All quiet on the transfer front...

Kernow

I'm glad this season we seem to be taking our time. We've had two years in a row where the new manager was announced almost on the same day of the year. I believe Clement was on the 1st June 2015 whilst Pearson was a few days earlier in 2016.

By the 22nd June 2015 we had signed the following:

Chris Baird - ended up being loaned out

Darren Bent - made about 3 starts all season

Scott Carson - okay this one has been a decent signing

Alex Pearce - yet to appear for us in a league match

Andi Weimann - a bit-part player. Often failed to make our bench

That's five signings with only one actually improving the starting eleven. It gives me more faith that we seem to not be rushing any transfer decisions, and are yet to be categorically linked to a single player. Instead most of the talk has been of those leaving Derby and Pearson looks to be fully evaluating the squad he has to work with before making any decisions, which I think is a much more sensible course of action.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phew, saw the thread title and thought ffs here we go, it's not even July yet and someones moaning we've made no signings!

Will be one thread in the next couple weeks tho, guarantee it, in full agreement with you by the way.

Depending on the system we might not need any signings at all this year. Sometimes think we all forget just how strong this squad is and how much talent is at our disposal. 

Some have written the likes of Weimann, Johnson, Bent off, these are top top players for this level that we didn't see the best of last season. Far too quick to shout he's crap, bin him off and spend x million on x player please.

Stability.

Starting a fresh each season won't do us any good, we have a big influx of players last season, no need to introduce another bunch of new faces to the dressing room. 

I'm with you david , I believe the squad is good enough to get promoted as it is , maybe a couple of new signings but that is all that is required , I keep on hearing Newcastle are a certainty to go up , no one is certain to go up in this crazy league but we are due a break with the likes of injuries and if that happens I'm very confident we will go very close

18 minutes ago, David said:

Phew, saw the thread title and thought ffs here we go, it's not even July yet and someones moaning we've made no signings!

I'm glad the title drew you in through suspense :D

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

I'm glad the title drew you in through suspense :D

Bris would have been proud of the clickbaitability.

I was looking at Pearson's signings for Leicester recently. Although he did bring 4 players in on July 1st in their promotion season, that's not his usual style. He tends to bring them in mid July through to the end of the window - I'd be inclined to say we will definitely bring someone in on deadline day if past signing patterns are anything to go by. Also interesting to see he generally does a number of deals for free agents after the window has shut.

No changes really required. Our squad is decent and on our day we can beat anyone. Hopefully, Nigel's contribution will be to make that day more often. 

We have so many players that we need to give a decent run before we move them on and bring in players that may or may not work. 

I have been wrong before though, so expect 7 players to come in tomorrow. 

8 hours ago, valleyram said:

I'm with you david , I believe the squad is good enough to get promoted as it is , maybe a couple of new signings but that is all that is required , I keep on hearing Newcastle are a certainty to go up , no one is certain to go up in this crazy league but we are due a break with the likes of injuries and if that happens I'm very confident we will go very close

Agree with this, two, maybe three quality additions is all we need as long we don't lose key players.

5 hours ago, Jon_Grooves said:

Its way too early to even think about signings. Once the euros have finished then maybe itll start. Until then, nothing is going to happen. Nothing worth talking about anyway

Hendricks been sold by a fair few already after tonight. 

9 hours ago, Rample said:

I was looking at Pearson's signings for Leicester recently. Although he did bring 4 players in on July 1st in their promotion season, that's not his usual style. He tends to bring them in mid July through to the end of the window - I'd be inclined to say we will definitely bring someone in on deadline day if past signing patterns are anything to go by. Also interesting to see he generally does a number of deals for free agents after the window has shut.

Anyone fancy listing his signings in each window, but I think it has been done very well somewhere on a different thread.

I think the Jan window will be more interesting , can't see us doing too much before the season starts , almost everyone Derby fan or not agrees there is enough talent in our squad to get us promoted , Pearson will know this ,what he won't know is which of these players have the mental grit to do it when it matters , talent gets you so far but you need real character too , my bet is he will pretty much go with what we have and by Jan will know first hand which players have it and which fall short ,, that's why I for one will be patient with Pearson , don't forget we have fallen short over the last three seasons and there's a reason for that ,there's no point coming in and throwing away players that might well have what it takes or bringing in players who may not be as good as what we have if they are used and motivated in the way Pearson wants

I think we have a good squad and I'm glad we haven't rushed into any signings again this year.

I'd like to see NP given the time to assess the squad and maybe move 3 or 4 out to bring in a couple of first team players to freshen things up a bit.  We bought enough squad players last season, lets get a couple of quality players in this time around.

Archived