Johnny Russell

North_Stand_Ram

9 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

What is your definition of end product?

Good cross as he plays on the wing therefore it would be nice to put a decent ball in or two. Good on the ball and vision. He gives the ball away too much either by running into defenders or just misplacing passes in tight situations. Surely this is where we lack when it matters 

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be extremely difficult to replace Russell, no question about it. He's in the top 10 for assists and top 25 for goals in the division. When people talk about end product, what are you expecting? We would be up against it to find a suitable replacement that would better him last season.

I do think he could be replaced and definitely has a price on his head. I would however much rather keep Russell than Hendrick, especially given the balance our squad. 

Russell has been excellent for us, the price we paid was relatively small and he has always earned his money either being successful at what achieves - goals assists and winning free kicks etc plus generally unsettling opponents if some of the other players showed as much throughout the season we would be a heck of a team. If we sold him to another championship team we would effectively be hurting ourselves, I think we will need him this year as the better squads will prove to be vital.

I'd say plenty of players have given what he's given.

Goal assists... well he's in the final third for most the game. He takes a good number of set pieces. If he's not assisting and scoring sometimes then he's useless

Unsettling opponents?  Depends if you mean his defensive work. Because yes defensively I'd have to agree he's very good.

And on the counter attack he's also good at giving opponents something to be wary of.

Like I've said, I wouldn't sell him. But running around a lot isn't caring more than other players. Some players have to run around to make up where they're lacking. My dog would run around a lot and he doesn't care about Derby. 

The reverse argument for for me would be if Russell showed as much quality as other players throughout the season then we'd be one heck of a team. 

Players know what they can offer. And like any of us in any line of work you expect others to do their bit. If everyone does their bit then you can do what you're good at.

That's how a team should work. You don't need 11 blokes running themselves into the ground and kissing the badge. You match people up to compliment each other. 

I hate that so many people measure effort and passion with running. Not every role requires Mo Farah

4 hours ago, Alpha said:

I'd say plenty of players have given what he's given.

Goal assists... well he's in the final third for most the game. He takes a good number of set pieces. If he's not assisting and scoring sometimes then he's useless

Unsettling opponents?  Depends if you mean his defensive work. Because yes defensively I'd have to agree he's very good.

And on the counter attack he's also good at giving opponents something to be wary of.

Like I've said, I wouldn't sell him. But running around a lot isn't caring more than other players. Some players have to run around to make up where they're lacking. My dog would run around a lot and he doesn't care about Derby. 

The reverse argument for for me would be if Russell showed as much quality as other players throughout the season then we'd be one heck of a team. 

Players know what they can offer. And like any of us in any line of work you expect others to do their bit. If everyone does their bit then you can do what you're good at.

That's how a team should work. You don't need 11 blokes running themselves into the ground and kissing the badge. You match people up to compliment each other. 

I hate that so many people measure effort and passion with running. Not every role requires Mo Farah

Absolutely this. People see things on a piece of paper and think..... Hey he's a top player. I wonder how many opposition fans say "I'd love to have him in my team" etc (in general on any player) 

There's stats to suit every argument. The pair of eyes we have is the greatest asset...... Some think he's brilliant..... Others like me not so who find him inconsistent and average. Like you I don't buy running more than anyone else thing either, similar to the Bryson thing for me. 

Not saying their bad players. 

It's not about being happy with what you have it's about improvement. This squad/team will not get us promoted. It hasn't been good enough for the last few seasons. Pearson needs time to see his players in games and to change the squad as he wants. If your happy with our team then that means staying in the championship. We essentially need Better players that's why we keep failing. But if you think russell is brilliant and the answer then keep believing that 

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

All those teams are still in the Championship .

And your point? You asked me what I thought was his greatest goal for Derby, not the most important or against the best opposition.

7 minutes ago, rynny said:

And your point? You asked me what I thought was his greatest goal for Derby, not the most important or against the best opposition.

Where are his goals against the promoted  teams since he's been at Derby. 

Does he turn up in the big games. 

Those goals are all at Home. 

Any good away goals. 

Does he create goals for others ! As that is also very important  

Archived