My top three highlights during Derby County matches

Rampage

Alan Gladys Hintons goal against Arsenal in the 5-0 rout in the 70`s.

Any game Charlie George pulled on a Derby jersey especially the european nights.

worst game the semi final against manure at Hillsborough. I still hate Gordon Hill lol

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Was meeting Sir Bobby at an awards ceremony in Chad (how bizarre is that statement) if so I didn't realise it was the same day as that Everton game and that goal!!! 

If not just ignore me, to much Red wine :D

So who did you play for at the time?? I was at Mickleover Allstars 

32 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

So who did you play for at the time?? I was at Mickleover Allstars 

Sunnyhill (Derby community league - Saturday mornings) 

On 10/06/2016 at 07:54, Rampage said:

Derby County fans must have seen millions of Rams games between them. As we are in that short period between playing seasons when there are no games, here is a chance to reminisce about some players and games that were specially significant to you..Some suggestions :-

1. Most memorable goal, game or away trip involving the Rams

2. Most memorable player and performance by a player that you witnessed at a game

3. Most bizarre event at a Rams match that you attended.

In short, an opportunity to entertain us with your memories until the Pre Season starts.

1. Most memorable goal- when Sturridge lobbed Seaman :o  vs Arsenal at Pride Park in the 3-0 (His goal at Highbury the season before wasn't too shabby either :lol:)

Game- as above

Away trip- Blackburn in the season that didn't exist, great day out, shame their was a football match to ruin it :lol:.

2. Memorable performance- Steve Davies is in the 1-0 league cup game against Man U, Rafael couldn't get near him, tore him a new one.

Wanchope and Sturridge in the Arsenal game above,  Wanchope at home against Man U same season (in fact most games that season)

Hughes and Hendrick in the play off semi against Brighton at home.

3. Most bizarre event- Lights going out against Wimbledon

Youl Mawene's goal against Southampton in the 01-02 season.

Good thread!

I'm still scratching my head but my initial thoughts are.

Derby beating Palace to get promotion in 96.Besides getting promotion etc,me my brother and Dad all had season tickets that year and went together(that was the only time).

Wanchope goal....fantastic.

Seeing my 14 year old fill up with tears last year at Rotherham when Will Hughes came back out of the entrance and put his arm round him.

Any match listening to Graham Richards...it's a goal!!

20 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Seeing my 14 year old fill up with tears last year at Rotherham when Will Hughes came back out of the entrance and put his arm round him.

:ph34r:

3 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Probably played each other then, small world isn't it...

Yeah a bet we did, you might recognise me........from behind as I would of probably skinned you :thumbsup::ph34r:

19 hours ago, WystonRam said:

For me seeing Bryson score at the trees and a win, my one and only time I have seen us win there.

2. Most memorable player and performance by a player that you witnessed at a game

Peter Shilton keeping Newcastle at bay in the late 80's ,0-0 and it could have been 6 or 7 to Newcastle. The entire main stand stayed to clap him off the pitch-amazing performance. Newcastle's ground was being redeveloped then so we only got 1500 tickets.

3. Most bizarre event at a Rams match that you attended

Newport away new years day 1985(?), game abandoned after 42 minutes after absolutely torrential rain, it probably should never have gone ahead. The away end was pretty much flooded !

That performance at Newcastle was just unbelievable. I watched it again on YouTube recently and the highlights don't do Shilts justice.  

The fact that it took us nearly six hours to get back for last orders at the Willington House Hotel cos we ran out of petrol also made it one of the most memorable away days as well as one of the longest !

Most Memorable Goal

Shane Nicholson  a 40 yard screamer vs Sheff Wednesday at the baseball ground 1993/94. Game finished 3-3.

( I think this was the only goal he ever scored for Derby )

Most Memorable Player and performance

Dean Sturridge . Derby beat Arsenal 3-0 at Pride Park 1997-98. Arsenal were unbeaten coming to Derby and we destroyed them. 0-0 at half time , Arsenal missed penalty . Second half Wanchope scored 2 and Sturridge scored the 3rd. He scored a worldy by lobbing Seaman. Arsenal then went on to win the league.

Most Bizarre Event

Mart Poom scoring a 90th minute  header to equalise for Sunderland vs Derby at Pride Park 2003/4.

( How many returning players score against Derby ? )

Also

Flood lights failing at the first game at Pride Park

In a game vs Bolton Wanderers at Pride Park , Eranio was given offside on numerous occasions (  I am sure it was double figures ) during the game, tv replay showed that on every occasion he was on side !

On 10 June 2016 at 07:54, Rampage said:

Derby County fans must have seen millions of Rams games between them. As we are in that short period between playing seasons when there are no games, here is a chance to reminisce about some players and games that were specially significant to you..Some suggestions :-

3. Most bizarre event at a Rams match that you attended.

In short, an opportunity to entertain us with your memories until the Pre Season starts.

1) Goal. A penalty. Trevor Christie, cool as custard...I started following Derby n the very early 80's, so this was the first time I'd seen us have any success. Magic.

2) Player: Paulo Wanchope. Worth the ticket just to see what he'd do next. Performance: Dean Saunders on debut. Two goals against Wimbledon. We'd battled along to stay up the previous year, but when Deano signed you thought, bloody hell, he's different class. Eye opener. Similar experience watching Will Hughes in an age group game at PPS before he made his full debut. He was two leagues above anyone else on the pitch. I said he'd play for England after that game, and he still might.

3) Fulham. Mental.

On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 11:34, DeanYatesFarPost said:

Most Memorable Goal

Shane Nicholson  a 40 yard screamer vs Sheff Wednesday at the baseball ground 1993/94. Game finished 3-3.

( I think this was the only goal he ever scored for Derby )

Most Memorable Player and performance

Dean Sturridge . Derby beat Arsenal 3-0 at Pride Park 1997-98. Arsenal were unbeaten coming to Derby and we destroyed them. 0-0 at half time , Arsenal missed penalty . Second half Wanchope scored 2 and Sturridge scored the 3rd. He scored a worldy by lobbing Seaman. Arsenal then went on to win the league.

Most Bizarre Event

Mart Poom scoring a 90th minute  header to equalise for Sunderland vs Derby at Pride Park 2003/4.

( How many returning players score against Derby ? )

Also

Flood lights failing at the first game at Pride Park

In a game vs Bolton Wanderers at Pride Park , Eranio was given offside on numerous occasions (  I am sure it was double figures ) during the game, tv replay showed that on every occasion he was on side !

Didn't everyone score by lobbing Seaman?

1. Most memorable goal 

Tommy Johnson in the 1994 play off final. We looked so good early on with our flair players and I was so up for it I even broke 2 years of giving up smoking by accepting a fag from the lass sitting next to me. 

2. Most memorable performance 

Bruce rioch in my first match in 1975 vs spurs. He just bossed the midfield and blasted a trademark 30 yard thunderbolt goal. As a nipper I was mesmerised by the muscles in his legs,  the shining embrocation and how hard he thumped the ball.

3. Most bizarre incident.

The penalty spot being painted on the bbg pitch in 1977 against man city. For some reason as we declined into awfulness under Tommy doc we always managed to nick a home win against citeh. 

1 hour ago, HantsRam said:

1. Most memorable goal 

Tommy Johnson in the 1994 play off final. We looked so good early on with our flair players and I was so up for it I even broke 2 years of giving up smoking by accepting a fag from the lass sitting next to me. 

2. Most memorable performance 

Bruce rioch in my first match in 1975 vs spurs. He just bossed the midfield and blasted a trademark 30 yard thunderbolt goal. As a nipper I was mesmerised by the muscles in his legs,  the shining embrocation and how hard he thumped the ball.

3. Most bizarre incident.

The penalty spot being painted on the bbg pitch in 1977 against man city. For some reason as we declined into awfulness under Tommy doc we always managed to nick a home win against citeh. 

I saw all three, HantsRam

Archived