Bloody Pets

ram1964

I've three moggies, one VERY old and must be breaking records.... not sure he has too long but he keeps going. Always had cats rescued from a lesser life, though I'd rescue dogs too if I had the lifestyle. Live on my own so cats fit the bill better. Big animal lover, can't abide cruelty and any animal lover gets the thumbs up from me. Seem to have an affiliation to the black and white colour for obvious reasons!!  Good to read the stories on here and the obvious joy people receive from their pets. I used to have hamsters too after an ex gf passed one on to me but they don't last long at all!! Keep the faith Rams!! 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ram1964 said:

Cheers,he had a better day today after the anaesthetic wore off had him out out for a quiet walk and he had a packet of loin chops for his tea,so alround a good day 

It seems like a small thing, but in the future you'll be glad you spoiled him rotten when you had the chance.  Was in an almost identical situation to yours just a few years back when my previous dog, a border collie, was diagnosed with inoperable bowel cancer. I think Bert has been one of the lucky ones though, sounds like you looked after him very well. 

11 hours ago, ram1964 said:

Good look ,fingers crossed for you,if youve got any spare methadone may bob round for and dose myself up.

Cheers

Haha - the vet told us to be careful not to get any methadone on our hands as it absorbs through the skin! He's only got one dose left, then it's cold turkey time. Quite funny when he has it, his pupils just blow and he flops down looking totally blissful.

The best one if the antibiotic, he hates the taste and starts foaming at the mouth like some sort of rabid beast

He's started eating again now and looks to be able to bear weight on his front legs as he wobbles about, but it'll be a few weeks yet before he really gets any strength back.

Pets are great, have always had them and always intend to.

Got a Dogue de Bordeaux(The breed  Hooch was from the movie Turner & Hooch) named Brutus a few weeks ago from a local shelter and he has been great so far; does drool a ton lol but I knew he would.Gets along just fine with my other pets also.

Best wishes to those that have them, hopefully will provide you comfort,friendship,etc for a long time.

If anyone had told me the effects before I went through them myself, I'd probably not have believed them. 

Only ever had one, and he died about 12 years ago. That was after a long and happy life, living in an idyllic spot. 

I've probably had a cushy life, greif wise. So the digging, and filling in, is the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Destroyed me. Have never had another one since. Circumstances now not right for having one. Maybe when I'm retired. Maybe I should leave it late enough, so that the dog outlives me! 

7 hours ago, AmericanRam said:

Pets are great, have always had them and always intend to.

Got a Dogue de Bordeaux(The breed  Hooch was from the movie Turner & Hooch) named Brutus a few weeks ago from a local shelter and he has been great so far; does drool a ton lol but I knew he would.Gets along just fine with my other pets also.

Best wishes to those that have them, hopefully will provide you comfort,friendship,etc for a long time.

Always liked the dogue de bordeaux,very simular to bullmastifs tend to be a bit bigger,hope you both bring each many years of pleasure ,very loyal dogs glad you rescued him you will have a friend for  life.

Well came into the pub section spluttering away about my mate Bert,knowing the wife ;(married 4 weeks) not really effected by his news wasnt really interested and never bonded with him .In fact she had a lump removed the same day as Bert was diagnosed and her thoughts were i should have had him put him to sleep whilst at the vets.

She was told that i have had the dog alot longer than her,The dog wasnt appearing to be in any where near the pain she was whinging about and if anyone at present required Pts it was her.lol.

Anyhow cant thank you all enough for your comments,well wishes and stories ,Bert still eating and happy within himself so hopefully have a good weekend with him,dont know about the wife she can take her own medication  

My 10 year old chocolate Labrador retriever, Bruno, has got to have his ****** removed on Monday. There is a pre-cancerous lump and the vet says his pride and joys have got to go.

They really are the dogs ****** as well. Huge great things, bigger than kiwi fruits. They're pretty famous round here actually with random shouts of "Bruno big ******" as I walk him through the 'hood.

I'm thinking of having them mounted or stuffed and made into a door knocker.

2 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

My 10 year old chocolate Labrador retriever, Bruno, has got to have his ****** removed on Monday. There is a pre-cancerous lump and the vet says his pride and joys have got to go.

They really are the dogs ****** as well. Huge great things, bigger than kiwi fruits. They're pretty famous round here actually with random shouts of "Bruno big ******" as I walk him through the 'hood.

Poor Bruno!! Can't you have a big pair of prosthetic knacks fitted onto him, maybe even flavoured for when he gives himself a good licking?

Cat owner. I take in CPL strays, only ever one at a time as they prefer being on their own. I love them to bits, keep them healthy and clean and make a fuss of them but I don't insure them and when their time is up, it's up. Next cat.

I totally get why people do spend fortunes on their animals, but for me, no way. £60 for a new one.

The money people spend on pet insurance - give it to cancer research charity instead.

We have two cats and two dogs all as soft and dopey as each other... Actually the little dog we have, which is some sort of poodle/bischon/shitzu mix joined us on Wednesday this week, she flew with Virgin Atlantic over from gods green country to the land of the free and I have to say they looked after her really well, when she got out of the box, she took two steps and let go of the biggest pee I have ever seen, 16 hours in a box would do that to you I guess. Great to have the full family back together again now.

(one of the cats, my wife, who isn't interested in soccerball at all, named him Robbie Savage)

On 01/06/2016 at 23:49, needles said:

I totally get why people do spend fortunes on their animals, but for me, no way. £60 for a new one.

The money people spend on pet insurance - give it to cancer research charity instead.

We pay something like £4 a month for our cat, and it's come in handy a few times for minor stuff (infected wounds etc) and at that level pays for itself, but this recent injury has made the difference between us having him PTS or keeping him alive. We managed to hit the £4k limit to get his legs reset and he's actually walking again now albeit tentatively after two weeks of cage rest. You do wonder whether we did the right thing. Without insurance we'd have never gone ahead with it.

Tell you what though - it gives a terrifying glimpse of what a fully privatised human healthcare system would be like.

On 26 May 2016 at 02:31, Cisse said:

Dogs and animals are great. The only downside is they die so soon. Except some turtles and parrots. Bullmastiffs are so nice when they get a good home. I hope Bert enjoys the rest of his time. It's nice he has had a good home.

+1

It took me more than five years before I could even contemplate having another dog after Angie, my blue heeler - border collie cross died just shy of 18. Now I look at Ned, my JR - terrier cross I adopted in 2007, greying around the temples...and part of me is terrified of losing him.

But, when I think back at the scared, abused little boy he once was (so much so that the RSPCA staff warned me not to risk letting him off a leash as his anxiety was so extreme that he might panic and may not be able to return) compared to how he is now, I would have to force myself to do it (even if I had to get someone else to do the selection and collection on my behalf).

I couldn't deprive myself, or another animal, of that unconditional adoration and support.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎01‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 23:37, uttoxram75 said:

He's survived his op and started to adjust to life without his huge nads. There was a nasty growth on them and it was affecting him, he has a spring in his step now.

He won 3rd prize in the Oakamoor Dog Show (Senior Section) today.

Today Oakamoor, tomorrow Crufts.

7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

He's survived his op and started to adjust to life without his huge nads. There was a nasty growth on them and it was affecting him, he has a spring in his step now.

He won 3rd prize in the Oakamoor Dog Show (Senior Section) today.

Today Oakamoor, tomorrow Crufts.

Did the whole hood shout "Bruno!Bruno!Bruno!" As you entered the ring?

Well we had to have our cat put to sleep on Saturday. One of the dislocated elbows came out again, and the only other option was amputation. Had he got one good front leg that would have been OK, but to try and recover from an amputation with the remaining front leg still  weak and recovering from the dislocation surgery would have been a massive risk and far too much to put him through. So with a really heavy heart we knew what we had to do :(

14 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Well we had to have our cat put to sleep on Saturday. One of the dislocated elbows came out again, and the only other option was amputation. Had he got one good front leg that would have been OK, but to try and recover from an amputation with the remaining front leg still  weak and recovering from the dislocation surgery would have been a massive risk and far too much to put him through. So with a really heavy heart we knew what we had to do :(

A great shame. Had a cat about 5 years ago who had to have an eye out as there was glaucoma that was behind the eye putting pressure on his brain.

One op and several hundred  £ later he really didn't pick up and when we took him back about 4 weeks later were told it was all up and they recommend pts for  £30.

I know you shouldn't put a price on life but it does seem the vet system is purely designed to extract maximum cash from you. 

On 07/06/2016 at 12:13, StivePesley said:

We pay something like £4 a month for our cat, and it's come in handy a few times for minor stuff (infected wounds etc) and at that level pays for itself, but this recent injury has made the difference between us having him PTS or keeping him alive. We managed to hit the £4k limit to get his legs reset and he's actually walking again now albeit tentatively after two weeks of cage rest. You do wonder whether we did the right thing. Without insurance we'd have never gone ahead with it.

Tell you what though - it gives a terrifying glimpse of what a fully privatised human healthcare system would be like.

It would be abused beyond belief, the rise in pet insurance providers has risen tenfold in the last five years so must be a healthy markup, claims against the NHS is also on a steep upward trajectory, imagine having liability insurance with insurance based cover, the premiums would be mouthwatering.

hope your cats OK mate?

9 hours ago, HantsRam said:

I know you shouldn't put a price on life but it does seem the vet system is purely designed to extract maximum cash from you. 

You're not wrong - I read this and got quite upset about it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1232217/Why-Im-ashamed-vet-shocking-expose-profession-puts-pets-painful-unnecessary-treatments-fleece-trusting-owners.html

I then found a not-for-profit vets in Bolton

http://www.animaltrust.org.uk/about/

They list all the prices for common procedures - which are obviously priced at the bottom line, so that they can cover expenses and keep the practice running. They quote a leg amputation at £288

Pride Vets quoted £800+ - how can they keep sleep at night??

Archived