Rio Olympics

Curtains

16 minutes ago, sage said:

Another gold, this time in the sailing, hopefully another one in the tennis later.

A certain gold in the men's sprint at the Velodrome as well, of course. Both British riders in the final.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, davenportram said:

That gold won't be added to the table until all races are completed on Tuesday - so good he won it with two days to spare.

Should be looking at 50-60 medals with around 20 golds. Not bad for little old Britain. 

One man should take credit for all this for a decision he made in the 90s to set aside lottery money for sport.

Well played Mr Major, hope you're quaffing a nice little single malt with a little smile on your face. This is your legacy. Not what the shoddy media in this country portrayed you as.

3 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

One man should take credit for all this for a decision he made in the 90s to set aside lottery money for sport.

Well played Mr Major, hope you're quaffing a nice little single malt with a little smile on your face. This is your legacy. Not what the shoddy media in this country portrayed you as.

Of course he could have set aside the £3.3bn he lost on Black Wednesday instead :ph34r:  

10 minutes ago, sage said:

Of course he could have set aside the £3.3bn he lost on Black Wednesday instead :ph34r:  

Reckon I could match that if you let me loose with that money on the stock exchange :ph34r:

1 minute ago, davenportram said:

Arent we on schedule to beat  London's total medals? If we do that would be one hell of an away win.

I think we are slightly behind, certainly in terms of medals per day. Sadly beyond Mo I can't see us getting another medal in the athletics, maybe a relay bronze. The athletics are the top area in my book. Closest to the traditional modern olympics.

2 minutes ago, davenportram said:

Arent we on schedule to beat  London's total medals? If we do that would be one hell of an away win.

In the modern age it's nothing short of phenomenal considering the strength of larger nations.

Do wonder about the Ruskies in the other events, some of those 4th's may have been 3rds etc

11 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

In the modern age it's nothing short of phenomenal considering the strength of larger nations.

Do wonder about the Ruskies in the other events, some of those 4th's may have been 3rds etc

I bet athletes like Geoff Capes and Kathy Cook must wonder how many medals they would have won if they were up against clean athletes.

3 hours ago, Zag zig said:

I wonder if anyone would ever have enough time on their hands to work out, if there was a medal for 4th place (chocolate), how many we'd have. I know there were loads in the pool. 

3 hours ago, sage said:

I think we are slightly behind, certainly in terms of medals per day. Sadly beyond Mo I can't see us getting another medal in the athletics, maybe a relay bronze. The athletics are the top area in my book. Closest to the traditional modern olympics.

We were 1 ahead of London at  before yesterday's stupendous haul.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/36970388

3 hours ago, sage said:

As well as Mo's 5k, Laura Muir will medal (potentially any colour) in the wonen's 1500m. I think the team have specifically targetted all four relays as medal opportunities and been working hard at them. You never knw, we might even get the baton round in the men's 4 x 100m. Then again...

Perhaps a surprise bronze from somewhere like the high jump? The team is buzzing right now.

Loving the Games, I alus do.

Wowed by the GB cyclists, the gymnasts, the swimmers, the rowers...everyone really, they're all awesome.

On 13/08/2016 at 10:40, therealhantsram said:

Actually I think in this case you are wrong. Redgrave won 5 consecutive golds over 5 Olympics. That's 16/17 years as the very best in the world. Astonishing.

I agree & that sort of proves my point. Redgrave won 5 golds by being great in one event & because rowing doesn't have multiple distances (& relays) like, say, swimming.

For me the cyclists that do multiple events and recover in short spaces of time to ride world records are amazing.

Cav in the omnium, 6 events in two days. 3 each day with an hour inbetween them. They are all done to a high standard with the pursuit element beimg won in an OR (beating Wiggins time from 2012). 

Archived