Johnny Russell

North_Stand_Ram

As much as I love JR's effort, he doesn't off much in the way of end product, either, crossing, shooting, scoring. 

If we get any offer above £2m we should sell him imho - controversial, but we are massively oversubscribed in midfield players and any transfer fee could be better spent. 

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Purpleram said:

You can twist or quote statistics all you like, but I prefer to watch the game and make my own mind up. 

If we are after promotion then he ain't good enough. Whatever you think of Ince, if Pearson can get similar effort out of him as JR gives, the net results will be massive.

JR is bang average and he tries really hard, so he probably can't improve. Ince is class but hasn't the same work ethic as JR, IMO the skys the limit for Ince, if he wants it enough.

But who do we replace him with? It's all well and good to keep saying he isn't good enough for a team chasing promotion, but who's out there that's better and is a realistic option?

7 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

But who do we replace him with? It's all well and good to keep saying he isn't good enough for a team chasing promotion, but who's out there that's better and is a realistic option?

That's not my job. IMO we have two at the club in Weiman and Ince.

But if there isn't a better player available somewhere in the world of football, then I'm a Norwegian.

2 minutes ago, Purpleram said:

But if there isn't a better player available somewhere in the world of football, then I'm a Norwegian.

Yes, let's get rid and gamble on a Camara or 4 and see how that pans out.

JR runs into dead ends and is *****, Keogh repeats himself and is *****, Martin is fat and *****, Bent is permanently offside and *****, Olsson cant defend and is *****, Hendrick is just *****, Ince drifts in and out of games and is *****, Thorne is permanently injured and *****, Weimann is non existent for large parts and *****, Shacks is a crab and can only pass sideways and *****, Lee Grant dropped a ball once and is *****, Butterfield runs in slow motion and *****, Blackman is bambi and *****, did I miss anyone out?

Its fun supporting the rams :whistle:

Just now, Purpleram said:

It's not your job to decide Russell isn't good enough either, but you've come to that conclusion.

Of course there's better players out there than Russell, but realistically we'd be looking at a fellow Championship winger, or a Premier League winger who's not first choice at his current club (unless we looked abroad again but then hasn't gone well lately). Not many outperformed Russell last season statistically in the Championship and yes, I know you said, "you can twist or quote statistics all you like, but I prefer to watch the game and make my own mind up," but you've surely not watched every other Championship game to know which wingers would be better for us than Russell. And if we did instead sign a winger who's not first choice from the Premier League, then we're signing a player judged not good enough for the Prem who would also probably need to be replaced should we go up.

1 hour ago, Purpleram said:

I know he has a mass of fans behind him but I can't see, for the life of me, what people see in him. Odd flashes of ok-ness aside.

I like the guy, but I don't think he's fantastic. He's a good squad player and I would be upset if he went at any price.

14 minutes ago, Purpleram said:

I can't believe how blinkered and used to mediocrity we have become.

Most people on here know I'm not a massive Johnny Russell fan, but the exception I'm taking is more the fact you think we can just pick up someone better for less or equal money from out of nowhere, like there's absolutely no risk whatsoever of them being worse.

And regardless of anyone's judgment on Johnny's ability, I think it's clear he's great for team spirit.

3 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

It's not your job to decide Russell isn't good enough either, but you've come to that conclusion.

Of course there's better players out there than Russell, but realistically we'd be looking at a fellow Championship winger, or a Premier League winger who's not first choice at his current club (unless we looked abroad again but then hasn't gone well lately). Not many outperformed Russell last season statistically in the Championship and yes, I know you said, "you can twist or quote statistics all you like, but I prefer to watch the game and make my own mind up," but you've surely not watched every other Championship game to know which wingers would be better for us than Russell. And if we did instead sign a winger who's not first choice from the Premier League, then we're signing a player judged not good enough for the Prem who would also probably need to be replaced should we go up.

No it's not my job, it's my opinion, on an opinion based forum. Slightly odd perspective old bean if I may say so.

Even odder is to imagine that in all four leagues (or below) there isn't a better player available. I might grudgingly concede that if we were skint, but wouldn't be convinced, but we are relatively flush.

God we have become complacent and used to average players.

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

Most people on here know I'm not a massive Johnny Russell fan, but the exception I'm taking is more the fact you think we can just pick up someone better for less or equal money from out of nowhere, like there's absolutely no risk whatsoever of them being worse.

And regardless of anyone's judgment on Johnny's ability, I think it's clear he's great for team spirit.

When did I say that?, I think Russells worth about 0.5 million. I would sell him for that.

If the £2mill quoted by the odd fantasist is correct I would be amazed and over the moon.

Perhaps we should sign the Chuckle Brothers, he would be great for team spirit. 

2 minutes ago, Purpleram said:

When did I say that?, I think Russells worth about 0.5 million. I would sell him for that.

If the £2mill quoted by the odd fantasist is correct I would be amazed and over the moon.

Perhaps we should sign the Chuckle Brothers, he would be great for team spirit. 

Whether you think he's worth £500k or not, the absolute fact of it is, there's no way we would sell for that because that's the market. And now you're just being facetious rendering any debate pointless.

4 minutes ago, Srg said:

Whether you think he's worth £500k or not, the absolute fact of it is, there's no way we would sell for that because that's the market. And now you're just being facetious rendering any debate pointless.

You started it

9 minutes ago, Purpleram said:

No it's not my job, it's my opinion, on an opinion based forum. Slightly odd perspective old bean if I may say so.

Even odder is to imagine that in all four leagues (or below) there isn't a better player available. I might grudgingly concede that if we were skint, but wouldn't be convinced, but we are relatively flush.

You have become spoilt sir, any team in this league would take JR, even the highly regarded Newcastle for his work rate alone. 

JR has done nothing wrong during his time at this club and it amazes me every time how it is our best players who seem to get stick, (Keogh, Ince, Martin, Russell etc etc).

Can't wait for him to have a good game tomorrow!

1 hour ago, Purpleram said:

I know he has a mass of fans behind him but I can't see, for the life of me, what people see in him. Odd flashes of ok-ness aside.

Whilst he certainly isn't a world beater, he is one of the better wingers in the division, and to say that he has odd flashes of ok-ness is certainly over emphasising your dislike for the player. Like I have said before, think of the best goals we have scored since he has been here and he has easily 3-4 goals in the top 10. That certainly wouldn't happen with a player that is poor and is only ok at times.

I hope your right, I hope he has the season to end all seasons, I will be the first to say that the manager has turned his occasional turns of good into a consistent performer.

if you think anyone, least of all Newcastle, would sign a player on work rate alone then my flabber is truly ghasted.

55 minutes ago, Purpleram said:

You can twist or quote statistics all you like, but I prefer to watch the game and make my own mind up. 

If we are after promotion then he ain't good enough. Whatever you think of Ince, if Pearson can get similar effort out of him as JR gives, the net results will be massive.

JR is bang average and he tries really hard, so he probably can't improve. Ince is class but hasn't the same work ethic as JR, IMO the skys the limit for Ince, if he wants it enough.

I would suggest that watching and making your own mind up may be somewhat unreliable... People are biased by thier own viewpoints and will naturally discount things they don't agree with (in this case anything JR does right) and only remember the things which support their view...

This is why stats are useful... There have been many times I've been proved wrong by them... I always assumed Hughesy wasn't a tackler... But the stats prove otherwise...

I fear though that you are too entrenched in your opinion to have any perspective on it though...

And if stats can be spun to say anything then... As I have challenged to a few people recently... Back up your statements with a few... If you have support to your statements we're more likely to consider your arguments...

7 minutes ago, Purpleram said:

You gave an opinion on Russell not being good enough, so I asked for an opinion from you on who we could replace him with who's better and a realistic option.

Maybe some fans like myself are being complacent, but maybe fans like yourself are insatiable. We have a winger who has off days like every winger does in this league, but is fantastic for team spirit, chips in with a decent number of goals and assists and always works his socks off. We could offload him and try and find a realistic option that's better, but he's outperformed the last 3 wingers we've signed, Razza, Blackman and Weimann (4 in you include Johnson) who we all expected to be an improvement on him. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Archived