Weimann and Bent

Ramdale

I was astonished after Pre Season to hear so many fans calling for Bent to be included in the starting 11 instead of Chris Martin. Such short memories. Chris Martin is proven at this level and makes us a better team when he is on the field. Darren Bent isnt good enough and hasnt been for 2 years, yet after 3 goals in pre season, all of a sudden people are happy with him starting?? Darren Bent offers nothing in a game of football except poaching in the box. We are a poor side when he is on the pitch as he is very poor in the run of play. 2 seasons ago when Martin got injured, our record was patheic. Its no surprise we were better at Preston when Martin returned as there was a focal point to play through and get others involved. I would personally sell Bent (if any takers) as his wages are astronomical and he he has lost that yard of pace he had when scoring goals in the Premier League.

This brings me to Weimann. I am sick of reading threads where people are banking on him making a big difference to the side when he returns. The lad wasnt anywhere near good enough the whole of last season and yet suddenly afetr a decent first half at Hull in the playoffs, all of a sudden he is good enough?? It is so evident to see all year that he lacks quality, end product and has one of the worst first touches I have ever seen in a Derby shirt. He is nowehere near as good as Ince or Russell and the fact we need to upgrade in these areas means Weimann should not even be in the conversation.

All in all 2 very poor signings by the club, however it is the short sightedness of Derby fans which beggars belief to me. We defnitely need to add quality to this squad to get promoted as has been clear to see with our struggle to break teams down.

Weimann, Bent, Johnson should be the first players out of the door as all are earning too much money and not good enough to take us where we want to go.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Ramdale said:

I was astonished after Pre Season to hear so many fans calling for Bent to be included in the starting 11 instead of Chris Martin. Such short memories. Chris Martin is proven at this level and makes us a better team when he is on the field. Darren Bent isnt good enough and hasnt been for 2 years, yet after 3 goals in pre season, all of a sudden people are happy with him starting?? Darren Bent offers nothing in a game of football except poaching in the box. We are a poor side when he is on the pitch as he is very poor in the run of play. 2 seasons ago when Martin got injured, our record was patheic. Its no surprise we were better at Preston when Martin returned as there was a focal point to play through and get others involved. I would personally sell Bent (if any takers) as his wages are astronomical and he he has lost that yard of pace he had when scoring goals in the Premier League.

This brings me to Weimann. I am sick of reading threads where people are banking on him making a big difference to the side when he returns. The lad wasnt anywhere near good enough the whole of last season and yet suddenly afetr a decent first half at Hull in the playoffs, all of a sudden he is good enough?? It is so evident to see all year that he lacks quality, end product and has one of the worst first touches I have ever seen in a Derby shirt. He is nowehere near as good as Ince or Russell and the fact we need to upgrade in these areas means Weimann should not even be in the conversation.

All in all 2 very poor signings by the club, however it is the short sightedness of Derby fans which beggars belief to me. We defnitely need to add quality to this squad to get promoted as has been clear to see with our struggle to break teams down.

Weimann, Bent, Johnson should be the first players out of the door as all are earning too much money and not good enough to take us where we want to go.

Maybe the manager would like to work with them to see if he can get performances out of them before he casts them adrift.

13 minutes ago, Ramdale said:

Put the pitchfork down and back slowly away

2 minutes ago, cannable said:

I know I've been massively critical of his signing (didn't fit the team at the time) but  if the opportunity ever arises I'd give him a chance in a front pairing.

Worse strikers have netted 25+ in this division. 

Like that Irish fella that played for Wolves. Garbage player that did alright really. Doyle? I wanna say Doyle.

And Danny Graham. What a pooh player. 

So long as Pearson has stability with 8 or 9 players every week he can bring Luke Moor back for a trial for the harm it would do

Not sure what the connection is between the two players? Bent a good poacher in the right circumstances but I don't think that he is the solution to our current conundrum of the best forward running on. 

Weimann is much younger and could have a role because of his speed. People forget he played quite well early last season for us as well as late - Hull away both times - not just the second one. I think his positional understanding isn't great but there is potential there for him to link up more with Martin. 

Worst touch in a Derby shirt?He'd be a long way back in that particular queue!

The pre-season games that I saw both looked sharp. Bent hasn't delivered against the better opposition in the league but let's see what Weimann can do when he gets back before condemning him.

1 hour ago, Ramdale said:

Don't wish to be a pedant- but how do you know what they earn?

B o l l o x!!

57 minutes ago, angieram said:

Not sure what the connection is between the two players? Bent a good poacher in the right circumstances but I don't think that he is the solution to our current conundrum of the best forward running on. 

Weimann is much younger and could have a role because of his speed. People forget he played quite well early last season for us as well as late - Hull away both times - not just the second one. I think his positional understanding isn't great but there is potential there for him to link up more with Martin. 

The pre-season games that I saw both looked sharp. Bent hasn't delivered against the better opposition in the league but let's see what Weimann can do when he gets back before condemning him.

The connection is Villa and they both have Johnson's.

You are me and we claim our £5

Spot on agree with that about time some one said it as it is 

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Weimann is much younger and could have a role because of his speed. People mistakenly think he played quite well early last season for us as well as late purely based on Hull away both times - not just the second one. I think his positional understanding isn't great but there is potential there for him to link up more with Martin. 

FTFY

Easy to lay into Bent when he hardly had a sniff last season,bringing him on once in a blue moon when the team were struggling with ten mins to play expecting him what to score a hat trick?

Am not saying hes the answer or deserves automatic 1st team football, and indeed he probably pro rota is on a good screw with the club?But thats hardly his fault .

Weinmann has shown he his capable, although not set the division on fire as we had perhaps hoped or expected when he signed,but hardly a disaster and again not given a good run of games last season,so again think your comments are harsh.

Think Others including Mel have been more detremental to performances at the club since these two arrived,and until we have a suitable capable striker to rival Martin these two give us options.

Archived