My top three highlights during Derby County matches

Rampage

Derby County fans must have seen millions of Rams games between them. As we are in that short period between playing seasons when there are no games, here is a chance to reminisce about some players and games that were specially significant to you..Some suggestions :-

1. Most memorable goal, game or away trip involving the Rams

2. Most memorable player and performance by a player that you witnessed at a game

3. Most bizarre event at a Rams match that you attended.

In short, an opportunity to entertain us with your memories until the Pre Season starts.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my greatest memories was watching the game against Plymouth at the end of the 1986/87 season beating them 4 - 2 to secure the second division championship.

Arthur Cox was manager.

Grown men behind me crying at the end and boy what an atmosphere.

Booby Davidson at his best 

Most bizarre event - half time during Derby v Finn Harps. A lttle old guy said to me "What's the score, me owd?"

I replied "Nine nil."

He said "B**ger me. I've just been for a crap and missed five goals."

Bizarre that anyone ever went for a crap in the popside bogs and

a) There was bogroll

and

b) He survived.

1 hour ago, eddie said:

Most bizarre event - half time during Derby v Finn Harps. A lttle old guy said to me "What's the score, me owd?"

I replied "Nine nil."

He said "B**ger me. I've just been for a crap and missed five goals."

Bizarre that anyone ever went for a crap in the popside bogs and

a) There was bogroll

and

b) He survived.

Heaven help his Reg Grundies if there was no bog roll.

Bobbys first goal in this amazing game !!

best day (and night) in my time supporting the Rams !

oooh are robin van der laan, another one of the few legends of the past thirty years, was a good captain and this was my second best day (and night) being a Ram.

just how did we get away with it ?? !!

one of the most bizzare incidents at a game of football ever !!

2 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

One of my greatest memories was watching the game against Plymouth at the end of the 1986/87 season beating them 4 - 2 to secure the second division championship.

Arthur Cox was manager.

Grown men behind me crying at the end and boy what an atmosphere.

Booby Davidson at his best 

I was there that game, my one and only game at the baseball ground when I was 13, what an atmosphere that was. Spent all my birthday money on a ticket

If my memory serves me we were behind in that game and rumour spread among the crowd of another score line which helped us. This then filtered to the pitch and off they went on a scoring spree.

I stand to be corrected (getting old now) Great day out

44 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

If my memory serves me we were behind in that game and rumour spread among the crowd of another score line which helped us. This then filtered to the pitch and off they went on a scoring spree.

I stand to be corrected (getting old now) Great day out

Yep, we were 1 down but then the word spread that Portsmouth (only team that could stop us winning the league) had conceded at home. It was like cheering a goal. Within minutes we were playing like champions and scoring for fun. Bobby and Callys goals that day are 2 of my favourites ever.

Seen some other great games and goals but I'm gutted forever I didn't go to Old Trafford in 97 to see us humiliate ManU. And to see THAT goal. And I don't mean Ashley Ward's mishit volley into the turf that looped over owd Schmeicel. Although it was a beauty!

2 hours ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Seen some other great games and goals but I'm gutted forever I didn't go to Old Trafford in 97 to see us humiliate ManU. And to see THAT goal. And I don't mean Ashley Ward's mishit volley into the turf that looped over owd Schmeicel. Although it was a beauty!

As special as Wanchope's goal was, Sturridge's goal is my favourite that day. Not sure if it is for the comedic value or because it was at the end we were sat. At the time Wanchope's just didn't sink in where he picked up the ball and how far he had gone and how many players he went past.

8 hours ago, Rampage said:

Derby County fans must have seen millions of Rams games between them. As we are in that short period between playing seasons when there are no games, here is a chance to reminisce about some players and games that were specially significant to you..Some suggestions :-

2. Most memorable player and performance by a player that you witnessed at a game

In short, an opportunity to entertain us with your memories until the Pre Season starts.

1. Wanchope goal at Old Trafford

2. Team performance at Old Trafford (see above)

3. Beating Man Utd at Old Trafford (see above x2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSnBWCbB1Qo

9 hours ago, Rampage said:

1 - Goal -  Would have to be Goddard's chip against Everton.  Got to meet Sir Bobby Robson the morning of the game, what a day!!!  Away trip & game go hand in hand as it was the West Brom play off final.  I lost my voice by the final whistle and could only sooth it by drinking even more beer.

2 - Igor against Man U at the BBQ.  He marked Cantona out the game that night, he literally got 5 touches the whole 90 minutes.  By far Igor's best game in a Rams shirt

3 - Probably the lights going out during the first ever Pride Park game.  Good job it was still 20-odd degrees or the stroll back into town would've been very annoying.

4 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

1 - Goal -  Would have to be Goddard's chip against Everton.  Got to meet Sir Bobby Robson the morning of the game, what a day!!!  Away trip & game go hand in hand as it was the West Brom play off final.  I lost my voice by the final whistle and could only sooth it by drinking even more beer.

2 - Igor against Man U at the BBQ.  He marked Cantona out the game that night, he literally got 5 touches the whole 90 minutes.  By far Igor's best game in a Rams shirt

3 - Probably the lights going out during the first ever Pride Park game.  Good job it was still 20-odd degrees or the stroll back into town would've been very annoying.

2. Must have been some BBQ! Was Igor in charge of grilling the meat? I bet Eric was topping everyones Kronenburg judging by the current adverts. 

;)

5 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Was meeting Sir Bobby at an awards ceremony in Chad (how bizarre is that statement) if so I didn't realise it was the same day as that Everton game and that goal!!! 

If not just ignore me, to much Red wine :D

No3, most bizarre event. I'm sure I can remember in the third division days, John Gregory getting fouled on the touchline right next to the dugout, his reaction was to pick up the trainers bucket of water and chuck it over the culprit! Gregory got the booking. 

Does anyone else remember this, or is it a figment of my imagination? 

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

Was meeting Sir Bobby at an awards ceremony in Chad (how bizarre is that statement) if so I didn't realise it was the same day as that Everton game and that goal!!! 

If not just ignore me, to much Red wine :D

It was indeed, at the old bingo hall.  

For me seeing Bryson score at the trees and a win, my one and only time I have seen us win there.

Peter Shilton keeping Newcastle at bay in the late 80's ,0-0 and it could have been 6 or 7 to Newcastle. The entire main stand stayed to clap him off the pitch-amazing performance. Newcastle's ground was being redeveloped then so we only got 1500 tickets.

3. Most bizarre event at a Rams match that you attended

Newport away new years day 1985(?), game abandoned after 42 minutes after absolutely torrential rain, it probably should never have gone ahead. The away end was pretty much flooded !

7 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

It was indeed, at the old bingo hall.  

1. Goddards goal against Everton after meting Sir Bobby at a Bingo Hall in Chad. Or Robin Van Der Laan's goal against Palace and the final whistle blowing. 

2. Any game Francesco Baiano played in, a true football genius

3. I forget the game but Robert Maxwell walking round the pitch and coming over to the key club, where he got a load of abuse from hundreds of Kids (including myself) and someone trying to hit him with an inflatable pink panther ! 

Archived