down that level of fee for Hendrick. All of which leaves me with two queries: the Martin loan deal and the lack of a new midfielder.

I'd heard that Martin and Pearson fell out quite early on. We can think that footballers are living comfortable lives on their huge salaries being adored by the masses once or twice a week, but they can be as fragile as the rest of us. When Martin first arrived at Derby after his previously unsuccessful loan spell at Swindon and unwanted by hometown club Norwich, the talk was that he needed somewhere he could be loved and would feel he belonged. That's what happened and boy did he repay the faith. But since the perceived falling out of love with the club and feeling unwanted, he appears a shadow of his previous self. And he talked in his signing interview about being wanted by Fulham.

It is a terrible financial deal. No question. After a year at Fulham he will only have one year left on his contract and will be far less saleable. Strikers with one good Championship season have been going for absolutely crazy money and Martin has had three in a row. He's gone to a team in our division but if we were getting rid of him that was pretty much inevitable unless we could get Celtic to step in and persuade Chris to go. Perhaps we don't see Fulham as promotion rivals compared with other teams who we wouldn't have been prepared to sell to, so took this deal instead?

For the money Martin is best in the division at what he does, a great hold up striker who links the play with everyone else and who's a very good finisher with both feet, if not his head. He's bags of talent but not the quickest, but does have speed of thought. If we're moving him on then there's no point bringing in a Martin replacement. We've decided we're not going to play that way and so Vydra and Wilson will have to do the business with the other strikers already here. I will always love Chris Martin and he's been central to so many of the best moments of the last three (very good) years, but I do consider those years to have several significant moments of missed opportunity and failing to replace Martin if injured or out of form has cost us. So, I can see some logic in twisting and trying something new.

For years we thought we had a great midfield. What could be better in the Championship, seemingly, than Hughes, Bryson and Hendrick? And then we brought in George Thorne. And then we spent >£10m (in the days when that was a lot of money) on Johnson and Butterfield. We've sold Hendrik who I've always liked but it would be hard to call him an automatic choice, yet we got massive money for him. We still have five great senior central midfielders. I'm surprised I'm surprised that we didn't strengthen.

I've always thought good midfielders can adapt to different systems. That's the gamble. These five have until Christmas to prove that enough of them are good enough to make us credible challengers. If Will Hughes is as good as I've always thought he was then he has to step up and prove his talent. It's a huge season for him. We need a system that allows him to play further forward and damage the opposition.

We've only played five league games to date, but sadly the season will be at least a third gone before George Thorne is back in a Derby shirt. That's too late to redeem things if our form has continued in the same vein that we've begun the season in. I'd have gone for an established defensive midfielder from overseas but the moment has passed. I think the overall window has weakened us but it depends if we can adapt to a new method of playing. And that partly depends if it's clearer to the players than me as to what that new way of playing is meant to be.

I want it to be high powered, high intensity football, pressing high up the pitch, surging forward at breakneck speed at every opportunity and swift confident forward-thinking passing throughout the team. I've not seen any of that so far. But we have more points now than coming into last season's early international break and were still able to top the table by Christmas. It was a first league win that built confidence and for a while we didn't look back (at least in terms of results). A win over Newcastle could do the same.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My summary with the help of @PodgeyRam's text http://viewfromtheweststand.blogspot.fi/

GK: Outs - Lee Grant (Stoke, 6 month loan), Kelle Roos (Bristol Rovers, season long loan), Mats Morch (released).
Ins - Chris Weale (Free Agent)

Good business. Save some money and Mitchell can't be worse than Grant without confidence. I like the idea that third option is old head.

Defence: Outs - Raul Albentosa (Deportivo de La Coruna, £675,000), Jake Buxton (Wigan Athletic, Free Transfer), Ryan Shotton (Birmingham City, £750,000), Stephen Warnock (Wigan Athletic, Free Transfer).
Ins - Max Lowe (Promoted from Youth)

In doesn't look that bad if you count in Rawson and Pearce too. Forsyth injury is was once again bad luck but Olsson will do. No worries with our defence.

Midfield:Outs - Jeff Hendrick (Burnley, £10.5m), Ivan Calero (Sparta Rotterdam, Free Transfer).
Ins - Timi Max Elsnik (Promoted from Youth), Ikechi Anya (Watford, £4m).

Crazy money for Jeff and got proper winger in. Better balance than before. We still have lot of options here and even though quite a few here would like to have another DM in, I'm not sure if it really is needed. Fit Hughes and Bryson are good "signings".

Outs - Shaquille McDonald (Nuneaton Town, Free Transfer), Conor Sammon (Hearts of Midlothian, Free Transfer), Kwame Thomas (Coventry City, Free Transfer), Chris Martin (Fulham, season long loan).
Ins - James Wilson (Manchester United, season long loan), Matej Vydra (Watford, £8m).

Talk about not replacing Martin is nonsense. One out, two in. That's more than replacing.

Overall:

Some serious pace has been added now. If they are as quick with their thinking as they are with their feet, we should have very entertaining season in front of us. If not, it'll be very, very long one. I'm not excited but at the same time I have to admit that Pearson's previous transfers dealings has been simply amazing. In every change there is about 20 who are pro, 20 who are against then rest 60 who'll wait and judge later. I'll judge later, let's say next Saturday...

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

After digesting the signings, I'm pleased with Vydra and Wilson, hope that Carson stays fit, a bit ambivalent about Anya and feel we couldn't turn down that level of fee for Hendrick. All of which leaves me with two queries: the Martin loan deal and the lack of a new midfielder.

I'd heard that Martin and Pearson fell out quite early on. We can think that footballers are living comfortable lives on their huge salaries being adored by the masses once or twice a week, but they can be as fragile as the rest of us. When Martin first arrived at Derby after his previously unsuccessful loan spell at Swindon and unwanted by hometown club Norwich, the talk was that he needed somewhere he could be loved and would feel he belonged. That's what happened and boy did he repay the faith. But since the perceived falling out of love with the club and feeling unwanted, he appears a shadow of his previous self. And he talked in his signing interview about being wanted by Fulham.

It is a terrible financial deal. No question. After a year at Fulham he will only have one year left on his contract and will be far less saleable. Strikers with one good Championship season have been going for absolutely crazy money and Martin has had three in a row. He's gone to a team in our division but if we were getting rid of him that was pretty much inevitable unless we could get Celtic to step in and persuade Chris to go. Perhaps we don't see Fulham as promotion rivals compared with other teams who we wouldn't have been prepared to sell to, so took this deal instead?

For the money Martin is best in the division at what he does, a great hold up striker who links the play with everyone else and who's a very good finisher with both feet, if not his head. He's bags of talent but not the quickest, but does have speed of thought. If we're moving him on then there's no point bringing in a Martin replacement. We've decided we're not going to play that way and so Vydra and Wilson will have to do the business with the other strikers already here. I will always love Chris Martin and he's been central to so many of the best moments of the last three (very good) years, but I do consider those years to have several significant moments of missed opportunity and failing to replace Martin if injured or out of form has cost us. So, I can see some logic in twisting and trying something new.

For years we thought we had a great midfield. What could be better in the Championship, seemingly, than Hughes, Bryson and Hendrick? And then we brought in George Thorne. And then we spent >£10m (in the days when that was a lot of money) on Johnson and Butterfield. We've sold Hendrik who I've always liked but it would be hard to call him an automatic choice, yet we got massive money for him. We still have five great senior central midfielders. I'm surprised I'm surprised that we didn't strengthen.

I've always thought good midfielders can adapt to different systems. That's the gamble. These five have until Christmas to prove that enough of them are good enough to make us credible challengers. If Will Hughes is as good as I've always thought he was then he has to step up and prove his talent. It's a huge season for him. We need a system that allows him to play further forward and damage the opposition.

We've only played five league games to date, but sadly the season will be at least a third gone before George Thorne is back in a Derby shirt. That's too late to redeem things if our form has continued in the same vein that we've begun the season in. I'd have gone for an established defensive midfielder from overseas but the moment has passed. I think the overall window has weakened us but it depends if we can adapt to a new method of playing. And that partly depends if it's clearer to the players than me as to what that new way of playing is meant to be.

I want it to be high powered, high intensity football, pressing high up the pitch, surging forward at breakneck speed at every opportunity and swift confident forward-thinking passing throughout the team. I've not seen any of that so far. But we have more points now than coming into last season's early international break and were still able to top the table by Christmas. It was a first league win that built confidence and for a while we didn't look back (at least in terms of results). A win over Newcastle could do the same.

Prophetic stuff as always from Mr S. Excellent content my friend. I would only take issue on the assumption that Martin only having one year remaining on his contract will drastically reduce his value. We have to wait to see how he gets on at Fulham. Could be just what the doctor ordered for him to get firing again. If I recall from last season they had a prolific goal scorer in a pretty ordinary team. His value could yet increase. I wish him well, always liked him, his antics wound every other team up in the division. Glad he's on loan so he won't be playing against us. Well he shouldn't be....... Been the odd case in the past where a loaned player has been allowed to play against parent club. That wouldn't be nice at all:o

4 hours ago, SKRam said:

Prophetic stuff as always from Mr S. Excellent content my friend. I would only take issue on the assumption that Martin only having one year remaining on his contract will drastically reduce his value. We have to wait to see how he gets on at Fulham. Could be just what the doctor ordered for him to get firing again. If I recall from last season they had a prolific goal scorer in a pretty ordinary team. His value could yet increase. I wish him well, always liked him, his antics wound every other team up in the division. Glad he's on loan so he won't be playing against us. Well he shouldn't be....... Been the odd case in the past where a loaned player has been allowed to play against parent club. That wouldn't be nice at all:o

You're right that the single year on contract thing seems to matter less. Certainly Derby have always paid large fees, even when that was the case! I think of the likes of Blackman and Craig Fagan. Now I'm going to have to wash my hands having typed that second name. A fee of £750k up front and a further £750k on promotion for the one of the most useless players ever to wear the shirt and with about 5 months of his contract left...

Very good transfer window, in my view? Why because we needed more pace and we needed to move the ball quicker, we only scored one goal in five games, so the signings of Vydra, Anya and Wilson ticks all the boxes we needed,  and we Also made in profit , in my view bringing in better players to play the Pearson way, a change was needed, and I think the change will work, can not wait for the Newcastle game now.

I was a big Chris Martin fan when McClaren was in charge and our tactics played to his strengths.  Since McClaren left the tactics have changed - not Martin's fault - and he has become a lot less effective. This was evident in his diminishing returns last season - in terms of goals scored, chances created and overall performances.  I enjoyed watching him under McClaren and I wish him well this season but I am not upset he has gone.  Last season he was not the 20+ goals a season striker people call him on here and I don't think he would have been again.

Made a small net profit, trimmed the squad a little, got rid of a trouble maker, might be a little better in regards to FFP as well

added pace and improved on the youth players being added into the main squad

overall it was a good window for us, its gonna take time, its not going to happen this season but we'll see slow progression and improvement, and we'll be doing it within a budget, and slowly but surely we'll see a TEAM!!! grow under NP. 

7 minutes ago, Bridgford Ram said:

I was a big Chris Martin fan when McClaren was in charge and our tactics played to his strengths.  Since McClaren left the tactics have changed - not Martin's fault - and he has become a lot less effective. This was evident in his diminishing returns last season - in terms of goals scored, chances created and overall performances.  I enjoyed watching him under McClaren and I wish him well this season but I am not upset he has gone.  Last season he was not the 20+ goals a season striker people call him on here and I don't think he would have been again.

He created more chances from open play than any other player in the division 

3 hours ago, DCFCArmy said:

Made a small net profit, trimmed the squad a little, got rid of a trouble maker, might be a little better in regards to FFP as well

added pace and improved on the youth players being added into the main squad

overall it was a good window for us, its gonna take time, its not going to happen this season but we'll see slow progression and improvement, and we'll be doing it within a budget, and slowly but surely we'll see a TEAM!!! grow under NP. 

That's a strange comment. Do you mean Granty, Hendrick, Martin, Bucko, Albentosa, Sammon, Warnock...? I've not heard of any of them having a bad attitude.

On 3 September 2016 at 01:29, Carl Sagan said:

Great post!

Best rationalisation of seen of moving Martin on and why those replacements are of a different style.

The point about Hughes is spot on too. He needs unleashing like he was in the second leg against Hull. He terrorised them with his intent to get into the box. He just ran through players and picked out passes like Hull were playing with 6 players. Get that Will Hughes playing and build a midfield around that!

Archived