How to increase the volume

TomBustler1884

Tough one this. Agree that unreserved could be a way forwards as you would need to be in the ground early to get to the area the chanting goes on; just like in the vulcan at the BBG. Might be worth a call to Mel to find out if this would be feasible for next season. The club could plug a region of the stand which is a designated singing area. Imo this would work and would encourage fans to be in the ground early to get the best seats. The other option would be to have a partial unreserved area in the SS rather than the whole stand unreserved.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GeneralRam said:

I went to the game Saturday for the first time in about 2 years (At the back of the south stand) and I couldn't believe how awful the atmosphere had become. The football was crap, the atmosphere was crap and everything else about the day was just crap.

I don't even think a song managed to travel to the area where I was sitting, or at least I can't recall one.

We never took the lead on Saturday and the song "you only sing when you're winning" could not be more appropriate to most of the south stand. I'm in the south stand more towards the west stand and apart from a few of us, most stop singing pretty much after the whistle goes for kick off. The groaning kicks in around the 11th minute when we aren't 3-0 up.

mumblemumble

We really need to stop trying to create a fake atmosphere, besides how is raising a piece of card going to improve the atmosphere?

Just let it happen, if we're playing well and the game is exciting then the atmosphere will be there.

46 minutes ago, sage said:

Of course singing one of the 3-4 songs that everyone in the crowd knows and are appropriate for everyone to sing could help.

I have to disagree with this. Especially around me in the South Stand its full of young lads / blokes. Whether you agree or disagree with them (personal preference), the songs that get sung the most are the anti Forest's, anti Leeds, the good old fashioned rivalry songs with a bit of naughtiness about them. 1884 mentioned he see's a lot in the southstand that wont participate because its not seen as "cool". I cant knock the ones who try and make the atmosphere better, but the new song efforts from the meetings etc are happy clapper songs that sound like a verse from your local church. These will never take off. Bring back the good old fashioned naughty numbers!

25 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

What I don't understand is why all the focus is pointed to the SS. Why put all the cards in there on Saturday, why not put them in the East Stand and mix it up a bit. or put them in the North Stand where the family bit is, they are sure to be used by the children more than the adults.

Ask the club to turn the music down slightly for just before the teams come out so the crowd can start to build the atmosphere up. Personally I think Steve Bloomers watching has had its day and starts to slow the atmosphere down just when it needs cranking up.

Something Benfica did which I thought was good was include the opposite stand, for e.g. the East stand shouted 'BENFICA', and then it went to the West Stand 'BENFICA', and it was as if they was doing it to see which stand could do it the loudest. it was very good and got all supporters involved.

Was the drum there Saturday? maybe the drum needs to be floating around the ground like it used to be to get the crowd going. It's not difficult to get people involved but it needs to be well thought out. Each time we get a corner we should have something that the supporters all do to get the team going, something simple like 'COME ON DERBY, COME ON DERBY'. Instead of just a little clap to whoever is taking that corner.

Tbf, when we started, we thought the South would be the natural place to concentrate efforts, but maybe it's not.

The family stand is good, the kids love it, but we can't do a full stand display for example as you can never guarantee it will be full. The East Stand would be great, but it costs twice as much, takes ages to put out and we need closer to 30 people to help, and so far very few people have offered to get involved from the East Stand. We have been strongly advised not to look at the West Stand for flags. Normal flags will be back in the North for Villa. South we will leave I think.

Prematch music - it did get turned down for a few games last season but it was like a morgue so it went back up again.

Drum - Adam isnt paid to do it and is entitled to watch the match like everyone else so does it from his seat.

You asked about selling flags too. We are considering the idea of a shop, but we have to do that properly, we all have full time jobs, not sure we have enough time or capacity to commit to it fully yet.

46 minutes ago, NoLoRam said:

Good atmosphere comes from watching your team, scoring, winning or being (relatively) successful... NOT the other way round.

That's why United's fans have been the loudest for the past 25 years. 

It's why Boro's atmosphere last year was 10x better than the previous season.

It's why Palace's ground actually has people in it, a stark contrast to when they were in the championship.

I even heard people complimenting Leicester's atmosphere last season, which has GOT to be a first. 

Our atmosphere would have been great Saturday if we had won. AND it would have been even worse if got drubbed 3-0.

It's the same for every team. And a few flags (as great as it is of you to do all of this) wont change that.

Forest had an empty bit in their ground, moved like minded some fans in there, got some flags etc, the whole shebang. But It petered out because they are shyte. Though I'm sure the lower bridgford would quickly fill up and become loud, if they were to be top of the league around may. It's just the way it is.

nah, we were dire in the PL. Great atmospheres!

Unreserved seating is a no go unfortunately...

I know come Villa and Newcastle it will be bouncing and we will be discussing why this don't happen each week lol

One long standing issue for me that I keep pursuing the club with, and will again, is the location of the away fans. Only around 1000 odd in the South Stand can see the away fans when a low number is visiting. The away fans need to be more over to the East Side so the 4300 in the South Stand can see them so an exchange of songs can be done. When there is a full away end the atmosphere tends to be much better as opposed to Saturday as an example...

4 minutes ago, YouRams said:

I have to disagree with this. Especially around me in the South Stand its full of young lads / blokes. Whether you agree or disagree with them (personal preference), the songs that get sung the most are the anti Forest's, anti Leeds, the good old fashioned rivalry songs with a bit of naughtiness about them. 1884 mentioned he see's a lot in the southstand that wont participate because its not seen as "cool". I cant knock the ones who try and make the atmosphere better, but the new song efforts from the meetings etc are happy clapper songs that sound like a verse from your local church. These will never take off. Bring back the good old fashioned naughty numbers!

Ha! The fabled social videos! Execution of those videos was bad (my fault) but one of them is lifted from the video below, not sure this is a happy clapper song?? If my local church had songs like this I'd be there every week with my pyro!

The one we sang talks about ruling the Midlands, its hardly "if you're happy and you know it, clap your hands"

@mumblemumble - not trying to create anything fake, the flags took hours and hours of planning, some are designed, printed, put out, collected in, etc. I promise you none of it is fake. Just bringing something visual to the ground

I dream of a world with unreserved seating or standing would help no ends.

But the club has gone dowen the root of every other professional business in that they want details of every single customer. Even for recent reserve games or friendlies where numbers are low, they wont let you just go in for free qnd sit where you want. They inisist you have a ticket (even when its free) and you take your allocated place. They want that control.

Sad times of the modern world but thats the way  it is. Even in Germany with all its safe standiung, do you still have to stand in the place you are allocated, or is it sometimes unreserved... interesting question.

5 minutes ago, therams69 said:

I know come Villa and Newcastle it will be bouncing and we will be discussing why this don't happen each week lol

One long standing issue for me that I keep pursuing the club with, and will again, is the location of the away fans. Only around 1000 odd in the South Stand can see the away fans when a low number is visiting. The away fans need to be more over to the East Side so the 4300 in the South Stand can see them so an exchange of songs can be done. When there is a full away end the atmosphere tends to be much better as opposed to Saturday as an example...

Dare I suggest this to be complete baloney

For years and years BG asside, every club had its singining end and the away end was the opposite side of the groiund, and that is when the atmosphere at  every ground was superb. Songs would go back and forth across the ground. You didnt need this goading and small group of rude boys wanting to stand adjacent to away fans for entertainment.

It's a shame that the old way of raising the atmosphere to spur on the team has somehow died. That's what was meant by a ground being a fortress. The fans sang louder when the team were under the cosh. Now they just moan about us not playing like Brazil. 

The 1884 Group are doing an amazing job with volunteers (and I've been one) to make the ground better visually but the moaners have to get off their high horses and go back to being supporters to get the vocals back to where it should be. 

Frim where I sit in the East I look over and see a stand full of Rams shirts worn by people standing with their arms folded. It's a shame. 

46 minutes ago, YouRams said:

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/comprehension

You have failed to understand my post. I know many of the young lafs like to sing naughty songs. That is the point I was making. They are like Jeremy Corbyn supporters. Full of their own coolness but completely unable to engage the majority of the ground to actually make a difference.

2 hours ago, David said:

Blame @uttoxram75, was away galavanting in the North Stand so the whole atmosphere suffered as a result.

Mel has asked me to spend 15 minutes in each of the four stands during the next home game to help the atmosphere.

That leaves me the normal 30 minutes in the concourse to get a few songs going there as well.

27 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Dare I suggest this to be complete baloney

For years and years BG asside, every club had its singining end and the away end was the opposite side of the groiund, and that is when the atmosphere at  every ground was superb. Songs would go back and forth across the ground. You didnt need this goading and small group of rude boys wanting to stand adjacent to away fans for entertainment.

Whilst I agree with what you are saying we both know the 'fan culture' of the BBG is totally different to today hence why there are so many fan groups set up these days. You wouldn't have had that in the days of lads turning up after a few beers singing their hearts out as no need.

37 minutes ago, therams69 said:

You what !!!!!

ive already been moved once to accommodate the silent singers of the south stand. I'm sure you'd alienate more fans with another move just so you can see the fans.

35 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

I dream of a world with unreserved seating or standing would help no ends.

But the club has gone dowen the root of every other professional business in that they want details of every single customer. Even for recent reserve games or friendlies where numbers are low, they wont let you just go in for free qnd sit where you want. They inisist you have a ticket (even when its free) and you take your allocated place. They want that control.

Sad times of the modern world but thats the way  it is. Even in Germany with all its safe standiung, do you still have to stand in the place you are allocated, or is it sometimes unreserved... interesting question.

You are still allocated a space with safe standing.

Naturally I think safe standing would increase it as I guess most fans that are willing to stand are those fans that wish to create an atmosphere. We are still fighting for it to come to England, it will happen, it is just taking time. For now we will have to be embarrassed by Scotland.

Just now, FrostedRam said:

You what !!!!!

ive already been moved once to accommodate the silent singers of the south stand. I'm sure you'd alienate more fans with another move just so you can see the fans.

YOU WHAT YOU WHAT YOU WHAT YOU WHAT YOU WHAT .... Love that song!

Think you mis read that or maybe how I worded it .... The away fans are currently sold tickets from the South side round to the east side. I am saying flip it round and sell them from the East Side to the South side so the majority of the South Stand can see what the away fans are singing and visa versa.

2 minutes ago, therams69 said:

YOU WHAT YOU WHAT YOU WHAT YOU WHAT YOU WHAT .... Love that song!

Think you mis read that or maybe how I worded it .... The away fans are currently sold tickets from the South side round to the east side. I am saying flip it round and sell them from the East Side to the South side so the majority of the South Stand can see what the away fans are singing and visa versa.

Yep that makes more sense. Didn't realise they sold from a certain direction. When the away fans are closer to the east stand you do get a better atmosphere in that area. It seems to wake people up in that area 

Archived