Rio Olympics

Curtains

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, sage said:

Basketball is in the olympics

Baseball is 11th. 

The IOC are desperate to get India more involved/excited with the Olympics, Easy win.

Didn't realise basketball was in the Olympics. Surprised baseball isn't in the top 10 with it being so popular in Asia. 

Just now, Squid said:

Didn't realise basketball was in the Olympics. Surprised baseball isn't in the top 10 with it being so popular in Asia. 

Baseball used to be. They can only have a certain number if sports in it. Recent adutions have seen BMX, Mountain Biking and golf which baseball has gone, cant think of many others to disappear but maybe some events within sports have gone.

3 minutes ago, sage said:

Cricket is played at Test level by countries which total almost a quarter of the world's population.

It would be aT20 tournament but would the best players go to it. Would the Cricket authorities be as stubborn about a GBR team as the football ones have been?

2 minutes ago, davenportram said:

It would be aT20 tournament but would the best players go to it. Would the Cricket authorities be as stubborn about a GBR team as the football ones have been?

In cricket, England and Wales play as England. Northern Irish play for Ireland. Just the sweaties to worry about, I think they would be fine though. Plenty of jocks have played for England, one even captained England. 

Yes i think the best players would go. It avoids the IPL which is cricket's money bucket 

28 minutes ago, sage said:

In cricket, England and Wales play as England. Northern Irish play for Ireland. Just the sweaties to worry about, I think they would be fine though. Plenty of jocks have played for England, one even captained England. 

Yes i think the best players would go. It avoids the IPL which is cricket's money bucket 

Yes, have been a few Scots play cricket for England - David Larter, Peter Such, Mike Denness - I'm sure there are a few others.

Then of course, there's Rahul McDravid

2 hours ago, Squid said:

Yeah, and it's not amateurs, it's the full on multi multi millionaire American first team. They're not in the Olympic village, because they hired a luxury cruise liner to sit in the bay. A slightly uneven playing field o feel. 

2 minutes ago, sage said:

Nottingham host and win the backwards Olympics every 4 years. 

Faster, Higher, Stronger. 

Yet they give out medals for swimming in 3 different disciplines which are not the quickest way from A to B.

Egg and Spoon 100m, anyone?

12 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

With all this talk of swimming, if we removed it from the Medal Table (forwards and backwards) apparently we'd be top!

1 GBR 20 16 13 49

2 CHN 18 10 18 46

3 USA 15 24 22 61

4 GER 13  8 10 31

5 RUS 12 12 14 38

That's a case, if ever I saw one, to remove swimming from the olympics. Or remove USA.

Haven't they had enough drugs cheats in their time to be looking down the business end of a blanket ban yet?

11 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

With all this talk of swimming, if we removed it from the Medal Table (forwards and backwards) apparently we'd be top!

1 GBR 20 16 13 49

2 CHN 18 10 18 46

3 USA 15 24 22 61

4 GER 13  8 10 31

5 RUS 12 12 14 38

If Cycling was removed we'd probably plummet too. 

Archived