Johnny Russell

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Purpleram said:

In his own words he had a terrible season, honestly I'm not a hater, just can't see what he has done to deserve this adoration.

Again I say bang average.

And yet he had a direct hand in 21 goals! 

As I said in my most recent post, some players, despite whatever faults try may posses, are effective. 

32 minutes ago, Purpleram said:

No it's not my job, it's my opinion, on an opinion based forum. Slightly odd perspective old bean if I may say so.

Even odder is to imagine that in all four leagues (or below) there isn't a better player available. I might grudgingly concede that if we were skint, but wouldn't be convinced, but we are relatively flush.

God we have become complacent and used to average players.

Do average fans deserve average players?

Coming on here is getting pretty depressing lately for me. 

A new season starts tomorrow, I log in to read of optimism, positivity and excitement and I find the 3 Amigos slating Keogh, another appealing for an end to Martin bashing and this one having a pop at Russell.

Being a supporter has sure changed since I was a Popsider. 

1 minute ago, EastHertsRam said:

Coming on here is getting pretty depressing lately for me. 

A new season starts tomorrow, I log in to read of optimism, positivity and excitement and I find the 3 Amigos slating Keogh, another appealing for an end to Martin bashing and this one having a pop at Russell.

Being a supporter has sure changed since I was a Popsider. 

Well he started it.......oh no, he's already beat me to that!

This is laughable, I'm asked to prove an opinion that has to be subjective unless the figures speak for themselves (which they don't).

I'm not a proper fan because I don't think the sun shines out of a players Arris.

An opinion on a forum....God forbid!

We have spent a fortune, fans have relatively, Mel has actually. I think the standard should be higher than Johnny. 

2 minutes ago, Purpleram said:

This is laughable, I'm asked to prove an opinion that has to be subjective unless the figures speak for themselves (which they don't).

Yes you are... We give you some stats which suggest your opinion may be unfairly biased... And you have stated that stats can be made to say anything...

So... Give us some stats which backup your opinion... It's not a difficult challenge... You can find opta stats from about 10 different sites with a quick google search... I personally use whoscored... 

21 minutes ago, Purpleram said:

I'm not a proper fan because I don't think the sun shines out of a players Arris.

We have spent a fortune, fans have relatively, Mel has actually. I think the standard should be higher than Johnny. 

Unfortunately that's the nature of this forum, you are daring to question a players ability on a forum, and therefore you should be hung drawn and quartered.  

Next you will have the old farts abusing you for not being a true fan and you are the reason why we didn't get promoted for the last 4 seasons.

For what it's worth, Russell is not my favourite player I think he loses the ball to often and often makes the wrong decisions, however he is on his day effective at this level and I would rather have him in my squad than selling him to a rival.

29 minutes ago, Purpleram said:

What players should we signing of a higher standard, in your opinion? What players for other teams impress you? What is the baseline we are working with?

You have said a numerous times that he isn't good enough but you haven't said who or what is good enough. What are your expectations for a wide man that plays for a top 6 championship team?

The debate gets boring and repetitive when all is being offered is he is bang average, occasional ok-Ness and when asked who we should replace him with all that is offered is it's not my job. And you wonder why people get frustrated?

4 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Unfortunately that's the nature of this forum, you are daring to question a players ability on a forum, and therefore you should be hung drawn and quartered.  

Next you will have the old farts abusing you for not being a true fan and you are the reason why we didn't get promoted for the last 4 seasons.

For what it's worth, Russell is not my favourite player I think he loses the ball to often and often makes the wrong decisions, however he is on his day effective at this level and I would rather have him in my squad than selling him to a rival.

Or just being asked to back up your views with some evidence?

What is it these days with people thinking evidence is a worthless thing? In a day and age where there is more and more data available for everything there seems to be this great rush by everyone to just say "Yeh well those are just numbers and I don't care what they say"...

I am a HUGE believer in one opinion being worth exactly the same as another... But you can back up an opinion to show that is has an actual basis in something other than conjecture... 

3 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Or just being asked to back up your views with some evidence?

What is it these days with people thinking evidence is a worthless thing? In a day and age where there is more and more data available for everything there seems to be this great rush by everyone to just say "Yeh well those are just numbers and I don't care what they say"...

I am a HUGE believer in one opinion being worth exactly the same as another... But you can back up an opinion to show that is has an actual basis in something other than conjecture... 

Not really, stats may your thing however a lot of people, me included prefer to judge a player the old fashioned way.  I could pick any winger who played in the championship last year and say that they would have provided more assists and goals than JR last season had they played in the Derby team instead of him, have you got any stats that could disapprove that? 

12 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Not really, stats may your thing however a lot of people, me included prefer to judge a player the old fashioned way.  I could pick any winger who played in the championship last year and say that they would have provided more assists and goals than JR last season had they played in the Derby team instead of him, have you got any stats that could disapprove that? 

In that hypothetical no it's not possible to disprove...

However ignoring a facet of modern life and modern football in order to support an argument seems a little short sighted... I also use the evidence of what I see... AND add stats to that... Plus listening to what managers, coaches and pundits have to say...

It's too often quoted but have you read or seen Moneyball? The fact that since then pretty much all top football clubs now employ a statistical team who's entire job is to analyse the stats of the squad and the opposition suggests it's become ever more important in the modern game... Also try "The Numbers Game" by Chris Anderson and David Sally... fascinating read and busts a lot of myths about football...

If Johnny Russell were to put his feet in a freezer and simultaneously his head in an oven would he on average be a comfortable temperature l wonder? Stats my arse. Football is played on grass, not on computers. And no Batman l don't want to get involved in a debate. You and your chum Robbie can perhaps mull it over.

12 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I agree, I watch football and have an opinion about the style of play. Last season we would more often than not dominate possession and not have a shot on target. Go figure.

Again my opinion is that there are better players out there than Russell. I don't know about what we have to spend but an example might be Mahrez cost almost half as much as Russell.

10 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

In that hypothetical no it's not possible to disprove...

However ignoring a facet of modern life and modern football in order to support an argument seems a little short sighted... I also use the evidence of what I see... AND add stats to that... Plus listening to what managers, coaches and pundits have to say...

It's too often quoted but have you read or seen Moneyball? The fact that since then pretty much all top football clubs now employ a statistical team who's entire job is to analyse the stats of the squad and the opposition suggests it's become ever more important in the modern game... Also try "The Numbers Game" by Chris Anderson and David Sally... fascinating read and busts a lot of myths about football...

Money all is a very good film, however I'll still maintain that for me judging a players football abilities is based upon what I see on the pitch not on a piece of paper or screen.  Just my view and I'll leave it at that :-)

Archived