James Wilson

Cam the Ram

20 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

He's going to fit right in here. Those comments could apply to so many in our squad.

Haha. He's young though, he's very good for his age and I'm sure he'll develop into a good player. I remember being rather underwhelmed by Lingard too and he's doing alright for himself now. 

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, SimonBHA said:

Haha. He's young though, he's very good for his age and I'm sure he'll develop into a good player. I remember being rather underwhelmed by Lingard too and he's doing alright for himself now. 

Yeah, tell us about it... I personally think Lingard wasn't all that motivated by Championship football and the top flight inspired him a lot more. Can't say for sure though obviously, just a theory. Can't possibly know what a young player is thinking in the vital stages of their development and how the pressure can make them struggle. Certainly relevant in relation to what you say about Wilson seeming to be knackered all the time and seeming to go missing.

Good signing. Forget his previous stats I think, he's clearly got talent. 

7 hours ago, SimonBHA said:

He's got some talent for sure but he went missing a lot during games. It was almost like he was only involved when someone gave him the ball. There didn't appear to be a huge desire to work for the team and go and win the ball back and make something happen. He's young though and that's not uncommon, it's a bit of a jump from U21s football to the Championship. He also looked like he was unwell and knackered all the time. He's not a bad player and he has it in him to make something happen and he's got some decent striking instincts but he was probably a bit too much of a passenger. 

Darren Bent 2.0

6 hours ago, Tombo said:

Yeah, tell us about it... I personally think Lingard wasn't all that motivated by Championship football and the top flight inspired him a lot more. Can't say for sure though obviously, just a theory. Can't possibly know what a young player is thinking in the vital stages of their development and how the pressure can make them struggle. Certainly relevant in relation to what you say about Wilson seeming to be knackered all the time and seeming to go missing.

Good signing. Forget his previous stats I think, he's clearly got talent. 

Chris Martin is another example - before he got a permanent transfer to us and someone showed a bit of faith he was lost and out of sorts for a good while at both his own club and on loans.

9 hours ago, SimonBHA said:

He's got some talent for sure but he went missing a lot during games. It was almost like he was only involved when someone gave him the ball. There didn't appear to be a huge desire to work for the team and go and win the ball back and make something happen. He's young though and that's not uncommon, it's a bit of a jump from U21s football to the Championship. He also looked like he was unwell and knackered all the time. He's not a bad player and he has it in him to make something happen and he's got some decent striking instincts but he was probably a bit too much of a passenger. 

Can't see him getting away with not working hard here...

Wasnt keen on this deal before it happened but hey ho he is here now so will give him full support. Alongside rumours of yedlin loan deal.... hopefully these 2 will have same impact as previous double loan signings bamford and wisdom did.... just need our george thorne loan signing 2016 version and we will be set..... COYR 

Seems like a baffling signing to me.  I've not seen enough of him to know whether he's any good or not, so I won't comment on that.  But from what I have seen, and what the Brighton fans have said, he's another Darren Bent type player - pacy, hangs on the last man's shoulder, but contributes nothing to the rest of the game.  So in that case, where is he going to play?  If Pearson wants to carry on with this direct, get it forwards quickly, football, then he'll either get balls lumped to him that he won't be able to deal with, or we'll be lumping balls up to the other forwards who also can't deal with it, so he'll get no service.  If we switch back to possession-based football, he can't play up front on his own, so he'll get stuck out wide and it'll be Bamford all over again - he'll score a few, but harm the team shape so much that he'll end up on the bench.  

If we want to play direct football, we need a big physical striker that can deal with long balls, not another pacy striker that contributes nothing to open play.  Looks to me like we're carrying on our recent tradition of signing players without any thought as to how they play, or how they are going to be used.

2 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Seems like a baffling signing to me.  I've not seen enough of him to know whether he's any good or not, so I won't comment on that. 

That's the quickest contradiction in a post I've ever seen.

4 minutes ago, Srg said:

That's the quickest contradiction in a post I've ever seen.

It's not remotely contradictory. He can be the best player in the world, but if he doesn't fit the way were trying to play, and we can't provide him any service, he's a complete waste of a signing.

9 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

It's not remotely contradictory. He can be the best player in the world, but if he doesn't fit the way were trying to play, and we can't provide him any service, he's a complete waste of a signing.

But you said you haven't seen enough of him, so how can you comment on what he can or can't do based on a what amounts to 13 games (in which he still scored 5 goals) in a completely different team with a different style of play? And who's to say what kind of system we might adopt to use him to his full potential?

Whether he'll be any good or not, none of us really knows, but to question it to this extent without giving the guy a chance is just stupid.

We've had signings nobody questioned who turned out poorly, like Bradley Johnson, similarly, we've had signings people questioned who turned out very well, like Chris Martin.

Let the lad play first.

1 minute ago, Srg said:

But you said you haven't seen enough of him, so how can you comment on what he can or can't do based on a what amounts to 13 games (in which he still scored 5 goals) in a completely different team?

Whether he'll be any good or not, none of us really knows, but to question it to this extent without giving the guy a chance is just stupid.

We've had signings nobody questioned who turned out poorly, like Bradley Johnson, similarly, we've had signings people questioned who turned out very well, like Chris Martin.

Let the lad play first.

You need a hell of a lot less games to see what type of player a player is, than to see whether he's any good or not.  And every thing I've seen, and the Brighton and Man Utd fans who've seen him a lot more, says he's a pacy finisher and nothing else.  And that's just not the type of player we need right now.  He's not going to grow 6 inches and build up a load of muscle in the next few weeks.

And for the record, I thought Bradley Johnson was going to be a bad signing, for pretty much the same reasons - we had no idea what we were going to do with him, but had the vague feeling we needed 'more physicality' so just went and signed someone who fit that bill without figuring out if he could actually play in the team we had.  It's summed up our transfer activity for the last 18 months.

24 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Seems like a baffling signing to me.  I've not seen enough of him to know whether he's any good or not, so I won't comment on that.  But from what I have seen, and what the Brighton fans have said, he's another Darren Bent type player - pacy, hangs on the last man's shoulder, but contributes nothing to the rest of the game.  So in that case, where is he going to play?  If Pearson wants to carry on with this direct, get it forwards quickly, football, then he'll either get balls lumped to him that he won't be able to deal with, or we'll be lumping balls up to the other forwards who also can't deal with it, so he'll get no service.  If we switch back to possession-based football, he can't play up front on his own, so he'll get stuck out wide and it'll be Bamford all over again - he'll score a few, but harm the team shape so much that he'll end up on the bench.  

If we want to play direct football, we need a big physical striker that can deal with long balls, not another pacy striker that contributes nothing to open play.  Looks to me like we're carrying on our recent tradition of signing players without any thought as to how they play, or how they are going to be used.

Can we get rid of this myth that Darren Bent is pacy? 

Genuinely think him v Martin would be the slowest sprint race to have ever happened. Pace is exactly what we need up front (not without technical ability though otherwise Sammon would suffice) and Wilson offers this! 

3 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Genuinely think him v Martin would be the slowest sprint race to have ever happened. Pace is exactly what we need up front (not without technical ability though otherwise Sammon would suffice) and Wilson offers this! 

But when we're lumping balls up to his head, what does pace matter? To support a striker like Wilson, you need to get creative players on the ball in the final third, to play through-balls for him to run onto.  And we just don't do that under Pearson - we get the ball forward as quickly as possible and then lose it.

6 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Sammons got more goals this season than our whole forward line and midfield combined lol

Archived