How to increase the volume

TomBustler1884

The volume increased in my house this morning when I realised the club had levied a 5% admin fee on the bloody online ticket sale for Barnsley tickets. The fact I live over 100 miles away from Derby means I can't get to the ticket office so a £28 ticket suddenly becomes £29.50 (plus £1 for sending it in an envelope which opens along a perforation line the minute the bloody thing is put in the postbasket in Derby. I thought we had to pay more to speak to human beings so an extra £1.50 per ticket to book the things online seems a bit much to me. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, sage said:

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/comprehension

You have failed to understand my post. I know many of the young lafs like to sing naughty songs. That is the point I was making. They are like Jeremy Corbyn supporters. Full of their own coolness but completely unable to engage the majority of the ground to actually make a difference.

I understand your post, but if the aim is to get the South Stand as the noise stand, you play to your target audience which from looking around where I sit is mainly people that join in with the not so "nice" songs. If you want "everyone" involved you move the banners, flags, drum and songs everyone can join in with away from that stand.

3 minutes ago, YouRams said:

I understand your post, but if the aim is to get the South Stand as the noise stand, you play to your target audience which from looking around where I sit is mainly people that join in with the not so "nice" songs. If you want "everyone" involved you move the banners, flags, drum and songs everyone can join in with away from that stand.

The South Stand will sing more than any other stand but to create a really good atmosphere you need more than one stand singing. When all the stands are singing it's a different gravy.

1 hour ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Safe standing in the section next to the away fans and the volume will go up in that section and then it would be up to the rest of the ground to join in, so hopefully volume would then increase all round, a knock on domino effect. Some might say this is what the South Stand are trying to do and other stands just can't be @rsed.

I suppose it's always been a case of trying to replicate the noise Derby fans make when at away games and making the IPro a  ground with a great atmosphere that just doesn't have Derby fans talking and typing about it, but fans from all other teams around the world, and just like the football team you follow it's all about how much work you and I are prepared to put into the team you support.

If you can't be @rsed, your mates can't be @rsed, your club can't be @rsed then your eventually heading in the same direction as York City and the like. So well done to Nick, David and The 1884 Group and the like to give us all a wonderful platform to do so, but it's up to us lazy @rses to make a lot of positive noise to help our club to be able to compete with the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea, Leicester City, Man City, Celtic, Rangers, and the like in Britain, and then abroad be it the Milans, Madrid, Juventus, Bayern Munich, Dortmund and the like, where Derby County Fans can go and watch and have a fantastic sing song, a wonderful time and feel so proud that our football club are on the World Stage. If poxy Leicester City can do it, we can do it 10 times better, as long as you lot can be @rsed!

Agree with the key point in this which is the willingness of people to get involved. If it's simply not there or there aren't enough people in number then no amount of flags, banners, clackers (please God no!), megaphone stirring (please God no!) or other paraphernalia will change that. Although it's absolutely fantastic that fans like the 1884 group are really trying hard to address this and offer their time and effort free of charge. It's just human nature for the most part I think. Part how the team are playing during the game and part how technology is gradually changing how some fans 'consume' their football, often choosing to spend large parts of matches faffing about with them either recording stuff or whatever they do on them instead of getting involved and being engrossed in the game and the passion.

We can all point to away games as great sources of pride about how loud fans are but it's about transferring this to home games AND prolonging it REGARDLESS of what is going on out there on the pitch. At York for example they have a drummer behind the goal who despite desperately needing private percussion tuition does provide a catalyst for atmosphere explosion. However, this peters out after a minute or two and only returns again after some exciting play on the pitch. Great credit to the lad but it's pointless. You get this a lot. Atmosphere has to be belted out regardless of if the team are having a decent spell of pressure / chances so either bang it and sing most of the game or just leave it at home IMO. It's all about getting folk together who just want to drum, sing and encourage all of the game and if there aren't enough of these people then you'll get no atmosphere. A safe standing area all decked out like say at Dortmund would look incredible and those of the singing and dancing persuasion would be attracted to this area for sure.

Two things stick out in my mind about fan passion. Firstly I went to a Chesterfield v Aldershot night game a few years ago and the  100 or so Aldershot fans sang and drummed non stop for the first 45 minutes at least. They were 4-0 down at half time. They just went for it and what was happening on the pitch, although gutting for them i'm sure, didn't let it bother them. I'll always remember that. Secondly I always stood with the 30 or so travelling Torquay fans who wanted to sing at games and I remember starting a 'yellow army' chant at Wycombe and although I struggled with my breath we all managed it for about 20 minutes non stop, during which time Wycombe scored and we carried it on. It felt amazing because when the goal went in the disappointment was sensed around me but the support just kind of ignored the goal as if it never happened and carried on. It's hairs on neck sticking up time.

Obviously these were away games but when you think about it, home games should be even better because there are more of you but across the leagues they aren't. There is kind of a  comfort zone and familiarity when you are at home I think with fan behaviour and, even more so when your home happens to be a plush, luxurious, dare I say sanitised ground like the iPro and the seating has made this worse as well. Also the yoof of today obsessed with phone faffing when there is a lull in the game instead of digging in there when the chips are down and raising the players. The players raise us fans when they have a really good game so it's fair to help raise them when they're playing like subbuteo blokes.

I've never been to a Derby away league game so really looking forward to that this season and seeing what the atmosphere is like.

There is no easy fix and the way in which football is changing is also changing how fans approach games / behave at games which leads me to highlight 'therams69' excellent point earlier about 'fan culture' having changed which I totally agree with. All we can do is give the fan groups immense credit for giving up their time to try and make a difference and urge all fans to just get involved on and off the pitch as best they can. I was a drummer and singer in my lower league days up until last season in fact but I have chosen to take my kid to games now and so cannot really get involved in a more 'active' manner as I once could, plus I have a ST in the North Stand now but at away games once I have learned the songs and stuff then i'll be as good as the next bloke.

Also I know at games abroad when a player scores the PA bloke builds him up and shouts his first name and the fans have to shout his surname all together and it's done about 3 times. I like this.

1 hour ago, therams69 said:

I know come Villa and Newcastle it will be bouncing and we will be discussing why this don't happen each week lol

This comment is interesting Nick, has to be said. You've hit the nail on the head unfortunately. 

Those of you making excuses, I don't buy it. You're telling me good football is conducive to a good atmosphere? I agree with that, but if the last few seasons can't get your pride going for your team, nothing will. We win more than we lose, we're one of the better teams in the league, and we're competing at the top consistently. Its not as if we're rocking in midtable. So what is it? 

I go back to Nicks point. Come Villa and Newcastle nobody will be saying this. Is it the quality of opposition? Are we concluding that we can't get a good atmosphere unless we play 'bigger teams'. Would the atmosphere improve that much if we got promoted and were playing Arsenal and Man City and those various *******? If that's the case, come out and say it. Don't tell me it's anything to do with the players. Your support is unconditional. If you don't want to sing unless it's a big game, that's fine, you don't have to. But that's a lame excuse imo.

Can't blame the football on display,  we're spoiled rotten in that aspect. Anyone who was around pre-2013 will attest to how lucky we are now. Enjoy it, whether that means you're singing or not (because the truth is you don't have to if you don't want)  

step 1 - turn the music OFF 20 mins before KO

step 2 - shut the concourse bar(s) 20 mins before KO

step 3 - tell fans that they need to be in their seat 20 mins before KO.

That's how it was back in the golden days.

IMO, there is plenty of time before and after a game to get pissed, If you want atmosphere, take the focus away from beer and put it back on the event itself, watching football.

From experience in South Stand, the singers are too far spread out. I'm in a little group in the middle but we're surrounded by people who are somewhat apathetic to the whole singing malarkey which I often find unbelievably frustrating. 

What could work - and this could have safety issue problems - is have roaming singers with megaphones/drummers going up and down the aisles getting people going, to keep songs going so everyone gets a chance to get involved. I have no idea whether this would work, but sometimes the songs don't travel and some don't feel brave enough to get them started in their areas. If there were volunteers to go around banging a drum and shouting through a megaphone, it might heighten the atmosphere in general and make people feel less intimidated when starting a song.

Again, I understand that there could be safety issues and/or people will get annoyed about being told what to do, but those people may end up leaving the South Stand if they don't like it, hopefully being replaced by those that do. 

2 hours ago, therams69 said:

Unreserved seating is a no go unfortunately...

I know come Villa and Newcastle it will be bouncing and we will be discussing why this don't happen each week lol

One long standing issue for me that I keep pursuing the club with, and will again, is the location of the away fans. Only around 1000 odd in the South Stand can see the away fans when a low number is visiting. The away fans need to be more over to the East Side so the 4300 in the South Stand can see them so an exchange of songs can be done. When there is a full away end the atmosphere tends to be much better as opposed to Saturday as an example...

Spot on. Why, why, why, on Saturday, was there a huge gap between the away fans and the East stand? If, and I've no idea why anyone wants this, they have to be right next to home fans, it should be in the East stand. 

OK here is my take on it !

When we moved to south stand and away next to west stand we all stood next to away fans which make noise.

Then we took over the whole of the south and for some reason you make a singing block in the middle ?

Some of the big mouths like me moved again next to the away fans (on the mesh)which makes banter and noise

So in block D we try to sing the whole game because we are not allowed flags ! lol

we have the same 200 people starting songs in D which my the time its gets to the middle its over !

You can have as many flags,streamers etc but fact is we need more mouths.............

The only way to change the matter is to move the non singers out of Block D And E and move the one in the middle to join together next to away fans.This would give us 1000 hard core singers which would then carry on to the rest of the ground ish.

1st 10 or so minutes they was a bit of singing etc. After that Brighton seen much more of the ball and played the better football and kept it well. Hense the Brighton fans singing throughout most of the match after.

It's not rocket science really that if we play well and creating chances we're more likely to sing. Remember the last few seasons? 'We only sing when we're winning' sums us up to be fair.

11 minutes ago, stoneyram said:

Ps forget to say well to the 1884 for your efforts 

Keep up the good work lads

COME ON YOU RAMS ! 

Cheers Stoney, we might not be allowed to give you flags, but you got cards on Saturday!!

For the record, I agree that the South Stand needs a bit of shuffling around, it's just how you do it and whether the club is willing to take all the flak for it!

5 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Also I know at games abroad when a player scores the PA bloke builds him up and shouts his first name and the fans have to shout his surname all together and it's done about 3 times. I like this.

This. I absolutely love that, easy for people to get on board with as everyone (should) know the names of the players, and sounds great. Trouble is, we've got to score a goal for the announcer to read out the goalscorer's name, and immediately post-goal is the time when the stadium is often at its loudest anyway. However I agree it does sound great.

P.S. It could be just because I don't speak French, but at the Euros I thought everybody in the stadium yelling "Giroud" or "Greizmann" sounded cool because they're cool, sexy, foreign names. Not sure how good it would sound with loads of us just yelling "MARTIN". Sounds like we're trying to get the attention of a fellow who enjoys birdwatching.

12 minutes ago, Howard Canitbé said:

This. I absolutely love that, easy for people to get on board with as everyone (should) know the names of the players, and sounds great. Trouble is, we've got to score a goal for the announcer to read out the goalscorer's name, and immediately post-goal is the time when the stadium is often at its loudest anyway. However I agree it does sound great.

P.S. It could be just because I don't speak French, but at the Euros I thought everybody in the stadium yelling "Giroud" or "Greizmann" sounded cool because they're cool, sexy, foreign names. Not sure how good it would sound with loads of us just yelling "MARTIN". Sounds like we're trying to get the attention of a fellow who enjoys birdwatching.

Just shout out our players names but put on mock French twangs then like HENDREEEEEEEEK, CAHR -SONNE, RUSS-ELLE, SHACK-ELLE, MAHRTEEEEEEEN, and so on and so forth. Be a laugh. :thumbsup:

54 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Just shout out our players names but put on mock French twangs then like HENDREEEEEEEEK, CAHR -SONNE, RUSS-ELLE, SHACK-ELLE, MAHRTEEEEEEEN, and so on and so forth. Be a laugh. :thumbsup:

If Cahrsonne does manage to score for us that really would be a French-accent occasion!

8 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

It's a shame that the old way of raising the atmosphere to spur on the team has somehow died. That's what was meant by a ground being a fortress. The fans sang louder when the team were under the cosh. Now they just moan about us not playing like Brazil. 

The 1884 Group are doing an amazing job with volunteers (and I've been one) to make the ground better visually but the moaners have to get off their high horses and go back to being supporters to get the vocals back to where it should be. 

Frim where I sit in the East I look over and see a stand full of Rams shirts worn by people standing with their arms folded. It's a shame. 

Myself I would rather stand with half the amount of Derby fans who sing their hearts out instead of having a full stadium makes no sense to me why fans don't get behind the team then they moan about the atmosphere get bloody involved and make it things happen 

35 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Don't think he's likely to get the ball over the half way line, without it going for a throw in. 

Saw Carson for the first time on Saturday and I was surprised at just how many times he either kicked it to nobody or out of play under no pressure. Is this the norm for him then? Not having a pop at Carson just surprised at the frequency of basic errors like that for an ex international Championship goalkeeper. Maybe he was just a bit ring rusty with it being a new season and all.

6 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Saw Carson for the first time on Saturday and I was surprised at just how many times he either kicked it to nobody or out of play under no pressure. Is this the norm for him then? Not having a pop at Carson just surprised at the frequency of basic errors like that for an ex international Championship goalkeeper. Maybe he was just a bit ring rusty with it being a new season and all.

You should have seen Butland when he was here! In fairness, that was unusual for Carson. 

Archived