Hull it is then! (Well almost certain)

IoW Derby

19 minutes ago, RamDon said:

Didn't we simply play containment football in the away leg?

Maybe. I just remember a bit of nail biting at the end when Grant turned everything over and wide of our goal. It was a proper semi final played at pace. 

Even though we were on a roll, I was surprised how easily we thrashed Brighton in the 2nd leg. I was quite nervous beforehand. In fact the Brighton fans in the Brunny were surprised how nervous quite a few of the derby fans were. 30 mins into the match and I was calm as can be. By the second half it was 'sit back and enjoy the show' time. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 21:07, Bris Vegas said:

Hull are a funny one. They blew both Boro and Burnley away earlier in the season. They have the potential to beat us quite comfortably, yet this season we've dealt with them well.

i wonder if they are happy to face us

I have looked on their forum site and the majority of them are dreading the thought of playing us, lets hope their players are the same

2 hours ago, McLovin said:

No way that we will destroy Hull in the play offs in the same way as the league. Play off fixtures are always tight. They most likely underestimated us, that won't happen again. Boro did the double over norwich last season but lost in the play off final to them. Anything can happen which is why we love this beautiful game

Playing Hull over two legs, having beaten them twice already does favour us. Boro beat Norwich 5-0 over 2 league games, but lost in the final which was (one leg) one match final. There is a major difference having 2 bites of the cherry instead of one off game at Wembley.

I am not as thrilled as some about facing Hull. Main reason is Steve Bruce. Arseface is a great manager and he knows what to do to get results. If it comes down to tactics Wassall v Bruce is a mis-match.

I think it will be tight and I don't fancy us winning both legs I just hope we outscore them! That home leg is crucial and I think we need a 2 goal cushion.

46 minutes ago, Simsy said:

I am not as thrilled as some about facing Hull. Main reason is Steve Bruce. Arseface is a great manager and he knows what to do to get results. If it comes down to tactics Wassall v Bruce is a mis-match.

I think it will be tight and I don't fancy us winning both legs I just hope we outscore them! That home leg is crucial and I think we need a 2 goal cushion.

He didn't seem to know what to do to get a result against us in the two games this season ?

the play offs is all about who wants it the most, unless of course you are QPR !!

1 hour ago, Simsy said:

The way Bruce sets Hull up to play really suits Derby and our 4-3-3 style with Thorne having almost total freedom. Hull are based on Huddlestone and Livermore being the outstanding midfield two in the league at out passing other teams, as long as they see plenty of ball. In both games we played high up on those two and closed them down pretty well. I'm not sure Hull have another game plan. Of course it helped in the 4-0 win that they only had ten men for 30 mins but Derby did very well in exploiting that advantage too. I'd say hull will be nervy having us over two games. 

1 hour ago, StockholmRam said:

The way Bruce sets Hull up to play really suits Derby and our 4-3-3 style with Thorne having almost total freedom. Hull are based on Huddlestone and Livermore being the outstanding midfield two in the league at out passing other teams, as long as they see plenty of ball. In both games we played high up on those two and closed them down pretty well. I'm not sure Hull have another game plan. Of course it helped in the 4-0 win that they only had ten men for 30 mins but Derby did very well in exploiting that advantage too. I'd say hull will be nervy having us over two games.

I would be surprised if Hull don't mix things up or have a game plan against us. They will have an in-depth study of how we play and I can see Bryson being man marked so they can leave Martin isolated. What I mean is I think Bruce could name our starting 11 and system so they have a few weeks to work out how to beat that. Hopefully no matter what they do they just wont be able to compete with our lot!

I am certainly not saying we wont beat them, I just wouldn't be surprised if we did lose all from a Bruce tactical master class!

55 minutes ago, Simsy said:

I would be surprised if Hull don't mix things up or have a game plan against us. They will have an in-depth study of how we play and I can see Bryson being man marked so they can leave Martin isolated. What I mean is I think Bruce could name our starting 11 and system so they have a few weeks to work out how to beat that. Hopefully no matter what they do they just wont be able to compete with our lot!

I am certainly not saying we wont beat them, I just wouldn't be surprised if we did lose all from a Bruce tactical master class!

I think if we lost to them...( it's Derby..it's the playoffs...anything is entirely possible) it would be more about us being too nervous or just not reaching the levels needed. A dropping of form maybe.

Hull don't play any other way than what we've seen this system and I highly doubt he would change it now given the time needed to employ a new system the players are not familiar with. Good luck trying to man mark Bryson!!! Any other player in our league have his energy levels over 90 mins??

i don't buy into the " Steve Bruce master tactician " at all. He buys good players, sets them up to play in a certain way and goes for his players, his system being the best... 

The one at Hull we need to watch is Snodgrass. DO NOT give stupid needless free kicks away around the penalty area. He is deadly in those areas. And FFS play a proper LB against him. 

1 hour ago, StockholmRam said:

I think if we lost to them...( it's Derby..it's the playoffs...anything is entirely possible) it would be more about us being too nervous or just not reaching the levels needed. A dropping of form maybe.

Hull don't play any other way than what we've seen this system and I highly doubt he would change it now given the time needed to employ a new system the players are not familiar with. Good luck trying to man mark Bryson!!! Any other player in our league have his energy levels over 90 mins??

i don't buy into the " Steve Bruce master tactician " at all. He buys good players, sets them up to play in a certain way and goes for his players, his system being the best... 

The one at Hull we need to watch is Snodgrass. DO NOT give stupid needless free kicks away around the penalty area. He is deadly in those areas. And FFS play a proper LB against him. 

They have played 3-5-2 quite a few times over the last 2 seasons.

On 4/24/2016 at 20:47, Rampage said:

Ulloa may well be getting his Premier winning medal in a couple of weeks, two goals today including a great header.Good luck to him, a good investment at £7 million

I remember thinking Brighton had mugged Leicester right off at the time. I still think £7m is a bit much for him. £1m for Vardy, now that's a good investment. 

2 minutes ago, Howard Canitbé said:

I remember thinking Brighton had mugged Leicester right off at the time. I still think £7m is a bit much for him. £1m for Vardy, now that's a good investment. 

He paid back at least a million with his two goals on sunday and has scored a few other vital goals. Leicester get £90 million from Sky for winning the League!!! He has made a significant contribution to one of the most astonishing football stories in the history of the game. They started as fourth least likely to win the League at 5000/1 and they were 1/18 last night. If he scores the winner at Old Trafford in the next game then he is a legend.

On 4/23/2016 at 17:34, plymouthram said:

We need to beat Brighton next week, then we should avoid Boro and Burnley. We don't want 4th spot, only one team as won promotion from 4th spot in the last 26 seasons!!! With 3 teams on 87pts going into their last two games, who ever misses out on automatics will be down in the dumps and might find themselves out of the promotion frame after their first match in the play offs. Lets stay 5th please, put 4th placed team to the sword in the home leg.

Thought this stat seemed fishy. So I did some fishing.

Within the last 27 seasons (1988/89-2014/15), here are the frequencies of which position yielded the winning club:

3rd: 10

4th: 5

5th: 7

6th: 5

In the 1990/91 season, 4th-7th place competed for the play-offs, so essentially there 4th=3rd, 5th=4th etc. Similar for 1994/1995, where league positions 2-5 competed. 

The highest-placed team in the play-offs has won more often than any other. The second highest (4th mostly) has won promotion 5 times in the last 27 seasons, the same number of times the final team (6th mostly) has won promotion. Weird, given that most people seem to think 4th place is unlucky, and 6th place the plucky outsider who get lucky. 

Hope this helps to dispel the "4th place is unlucky" hoodoo. 

We need to get Dean Saunders to sit in Steve Bruces eyeline. Bruce would be catatonic with shock. From Memory wasn't Deano the nemisis of Bruce, I seem to remember once he turned him so quickly Bruce was actually stood there like a cartoon looking from one side to the other with that "where'd he go" expression on his face.

Would love it if some of you IT whizzes could find that on video ......

9 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

We need to get Dean Saunders to sit in Steve Bruces eyeline. Bruce would be catatonic with shock. From Memory wasn't Deano the nemisis of Bruce, I seem to remember once he turned him so quickly Bruce was actually stood there like a cartoon looking from one side to the other with that "where'd he go" expression on his face.

Would love it if some of you IT whizzes could find that on video ......

I was a postman for a number of years in Stockport. I delivered to an expensive car dealer who was good mates with Bruce. Met Bruce twice and had some decent banter about Deano turning him inside out at OT. He took it with good grace though did refer to Deano in a way I couldn't possibly repeat on here..... Fair play to him..... And he really really should have played for England!!! I didn't tell him that though. 

Archived